The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 405 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Not that long ago, in another forum, a post (link) mentioned detailed studies evaluating and re-thinking the liturgical reforms in the post Vatican II Latin Rite regarding the text of the liturgy:

I commented at the time:

Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Apotheoun
Dr. Lauren Pristas has written some very interesting articles that compare the older Roman Missal to the one issued by Pope Paul VI.

Thanks for the links. Based on some reading and skimming of her articles I must say that I am very impressed by her writing: methodology, objectivity, and fidelity to and sensitivity for what has been handed on.

I would add to those comments that she also appreciates the importance of style and the need to preserve the rhetorical structure of the text when possible (Her critique is about changes in the original to new Latin texts, not a translation, but the same principles apply.)

Fr. David also commented on this aspect in translating ["A Survey of the Liturgical Translations of the Byzantine Catholic Metropolia," David Petras, Logos:A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies, Volume 39, Nos. 2-4 (1998), p 249]:

... Further evaluations become subjective, depending on one's priorities: style, accuracy, or clarity of meaning. I do not like translations that sacrifice clarity for style, considering that the most important function of any liturgical translation is to provide meaning for the person praying the text.

And so, I offer for consideration an evaluation of the RDL translation of the hymn in tone 6 commonly sung at the Chrysostom Divine Liturgy. The text in black is the RDL; I’ve also included where appropriate the corresponding transliterated Greek, Slavonic, and an alternate English rendering (to illustrate the point); each is color coded on the same-sounding words heard, which show a common form and meaning, thus highlighting their collective impact on the hearer.

It is truly proper to glorify you,

O Theotokos
[Theotokon Bohorodicu Birthgiver-of-God],

the ever-blessed, immaculate and the

Mother of our God.

More honorable than the cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim; who, a virgin,

gave birth
[tekousan roždšuju gave birth]

to God the Word; you, truly the

Theotokos
[Theotokon Bohorodicu Birthgiver-of-God],

we magnify

[bold text attribute added and explained below]

Of course, Theotokos is accurate in so far as any transliteration of a word from the original is accurate. But is this also what is the best as a translation on the basis on style, clarity and fidelity to the linguistic tradition?

Also, that Theotokos is dogmatically and doctrinally correct and accurate is above reproach. But as pointed out on the forum in previous posts, if that is the standard for translation, then why do we translate and not transliterate the grand-daddy of such important, ancient and venerable terms, homoousios (in the Creed). Furthermore, those whom we look to as the transmitters of our liturgy, our tradition, those who have handed it on to us - must I say it, the Ruthenian Recension and not the Greek text - translated: they used and gave us Bohorodicu and not Theotokos transliterated into Slavonic.

To me there is a clear and reprehensible loss of clarity and style in the choice made here for the RDL translation. Mother (of God) and gave birth is a self evident connection [bold text above]. In the color coded forms, Greek, Slavonic, and the red English, a further connection is established by the style (through repetition) utilizing the inherent and basic meaning and verbal impact of the words. This produces, with overwhelming linguistic force, the thrust and theme of this hymn (following the red English rendering):

Birthgiver (of God) - Mother (of God) - gave birth - Birthgiver (of God)
[The same relation obtains in the Greek and Slavonic.]

This is language and style presenting a clear and powerful reinforced image.

The RDL has the disjointed and stylistically diluted

Theotokos

Mother (of God) - gave birth

Theotokos.

The inherent connectedness of the text is lost. I think this RDL version is a poor translation that does not do justice to what is possible in an English translation, especially considering, as quoted above, “that the most important function of any liturgical translation is to provide meaning for the person praying the text.”

Fr. Deacon,

Sorry I am not convinced, especially when the Melkites and the three major Orthodox jurisdictions use a similar translation.

RDL text:
It is truly proper to glorify you, O Theotokos, the ever-blessed, immaculate and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim; who, a virgin, gave birth to God the Word; you, truly the Theotokos we magnify.

Melkite text:
It is truly meet to bless you O Theotokos who are ever blessed and all blameless and the Mother of our God. More honored than the Cherubim and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim you who without stain did bear God the Word, you are truly Theotokos we magnify you.

Greek Archdiocese text:
It is truly right to bless you, Theotokos, ever blessed, most pure, and mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, without corruption you gave birth to God the Word. We magnify you, the true Theotokos.

OCA text:
Meet it is in truth to bless thee, O Theotokos, who art ever blessed and all-blameless, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim and more glorious without compare than the Seraphim, who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, verily Theotokos, we magnify thee.

Antiochian Archdiocese text:
It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos, who art ever blessed and all-blamelesss, and the mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, thou who without stain barest God the Word, and art truly Theotokos: we magnify thee.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
As it stands, examples of other translations do not per se make any direct comment on the validity of my analysis. An actual comment on that would be welcome.

I don't know the strength and influence of Greek in the liturgical patrimony of the Melkites and the Antiochians. But for the GOA, Theotokos is, I would think as a Greek/English community, within the realm of comprehension that I argued for in my post. The Greeks are in a unique position in preserving a cherished ancient/canonical form of a language that also has a modern counterpart. Slavonic for Slavic language speakers can present a similar conundrum.

