The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 292 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Friends,

Here is the (new?) website of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in Chicago. It has some great photos. Enjoy.

http://www.stnicholascathedralukrcath.org/UA/main.html

What an absolutely beautiful church! cool

I especially LOVE the design of the iconostasis.

I have seen similar open style iconostasis in some Greek Orthodox churches and think that they are truly an example of how innovation in traditional art/design can be even more beautiful than the original.

C
C
Nice site! Good photos, too.

Have all Ukrainian churches replaced the tetropod with a bandura? biggrin :p

Dave

OP Offline
Chtec,

At least a bandura tetropod isn't a latinization!

-uc

C
C
I dunno, instruments in church... that's pretty Latin. wink

So is it Ukrainian custom to venerate the bandura upon entering the church? And does the empty chair behind it signify anything? Is it the presence of Taras Shevchenko? biggrin

Dave

L
L
St Nicholas also had a crucifix in the vestibule last time I was there in the 90's. So does my local Ukrainian Rite parish.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UC,

Thanks for the link - not sure it's a completely new website, but it is much developed since I last saw it - for the better (the blessed bandura notwithstanding wink )

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally posted by Chtec:
Nice site! Good photos, too.

Have all Ukrainian churches replaced the tetropod with a bandura? biggrin :p

Dave
It's quite simple... I wasn't available when thr photos were taken, so it was decided to substitute a bandura. cool

On a serious note, it looks like things were set up for a concert (note tetrapod off to the left and all the extra microphones). Though I love the bandura the idea of using a church as a concert venue does not fill me with any joy. frown

Σώσον, Κύριε, καί διαφύλαξον η�άς από τών Βασιλιάνικων τάξεων!

A
AMM Offline
A
Originally posted by alice:
I have seen similar open style iconostasis in some Greek Orthodox churches and think that they are truly an example of how innovation in traditional art/design can be even more beautiful than the original.
I prefer the more open style myself as well.

When I visited St. Nicholas it seemed the congregation was much smaller than the building could serve. I hope that trend has been reversed. Once you get outside the village though you're in a not so great part of Chicago. SS. Volodymyr and Olha I think is actually a prettier building and the parish had a much different feel to me.

Also near St. Nicholas is Holy Trinity (OCA). It's probably one of my favorite church buildings anywhere.

L
L
Rilian

When I went to St Nicholas, the English liturgy was poorly attended, but the Ukrainian ones were packed.

SN is more beautiful than Saints Volodymyr and Olha on the outside, but the latter is more impressive inside. Holy Trinity is also quite beautiful, and the parishoners are as friendly as Evangelical Protestants, in fact a few I talked to were formerly of that religious persuasion.

L
single
single
L
WOW oh my gosh what a beautiful church !!!!!!!

Cardinal Mahoney ? Wanna take a peek at beauty ?

C
C
Originally posted by LatinByzEastNovice:
WOW oh my gosh what a beautiful church !!!!!!!

Cardinal Mahoney ? Wanna take a peek at beauty ?
Good evening LBEN.

Yes, the cathedral is magnificent.

As to your second sentence: (1) the name is spelled Mahony and (2) please don`t go down that road. That sentence is bordering on disrespect. Please remember that this is not an RC forum.

Please see Deacon John Montalvo`s post in Town Hall: A Friendly Reminder
https://www.byzcath.org/bboard/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002164

I wish you peace.

Charles

S
S
Yes, St. Nicholas is a magnificent place of worship. I haven't been there in 15 years or more, but it impressed me during my several visits. Unfortunately, at that time the number of faithful at the liturgies was quite low. I pray that is not the case today.

the website notes: [Bishop Seminack's] maternal grandparents came from Peremshil, Ukraine

Not to sound a nationalistic note, but Peremyshil/Przemysl has not for more than a millenium been a part of Ukraine. It is a borderland, inhabited by autochthonous Poles and East Slavs. There have been unfortunate national antagonisms in the city recently, and it is inappropriate to flame the fires.

Charles Bransom wrote: As to your second sentence: (1) the name is spelled Mahony and (2) please don`t go down that road. That sentence is bordering on disrespect. Please remember that this is not an RC forum.

I would like to direct this comment to the Administrator: on more than one occasion Mr Bransom has attempted to censor comparisons of American Catholicism and Greek Catholicism/Orthodoxy. It is inappropriate for Mr Bransom to continue telling members of this group what they cannot comment upon. Not to be uncharitable, but I think Mr Bransom has already tested our patience - let him issue directives on an American Catholic forum - perhaps there is an appropriate www.kumbayah.org? [kumbayah.org] His arrogance reminds one of the unfortunate 19th century conflicts with the Irish/German clergy that split the faithful in America.

Stojgniev

I
I
But is it a 3-bar bandura?

Incognitus

B
B
I think a number of us have commented on how utterly ugly the Mahony cathedral is. I realize modern architecture is an acquired taste, and have actually seen some such architecture that I thought was beautiful. That cathedral is not one of those beautiful buildings. It is so barren, sterile and ugly, it would delight the soul of an authentic Calvinist - although I don't think the original Calvinists were ever delighted by anything. wink The building could serve as a reference point for how not to build a church. However, the organ is a magnificent instrument, so I will give credit for that. If you haven't heard it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.