The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#397010 07/21/13 10:11 PM
3 Images
Lutheran "Iconostasis"

My congregation has been using the Group VBS kits for over a decade. For this year's "Kingdom Rock" Group recommended creating a series of archways to resemble a castle hall.

A Deacon suggested making a very wide archway in the center so as to allow easy access and view of the Sanctuary, and to position two of the side arches to allow a view of the Lectern and Pulpit.

And yours truly then decided to take it to the next level...
20 Comments
F
F
Classy, neighbor!

John
John
This is really great!!

OP Offline
Come have a look!

The Vacation Bible School program continues through Friday evening (staff arrives around 4:15 PM, departs around 9:00 PM) and the "Iconostastis" will remain in place for the Sunday Liturgy.

It will be dismantled on Tuesday evening July 30.

Really wonderful!

I'd suggest they perhaps one day try to work in Luther's Rose into it . . .

Alex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Bless, Pastor Thomas,

Very, very nicely done!

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Really wonderful!

I'd suggest they perhaps one day try to work in Luther's Rose into it . . .

Alex

Interesting thought.

Curiously, we do not have the Luther Rose emblem within the temple except at the center of the crosses worn by the choir.

On the other hand, we are in the process of replacing our highway signs, and the new 22 x 42 signs have a rounded top with the Luther Rose completely filling that upper section.

Dear Thomas,

I love the Luther Rose and wear a Luther Rose lapel pin frequently.

It's a beautiful emblem which, for me, symbolizes Evangelical Catholicism at its very best.

(I have the Lutheran Brotherhood Prayerbook which is top-notch, but have deleted the reference to the pope being the anti-Christ that is in the back . . . - I'm sure it was a typo of some sort . . .).

Alex

OP Offline
For the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the Luther Rose and its meaning:

Designed by Dr. Martin Luther, the Luther Coat of Arms has become the world-wide symbol of the Church of the Augsburg Confession, commonly known as the Lutheran Church.

This explanation is the gist of a letter written to his friend, Herr Spengler, town clerk of Nuremberg.

The Luther Rose:

* "The first thing expressed in my seal is a cross, black, within the heart, to put me in mind that faith in Christ crucified saves us. 'For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness.' Now, although the cross is black, mortified, and intended to cause pain, yet it does nor change the color of the heart,does not destroy nature (i.e., does not kill, but keeps alive). 'For the just shall live by faith,' by faith in the Savior.

* But this heart is fixed upon the center of a white rose, to show that faith causes joy, consolation and peace.

* The rose is white, not red, because white is the ideal color of all angels and blessed spirits.

* This rose, moreover, is fixed in a sky-colored background, to denote that such joy of faith in the spirit is but an earnest beginning of heavenly joy to come, as anticipated and held by hope, though not yet revealed.

* And around this groundbase is a golden ring, to signify that such bliss in heaven is endless, and more precious than all joys and treasures, since gold is the best and most precious metal. Christ, our dear Lord, He will give grace unto eternal life."

T
T

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 08/03/13 04:13 AM.

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 08/03/13 04:12 AM.
E
E

I must credit evangelical catholics for introducing me to ecumenism. Though I have never claimed the Augsburg traditions as my own, I came to regard those traditions with a greater respect on account of those who both practiced and exemplified intellectual and interpretive virtues I am still trying to learn.

There are also members of the Augsburg confessions who have recently embraced Orthodoxy, like Jaroslav Pelikan.

What a vibrant Christianity there!

Alex

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
There are also members of the Augsburg confessions who have recently embraced Orthodoxy, like Jaroslav Pelikan.

And, more recently, Jay Rochelle.

It was Martin Luther who, during a debate with RC theologians, corrected them when they referred to Orthodox Christians as "those schismatics."

He said that Eastern Christianity was half of the Church and, by his standards, was clearly the "better half."

And that is where that term was first coined!

Believe it or not . . .

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.