And obviously, I would conclude that the OCA should reconsider.

Also, the point of my mentioning the work of Pristas was to indicate that a church can rush to judgment on texts without a thorough appreciation of the ramifications. It would be gratifying to find that the considerations I presented were indeed considered and are in the records of the IELC for its 12 years of deliberations to produce the RDL. And if considered, or even if not, why my appraisal is faulty on the merits of its facts, interpretation and conclusions.

Fr. Deacon,

I belive your analysis is flawed and your conclusion incorrect.

In this case the hymn is balanced with the title Theotokos at the beginning and end of the hymn. The hymn references both her motherhood and her giving birth and bookends these with the title Ephesus applied to her. In my opinion using Theotokos does not lose clarity or style anymore than using Christ in our prayers does and it seems the three largest Orthodox jurisdictions share my opinion. Since we have not used this title it will take getting used to and require catechesis.

You seem to rest part of your arguement on the fact that the Slav fathers, translated the title Theotokos, unlike the title Christ which they adapted to Slavonic. Perhaps you feel the ACROD text should have been adopted:

You are truly deserving of glory, O Birth-giver of God, the ever-blessed and most pure Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim and beyond comparison more glorious than the Seraphim, who as a Virgin gave birth to the Word of God, true Birth-giver of God, we magnify you.

Fr. Deacon Lance

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Fr. Deacon (et al.),

Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
I belive your analysis is flawed and your conclusion incorrect.

In this case the hymn is balanced with the title Theotokos at the beginning and end of the hymn. The hymn references both her motherhood and her giving birth and bookends these with the title Ephesus applied to her.

That the RDL translation "references both her motherhood and her giving birth" I also noted. Birthgiver-of-God also functions as bookends, with the added advantage of immediate comprehension and association with giving birth. Use of the title of Ephesus has its place, I just don't think it serves best here.

In my opinion using Theotokos does not lose clarity or style anymore than using Christ in our prayers does...

Then I think you've missed my point -- the point -- which is context and the interplay of words to form an integral composition. The use of Christ, for instance, in prayers has no bearing without knowing how it is used with the other words of the piece in the source language. And as noted, it comes to us as Christ and not "the Anointed."

... and it seems the three largest Orthodox jurisdictions share my opinion. Since we have not used this title it will take getting used to and require catechesis.
This is so.

You seem to rest part of your arguement on the fact that the Slav fathers, translated the title Theotokos, unlike the title Christ which they adapted to Slavonic.
Yes, I think this is an important point.

Perhaps you feel the ACROD text should have been adopted:

You are truly deserving of glory, O Birth-giver of God, the ever-blessed and most pure Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim and beyond comparison more glorious than the Seraphim, who as a Virgin gave birth to the Word of God, true Birth-giver of God, we magnify you.

No, on the basis of a new translation correcting what is required and striving for a gradual transition from the familiar text. (Although I accept that Mother of God is an acceptable translation for Theotokos/Bohorodicu I also like to have different words or word-phrases for different concepts, even though they may have the same basic meaning.)

With reference to the words and issues that were the focus of my analysis, however, I'd give this an A+. Since you mention this translation, how do you appraise it?

Fr. Deacon,

It is acceptable, if a bit strange to the ears. It is at least an accurate literal translation.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Can somebody explain why the term "Theotokos" was NOT retained when the Byzantine Liturgy was translated into the Slavonic language? And why the term "Theotokion" became Bohorodicen?

Ray

I remember:

"It is truly proper to glorify you, who have borne God, the ever blessed immaculate and the mother of our God, more honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, who a virgin gave birth to God the word, you truly the mother of God, we magnify."

That's what I grew up with.

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 70x7
Can somebody explain why the term "Theotokos" was NOT retained when the Byzantine Liturgy was translated into the Slavonic language?

Yes. It was done by good translators. wink

John
John
Originally Posted by ajk
Fr. David also commented on this aspect in translating ["A Survey of the Liturgical Translations of the Byzantine Catholic Metropolia," David Petras, Logos:A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies, Volume 39, Nos. 2-4 (1998), p 249]:
... Further evaluations become subjective, depending on one's priorities: style, accuracy, or clarity of meaning. I do not like translations that sacrifice clarity for style, considering that the most important function of any liturgical translation is to provide meaning for the person praying the text.
I agree with Father David Petras that translations should not sacrifice clarity for style.

I possibly disagree with him that the most important function of any liturgical translation is to provide meaning for the person praying the text. I would need to ask him to clarify this further. The most important function of any liturgical translation is to translate accurately – as literally as is possible and as elegant as is possible. The further qualification I would add in updating texts is to respect what is memorized and which is not wrong. His words could hint of ‘dumbing down’ the translation to provide meaning. That usually means also ‘dumbing down’ the theology. It is much better to translate accurately and gently lift up the people to understand. We can see an example of this in the use of the term “consubstantial” in the updated English translation of the Creed in the Latin Church. A number of bishops felt that “consubstantial” was a much too difficult word for Joe & Mary Catholic to understand. But in the end Rome didn’t consider Joe & Mary Catholic to be so dumb that they could not understand. This is a step forward.

