The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#185531 05/08/06 03:45 AM
Catholic Gyoza
OP Offline
Catholic Gyoza
I think I just found out what pyrohy are. How are they different from a pot sticker as you would get at a Chinese restaurant or gyoza that you would get from a Japanese restaurant?

By the way, my wife makes superb gyoza and I make the best dipping sauce! biggrin

#185532 05/08/06 04:42 AM
T
T
Originally posted by Dr. Eric:
I think I just found out what pyrohy are. How are they different ...
Pyrohy are a true gift from God, the pinnacle of all food pyramids! biggrin

All other food merely enables one to crawl through the day to the next meal. :p

Survival without satisfaction. frown

#185533 05/08/06 05:20 AM
P
P
Nothing could ever beat grandma's pyrohy. Of course, Mrs. Dr. Eric could say the same for her grandma's gyoza!

#185534 05/08/06 06:16 AM
I
I
I remember an unimpressive-looking Chinese restaurant whose menu began with "Chinese perogies" - they were heavenly, as was everything else on the menu. The chef was newly arrived from Malaysia. He's probably running a super-expensive Chinese eatery these days.

Incognitus

#185535 05/08/06 08:58 AM
H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
These foods have a common origin actually, although the pyrohy/pierogies are more doughy.

After the Mongols and Tatars overran the region of eastern Europe some of the foods they commonly ate were introduced into the Slavic countries.

So the extension of pyrohy across the map of Europe could be a good marker for the extent of the disruption and suffering caused by that horrible invasion.

Other foods came west in the same way, for instance kapusta (saurkraut) which is nothing but fermented cabbage (the Tatars would bury cabbage in holes and recover it the next time they rode through the area). This kind of food has been known to cause disruption with or without the Tatars present.

+T+
Michael

#185536 05/08/06 01:45 PM
N
N
I'm a pilmeni fan myself (the Russian pyrohi). Same thing, just the meat in the middle is solid, like a meatball, instead of more mushi hamburger. I'm also not a fan of anything in the pyrohi except for meat!

I learned how to make pilmeni in Siberia (obviously the Siberian type, meat only). My wife and I will make a batch once in a while. Great with sour cream.

I've actually never been to a church function that had meat pyrohi. What's the deal?

#185537 05/08/06 05:13 PM
I
I
So make some pelmeni for your next church function!

Incognitus

#185538 05/08/06 06:11 PM
W
W
The Chinese restaurant I frequent has a much larger food that I prefer. They call them baos. Very doughy buns with a central filling. Everything imaginable can be put inside. Chicken, pork, seafood, veggies, custard. (Not all at once.) Really delicious! http://practicalmadness.com/./images/bao.jpg

However, the pirohy at the last church function was a dumpling of its own class. Mmmmm. We like to eat it with applesauce. Is that weird?

#185539 05/08/06 06:50 PM
Catholic Gyoza
OP Offline
Catholic Gyoza
Originally posted by Pan Domanski:
Nothing could ever beat grandma's pyrohy. Of course, Mrs. Dr. Eric could say the same for her grandma's gyoza!
Amber's grandma doesn't make gyoza. Amber's grandma is a WASP not Japanese. biggrin

Pat I'll have to try your grandma's pyrohy!

Gyoza are filled with ground chicken while pot stickers are filled with ground pork. Except in Malaysia and some of the Muslim circles in China where they're filled with ground beef! cool

#185540 05/09/06 02:57 AM
E
E
XB!

Some assorted observations from a Chinese POV:

- There's a curious phenomenon to be observed amongst those Russians and Ukrainians whose families took refuge in China at some point after the Revolution: they often eat their pyrohy/pelmeni with soya sauce and/or black vinegar (which the Chinese do). This is of course, doubly amusing, if pyrohy are of Chinese/Mongol origin, as it then represents a second cross-fertilisation!

- There exist in China, Dumpling Restaurants, where nothing except dumplings are served. Of course, these are usually boiled in hot water (which the chinese then call Jiaozi) but also cooked in a pan with a little water which evaporates, letting the bottoms get slightly burned (Chinese call these Guotie, Japanese call them Gyoza). This may sound boring, but I was amazed when I saw the variety available! Basically anything that could be chopped up and put in a dumpling... pumpkin, egg, seafood... they even had dessert dumplings (not eaten with soy/vinegar of course).

- I believe our dear Incognitus has a recipe for dessert pyrohy... would he be so kind as to share it with us? biggrin

#185541 05/09/06 03:40 AM
D
djs Offline
D
... they often eat their pyrohy/pelmeni with soya sauce and/or black vinegar
Fantastic!

There exist in China, Dumpling Restaurants, where nothing except dumplings are served. Of course, these are usually boiled in hot water (which the chinese then call Jiaozi) but also cooked in a pan with a little water which evaporates, letting the bottoms get slightly burned (Chinese call these Guotie
Guotie is wor tip? I've seen pyrohy done both ways - just boiled (then covered with butter and onions) or finished by frying with butter and onions. Has to have the wok hay, I think.

Basically anything that could be chopped up and put in a dumpling... pumpkin, egg, seafood
Here\'s [pierogiesplus.com] a place in the old country that has a few varieties, and I think I've seen site for a place in Cleveland that was even more adventurous. No seafood, though. That will be a breakthrough.

... they even had dessert dumplings (not eaten with soy/vinegar of course).
How about strawberry pyrohy with a fine balsamico?

#185542 05/09/06 05:03 AM
I
I
That recipe for dessert varennyky is simple enough. First, make the varennyky with wild blueberries, sweetened to taste (but remember, the sauce is coming). Keeping them warm, in a double boiler combine SWEET butter, powdered sugar and Grand Marnier, again to taste. Reduce this appropriately and apply sauce to varennyky. Enjoy!

It's wonderful - the trick is to find the wild blueberries and someone adept at making varennyky with them. For that matter, it's possible to use cherries instead, but be sure you get the all the pits out!

Incognitus

#185543 05/09/06 10:11 AM
The Harbinzi (the real Shangrila) also deep fry their Pyrohys and put things like vermicelli etc in them...yum! China certainly influenced the food of those who lived there.

ICXC
NIKA

#185544 05/13/06 11:51 AM
F
F
Beware - the Vyg fathers listed piroshchenie as a sin to which monastics are apt to fall. Presumably this goes for 'boiled' as well as baked!!!

Fr Mark

#185545 05/15/06 06:30 PM
Catholic Gyoza
OP Offline
Catholic Gyoza
I'm confused now. In the thread about John's change of Rite. Some were writing that they put mashed potatoes in pyrohy. I thought that they were meat and vegetable filled dumplings. Are there recipes on line anywhere? confused

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alice, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.