The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 374 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,778
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dear Thepeug,

I can personally highly recommend Skete.com icons. The quality is exceptional, the service is very quick, and the packing is above standard.

If you are interested in extremely high quality hand painted icons, at possibly the best price in the industry, then try:

http://www.agapeicons.com/

These icons are hand painted/written. I ordered a few from the dealer for St. Nicholas gifts and the package came from Thessalon�ki Greece. I believe proceeds benefit monastic communities on the Holy Mountain (Mt. Athos) [someone please correct me if this is faulty info]. It did take approximately 30 days from ordering to receiving, but worth it!

Good luck.

In Christ,

Michael

I also recommend Skete.com. Three of my icons are from Skete, and I consider them some of the highest quality mounted icon prints I possess.

Another great location to find mounted icon prints is Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, Mass. (http://htmadmin.phpwebhosting.com/). Their icons are very inexpensive, of superior quality, and are beautifully laminated. (Actually, the lamination can be good or bad, depending upon whether or not your light source causes a glare.) Their icon of the Hospitality of Abraham was a wedding gift to my wife and I from one of my former theology professors. I gave a deacon an icon of both St. Stephen and St. Laurence together --a rare find.

I ought to warn you that some contributors to our forum have discouraged purchases from this monastery due to their anti-Catholic sentiments. On a personal note, when I worked at the Weston School of Theology Library back in the mid-90's some of the monks used to come by on Sunday afternoons and do research. They were very friendly. They have likewise been very pleasant to order from, even though they did insert a triumphalist pamphlet into the shipment :rolleyes: .

Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you both for the suggestions. The icons at both sites are beautiful. I want to develop a daily prayer routine and construct a modest icon corner to help maintain this routine. Among all these websites, it looks like I've got quite a few options. Thanks again.

God bless,

Chris

A
A
1) In my experience, some Roman Catholic churches will take palms to burn for ashes for Ash Wednesday. Ditto, some Byzantine and Orthodox churches will collect pussy willows or palms for proper disposal (burning) as well. My baba was buried in an Orthodox cemetery, so we would occasionally leave blessed objects like pussy willows on graves, because they would be properly and respectfully taken. This poses a problem for me now because I tend to leave objects on more local family graves in a military cemetery where I am not sure that would occur. Feeling funny about not leaving pussy willows, I leave ones that are from the garden and not from the church service and keep the real ones in my home with the festal icon to remind me to think of our deceased family members.

2) I lucked out and inherited such a book (a 1948 edition). I have seen many good collections, including the Byzantine Book of Prayer, as well as a two volume collection from Eastern Christian publications (Let us Pray to the Lord, I think?) and Come to Me (short Carpatho Russian-Orthodox prayer book, one volume).

3) Icon & Book Store in DC or Light & Life Publications. Don't know 'em off hand, but if no one else has given the URLs above and they don't pop up on Google, I can find them in my bookmarks and post. (I apologize I did not read all the responses.)

Originally posted by Thepeug:
To avoid creating two separate threads and wasting bandwidth, I've decided to post three brief questions in one thread. If this is against forum policy, please let me know!

1) Sacred objects: I still have my pussy willow from Palm Sunday of this year and a white flower in honor of my mother (deceased) from the Mother's Day liturgy, both of which were blessed by a priest. I understand that blessed objects should not simply be thrown in the trash. What's the proper method of disposal?

2) I'm in search of a Byzantine prayer book that contains morning prayers, evening prayers, and prayers for feast days and liturgical events. I've heard that the new Melkite horologion (sp?) is a good one. Has anyone used this book? Any other recommendations that won't break the bank for a Ruthenian Catholic?

3) I'm also in search of a Byzantine crucifix to hang on my wall. Any website recommendations?

Thanks so much!

God bless,

Chris

Is it okay to throw away catalogs (such as Light and Life, etc.) which have icons within its pages? If not, how can I dispose of old catalogs which are taking up so much space?

I've been told that it is permitted to burn them (books, catalogs etc)in your fireplace...though I don't know the particulars for other items.

james

I
I
Blessed flowers and foliage can quite properly be buried, especially in an actual garden. I have no immediate thought on what to do with color icon-prints included in commercial publications. I suppose they could be clipped, mounted and given away.

Incognitus

With regards to relics, especially first class relics, is it permissable for a layperson to possess a relic and keep it in their home icon corner for veneration?

In Christ,

Michael

T
T
Originally posted by Michael B:
With regards to relics, especially first class relics, is it permissable for a layperson to possess a relic and keep it in their home icon corner for veneration?

In Christ,

Michael
Yes, you may!

Time was when it was fairly easy to get them from the relic bank in Rome but eBay ruined that - lots of people selling real and fake ones like in the Middle Ages. (It's against canon law to sell relics - you pay for the little metal and glass holder, the thecla, they come in.) Now private people can't get them from there but maybe your priest can for you.

Somebody mentioned Icon and Book Service - I understand they keep and give relics owned by deceased priests so you can get one there.

Thank you for the info!

In Christ,

Michael

Originally posted by Thepeug:
Has anyone had experience with Skete.com? After browsing through their catalog, it looks like they have some really amazing icons, as well a Russian wall crucifix, at decent prices. I've been looking for an icon of St. John Climacus for awhile, and I was really excited to see that this site has two icons of the holy man.

Holy father John Climacus, pray for us!
I love their icons and have bought a number from them - including the smaller Russian wall crucifix!! They come highly recommended in my book, Thepeug.

Sam

Originally posted by incognitus:
Blessed flowers and foliage can quite properly be buried, especially in an actual garden. I have no immediate thought on what to do with color icon-prints included in commercial publications. I suppose they could be clipped, mounted and given away.

Incognitus
Unfortunately it would take more time than I have to clip and mount every icon in every catalog I have (some of which are over 100 pages). Burning isn't pratical since I have no fireplace and live in town, and might get in trouble for starting a fire. Burying would work, except in winter.....

Dear Westerner,

Donate your catalogs, etc to your parish bookstore and/or parish members. What a nice thing to do, and it lets them worry about what to do with them later. biggrin biggrin biggrin

Michael

W
W
Originally posted by Father Anthony:

BTW, from what I hear of the new Melkite Horologion it has rave reviews. Unfortunately my bank account is on the rather low side, so it has to be put on my wish list.

[...]

I think I am going to but my two copies of Byzantine Daily Worship under lock and key. I wonder how many other liturgical books in my library have shot up in value like this one?

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Father,
It appears that you have remedied your previous problem. If you sell your Daily Worship copies for $200 a piece, then purchase the $52 version, you will have $350 left over to buoy the bank account and afford the Melkite Horologian.

biggrin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.