I will note that in the RDL the use of gender neutral language most certainly sacrifices clarity for style (i.e., politically correct speech).

Originally Posted by ajk
Of course, Theotokos is accurate in so far as any transliteration of a word from the original is accurate. But is this also what is the best as a translation on the basis on style, clarity and fidelity to the linguistic tradition?

Also, that Theotokos is dogmatically and doctrinally correct and accurate is above reproach. But as pointed out on the forum in previous posts, if that is the standard for translation, then why do we translate and not transliterate the grand-daddy of such important, ancient and venerable terms, homoousios (in the Creed). Furthermore, those whom we look to as the transmitters of our liturgy, our tradition, those who have handed it on to us - must I say it, the Ruthenian Recension and not the Greek text - translated: they used and gave us Bohorodicu and not Theotokos transliterated into Slavonic.

To me there is a clear and reprehensible loss of clarity and style in the choice made here for the RDL translation. Mother (of God) and gave birth is a self evident connection.
I agree with Father Deacon Tony. There is nothing wrong with using Theotokos or even Bohorodice. Either would be dogmatically and doctrinally correct.

But what was so inaccurate about the term Mother of God as a translation for Bohorodice (Theotokos) that long-standing texts that were memorized needed to be changed and people forced to relearn something that they knew by heart?

True, Mother of God is not the most accurate translation but we can look at the Lord’s Prayer (and elsewhere) and see where less then perfect translations were kept because they were memorized. What reasoning was used to decide that Mother of God could not be allowed to be used? This question has been asked numerous times and there has been no answer (though really the bishops should explain this and not leave Father David to be their only spokesman). It almost seem that there is a desire to be what some think is “Eastern” in terminology but not necessarily Eastern in the way one internalizes the Faith.

And what does the Church give up by not using the term “Mother of God” as a translation for Bohorodice (Theotokos)? The term Mother of God has a very long use in the English language. Almost anyone who speaks English – Christians and non-Christians – knows at least that the Mother of God is Mary, the Mother of Jesus. Why give up such an advantage by abandoning a term that is so well known?

“It is truly proper” was one of the hymns that was so well known that if you hit the first three notes the whole Church would join in and raise the roof. That is mostly gone now. What a loss.

On Saturday I went into the post office to purchase Christmas stamps. Last year the postal worker was a turban-wearing Sikh who actually offered me the ones with "the Mother of God with Child". This year the postal worker did not list them but when I asked for "Mother of God with Child" he knew exactly what I wanted. Would he have known if I had said "Theotokos with Child"?

L
lm Offline
L
True, Mother of God is not the most accurate translation...

It may not be accurate, but it is a logical translation. One who is a "God-birther" must be the Mother of God.

There is, therefore, another principle which should be attended to in any change. As Cardinal Newman writes,

And so in the case of all other forms, even the least binding in themselves, it continually happens that a speculative improvement is a practical folly, and the wise are taken in their own craftiness.

See his sermon for the Feast of the Circumcision entitled, "Ceremonies of the Church."

I find it remarkable that, while many here oppose the RDL on the grounds it further distances ourselves from our fellow Greek Catholics and Orthodox, in an instance where the RDL makes a change in accord with what our fellow Greek Catholics and Orthodox observe that change is opposed as well.

J
J
There is no consensus among our fellow Greek Catholics and the Orthodox about whether to translate the term "Theotokos" and if to translate it how to translate it. ROCOR in England and others use "Mother of God." Johnstown uses mostly "Birthgiver of God" but you can also find "Mother of God" and "Theotokos". The Greek Orthodox do not yet have an official translation.

For years Father David Petras always preferred “Godbearer”. I'd have to check but I think he changed his mind at the Stamford Conference when Bishop Kallistos said that “Godbearer” was not accurate enough. I think that was also when Bishop Kallistos said that he prefers “Theotokos” but recommended “Mother of God” as the only option for those who wished to translate it.

Amazing how some can be such fanatics about using what they think is required Orthodox terminology while being even more fanatical about prohibiting a fully Orthodox Liturgy! Window dressing. Appearance before substance. Excuse me, appearance before essence.

U
U
Let us ask the questions:

After 1 1/2 years of the official promulgation of the RDL, how many churches have increased membership? How many have declined?

Food for thought.

Ung (resident Chicken Little)

There is no consensus among our fellow Greek Catholics and the Orthodox about a lot of things in the Liturgy, like the antiphons, what litanies can be suppressed, etc. yet that has not prevented criticism of the RDL on these points.

But lets leave the other complaints against the RDL aside. We are talking about use of Theotokos. Hapgood and ACROD use Birthgiver. The Melkites use Theotokos, the Antiochians use Theotokos, the OCA uses Theotokos and while not having one official text the GOA has several approved texts the most commonly used being the Holy Cross Press edition which uses Theotokos. The majority of Orthodox using English use Theotokos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.