The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Eala, Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn
6,001 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,781
Members6,001
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
God have mercy on us all! So, where do they separate this law when it comes to those of 'mixed' marriages and such?

Islamic law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases....

Politicians and church leaders expressed concerns that this could mark the beginnings of a “parallel legal system” based on sharia for some British Muslims....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422661,00.html

Last edited by Pani Rose; 09/16/08 02:18 PM. Reason: forgot the link
L
L

The UK keeps trying harder to commit suicide. Sharia isn't even the worst of it, this might be http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sex-children-young-say-researchers.html

They should see if they can scrounge up those Dunkirk boats and point them westward. It's as if they've decided not to offend anyone while watching everyone through closed circuit televisions.

I'm reminded of afternoons after school watching wildlife shows on public television as the predator snatched up its prey and saying, "Mommy... why didn't they stop the lion from eating the gazelle."

This whole sharia business has been in the works for a while. It is only used by people who WANT to use it. I think that it is bollocks but when there is such a large quantity of uncompromising people in Britain then it is the only answer really. I was under the impression that it is only for divorces and the such like.

God Save the Queen!

F
F
After reading the link Lawrence posted,I can understand why the Islamists would wage war with Western culture and I certainly am no great fan of Islam.I'm no great fan of the British,either,but that doesn't mean I'm for their extinction,either.I certainly wish they could produce another C.S.Lewis about now.Actually,I strongly recommend that EVERYONE who reads this,read Book 7 of Lewis's Narnia Chronicles,"The Last Battle".Lewis has been gone almost 50 years,but that book is amazingly prophetic.

F
F
C. S. Lewis is my favorite Irish Protestant spiritual writer, and it would be lovely if the Irish Protestants produced another such. Unlike the Irish, the "British" are not an ethnic community (ask anyone from Scotland or Wales), nor are they a religious community. The "British" identity is a pure political construct which, please God, is on the way out. People can and will continue to be English, Scots, Welsh, Manx, Irish, and even Cornish.

But back to C. S. Lewis - although he never managed to get himself into the Catholic Church, his books certainly have, and so has his literary executor. Funnily enough, while Catholics continue to read him, translate him, and lament his death at such a relatively young age, his popularity among Anglicans continues to decline.

Father Serge

hmmmmmmmmm, don't the Celts recognize the English as an ethnic group? I keep recalling the expression "sassenagh". just wondering.
Much Love,
Jonn

F
F
Sure the English are an ethnic group. The British are not!

Father Serge

the welsh word for english is saesneg , although the more popular term used is not appropriate for this forum haha

H
learner
learner
H
For the really prophetic read G K Chesterton "The Flying Inn", written about 100 years ago. To Chesterton Islam was the Turkish Empire, but apart from that it's pretty hair-raising.

Z
Z
The real problem her eis Politcal correctness. If Christaisn wanted ot revive Eccleseastical Courts so that matters coudl be settled amongst themselves under Christian Law, in the same way Sharia si bign implemente dint he UK, I doubt they'd have been given legal status. In fact, I'm pretty sure they'd have been investigated as possible terrorists, and considered a threat to society, whilst the Secularistss, BBC, and Government tried hard ot portray them as sepratists and extremists who jepardise freedom, Democracy, and all that is good and decent.

Muslism are permited their own socourts int he name of DIversity, though.

And of ocurse it spoliticlly correct t do this because it shows hwo diverse and accoodating we are... to Muslims...

The Gya sex bit is also Political correctness run mad, and, of ocurse, an attmeto to make mroe "Born gay" children, sicne we all know that those born gay still have to be taugh t that they are gay...

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Lord have mercy. I hope America is not next.

D
D
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
C. S. Lewis is my favorite Irish Protestant spiritual writer, and it would be lovely if the Irish Protestants produced another such.

I'm not sure they could. Wasn't Lewis in the wing of the Oxford Movement that didn't convert because they were expecting reunion?

Naming the high king "Peter" was rather telling . . .

Unlike the Irish, the "British" are not an ethnic community (ask anyone from Scotland or Wales), nor are they a religious community. The "British" identity is a pure political construct which, please God, is on the way out. People can and will continue to be English, Scots, Welsh, Manx, Irish, and even Cornish.

Awe, Father. How can you say such a thing about the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Occupied Ireland?

(I wish I could add a smiley to that)

As for teh topic at hand, Fox's captioning of articles seems to vary from yellow journalism to sensationalism, and often has nothing to do with the actual article.

What the original article actually says is that, pursuant to british arbitration law, the courts can accept matters submitted by all parties to arbitration. Jewish courts have been using this provision for over a hundred years.

There is nothing "official" about those courts, but it sure sells more papers so suggest there is.

hawk

Z
Z
Actually, "Occupired Ireland" wanted to remain part fo the United Kigndom, and modern Loyalists still periodically ad vocaly oppose anythign akin to unification wthh the Republic to the south.

That said, critisism of the UK as not ebign a single Ethnic group, and thus artificial, is a bit cruel. Its not like the United States are a unified ethnic heritage, yet no one woudl be happy to see it disolved.

D
D
Originally Posted by ZAROVE
Actually, "Occupired Ireland" wanted to remain part fo the United Kigndom,

Yeah, done with the mother of all gerrymanders.

The tentacles of the counties were drawn to insure the election results in those counties.

Even without that, letting the occupiers vote was also a bit odd . . . the old three lions and a lamb voting on lunch scenario

hawk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.