The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bishop Titus), 551 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
For our wonderful Fr. Gregory. I thought of him as soon as I read this. An Eastern Saint at home in the Vatican...cool

St. Gregory Finds a Niche at a Vatican

Pope Blesses Statue of Apostle of Armenia

VATICAN CITY, JAN. 19, 2005 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II blessed a statue of St. Gregory the Illuminator which now stands in one of the exterior niches of St. Peter's Basilica.

It is the first time that a statue of an Eastern-rite saint -- in this case, the apostle of Armenia -- has been placed among the founding saints that surround the exterior of St. Peter's, according to the basilica's archpriest, Cardinal Francesco Marchisano.

The ceremony, which took place today as the Pope was on his way to Paul VI Hall for the general audience, was attended by Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX of Cilicia of the Armenians, whose see is in Lebanon.

Nerses Bedros XIX leads approximately 10% of the Armenian Christians who live in his homeland and in the diaspora, and who are in communion with Rome.

Some 90% of Armenian Christians obey the Armenian Apostolic Patriarchate, which separated from Rome after the Council of Chalcedon in 451.

A key step was taken in 1996 to overcome this division, when John Paul II and then Patriarch Karekin I signed a joint declaration that resolved misunderstandings on the nature of Jesus.

Attending the ceremony were representatives of the Armenian Apostolic Patriarchate and the Armenian republic.

The statue of Gregory the Illuminator -- also known as Gregory the Armenian -- was sculpted by artist Khatchik Kazandjian, of Lebanese origin. He won a competition convoked by the Vatican and the Catholic Armenian Patriarchate.

The statue, 5.64 meters (18 feet) high and weighing 18 tons, is in Carrara marble and cost 250,000 euros ($325,000).

With this gesture, the Pope wished to culminate the celebrations for the 1,700th anniversary of the Armenian people's conversion to the Christian faith.

According to Armenian tradition, Gregory, who was born around 250-252, miraculously cured Armenian King Tiridates III, who converted to Christianity in 301 together with all his court, making Armenia the first Christian nation.

The gesture of placing the statue at the basilica, said Cardinal Marchisano, "expresses marvelously" the "natural variety of the traditions and rites of the Church, which contribute to her spiritual enrichment."

This is very cool.

It reminds me of when I visited St. Peter's at the Vatican. By chance, some Greek women from Greece were standing infront of me in line to see the statue of St. Peter's. It is customary, if you are Catholic, to kiss the feet of the statue. These women, who were not Roman Catholic, didn't hesitate one second to kiss his feet. Ofcourse, I didn't either! wink

Catholic or Orthodox, basilica or metropolis, statue or icon, we all venerate many of the same saints!

During this week of prayer for Christian unity, I pray that such gestures will one day become the norm for all in the Apostolic Church, East and West.

In Christ,
Alice

Thanks, as always, Pani Rose for your interesting contributions!

Former
Former
Dear Pani Rose, Thanks for thinkin 'bout me in connection with a Saint...I'm thrilled. biggrin My parents named me after St. Gregory the Dialogist, Pope of Rome, March 12/25...although I have a great devotion also to St. Gregory V, Patriarch of Constantinople, who was martyred by the Turks in 1821 on Holy Pascha, who hanged him in his vestments from the main gate of the patriarchal residence as a public example.

In His name,
+Fr. Gregory

+Father Archimandrite Gregory, who asks for your holy prayers!

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.