The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, San Nicolas), 365 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,399
Posts416,772
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63504 09/20/04 01:46 AM
V
verismo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hello all!

I have heard that the Melkite Absolution Prayer that the Priest uses to absolve the penitent is absolutely beautiful, but I can't find it anywhere. Could anyone help me please?

Thanks so much!

It is absolutely beautiful! I have heard it many times as it was prayed over me.

I will ask Fr. Deacon Stan in the morning, if it is in one of his books.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Verismo,

Our Lord and God Jesus Christ, Who gave this command to His divine and holy disciples and apostles; to loose and to bind the sins of people, forgives you from on high, all your sins and offenses. I, His unworthy servant, who have received from these Apostles the power to do the same, absolve you from all censures, in as much as I can and am able, according to your need of it. Moreover, I absolve you from all your sins which you have confessed before God and my unworthiness. In the name + of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

(the following may then be said by the priest, it is not required)

God, through Nathan the prophet, forgave David his sins; and Peter shedding bitter tears over his denial; and the adulteress weeping at his feet; and the publican and the prodigal son. May this same God, through me, a sinner, forgive + you everything in this life and in the life to come. And may you stand uncondemned before His awesome judgment-seat, for His Name is blessed forever and ever. Amen.
translated from the Byzantine Melkite Euchologion, St. Paul Printing Press, Jounieh, Lebanon, 1977; text is that approved by the Holy Synod of the Melkite Greek-Catholic Church on 3 May 1968.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
V
verismo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Oh my. Thank you so much! That is wonderful.

I really do appreciate it.

Unfortunately the second optional prayer is the original Byzantine prayer of absolution. The first (while there is nothing wrong with it) is a concession to scholastic requirements that even the Russian Orthodox adopted.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Dear Father Deacon Lance,

Yes, indeed!

The second prayer was mandated, I believe, by St Peter Mohyla of Kyiv and he was most definitely influenced by scholasticism.

And I understand that one could never have gotten him started on the subject of purgatory!

God bless,

Alex

Thanks Neil!

Archimandrite Frank always includes the second prayer. It is so wonderful to hear especially as one is standing before the Icon of Christ.

Very beautiful! It is nice to see this here. I have only confessed in the Latin Rite, always wondering if the Melkite differences might be confusing to me as a first-timer.

Neil or Pani-Rose, when you first approach the priest for confession in the Melkite rite, do you begin with the same form as in the Latin rite? "Bless me father for I have sinned, it has been X amount of time since my last confession, etc.", or something similar?

Is there a prayer of contrition for the penitent?

This kind of practical info is good for the soul of a RC who doesn't know the proper Melkite form.

God Bless You both for your openness,

Tammy

HI Tammy,

When I've confessed to a Byzantine priest, I use the Roman form: "Bless me Father..." After counseling me about ways to avoid sin and to make amends to those I have offended, the priest says the prayer of absolution according to the Byzantine Church.

The priest knows that I am a Latin Catholic and always seems comfortable hearing my confession using the Latin form (except for the absolution prayer).

I find all priests willing to accomodate sinners. Like I tell my kids, if you need help in confessional, ask the priest. He wants to help you make a good confession.

That is my experience in receiving the mystery of confession in the Byzantine tradition.

I hope it helps you.

Christ is our peace.

Paul

L
L
How does a Byzantine ask for forgiveness in Confession? I, like Paul, being a Latin Catholic, use the "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned..." format.

What's the Byzantine format? I know that the Confession takes place in front of an Icon of Christ, but I'm unaware of the other specific differences.

Logos Teen

Hispanic Byzantine
Hispanic Byzantine
Neil my brother

Thank you very much for the absolution prayer, finally I'm going to be able to understand Fr. Antoinne Mouhanna when I confess to him (I was a bit ashamed about asking him the meaning of the prayer since he prays it in arabic).

In Spanish speaking countries when we go to confession, the Priest hays "Hail Mary, all pure" and we reply "conceived without sin" (Ave Mar�a pur�sima, sin pecado concebida" and the confess. I like learning these differences with my English speaking brethren, I thought we all RC started confession alike.

God bless

L
L
I went to the Divine Liturgy at the local Melkite temple yesterday. I went to Confession before Orthros began. The priest only used the the first prayer, but then again we were running a little late on the service schedules, so that could be the reason. This priest (Father Basil) was filling in for Father Azar, who was absent because of his sister's death (keep the soul of Julia Azar in your prayers).

Anyway, the Confession process was quite moving and beautiful.

Logos Teen

Originally posted by Bernardo:
...In Spanish speaking countries when we go to confession, the Priest hays "Hail Mary, all pure" and we reply "conceived without sin" (Ave Mar�a pur�sima, sin pecado concebida" and the confess. I like learning these differences with my English speaking brethren, I thought we all RC started confession alike.

God bless
Dear Bernardo,

Thank you for posting the Spanish language form of confession. I guess we Latins have some diversity in the sacraments within our own rite.

Peace,

Paul

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.