The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
With so much nostalgia going on here, I think we need to have the Smithsonian Institute consult the members of this forum for future exhibits. biggrin

Originally Posted by Alice
Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
I have a golden gate bridge for sale if he wants it.

A friend of mine in high school had an 8-track player in his car in 1999.

HAHAHA!! I received a brand new (but stripped down) Toyota Corolla for a high school graduation gift from my family, and a boyfriend of mine at the time installed an 8 track recorder in it for me, which ofcourse my friends and I thought was 'way cool', or whatever the popular word we used at the time would have been. wink

Alice,

My first car was a 1975 Toyota Corolla D-E-L-U-X-E! When I would take sharp turns, the A/C would spray ice cold water on your face (or on the face of my hapless passengers...)

I miss that car. It was gray with a black interior. I had one of my buddies help me install a tape cassette sound system.

Memories!

Fr. Deacon Daniel

Fr. Deacon Daniel,

"ice cold water" ...you must have been driving too hotly.

B
B
I had a series of Pontiac Trans Ams during my younger days. I do remember the first one having 8 track, then the next had cassette. I am much more economy minded these days, so no more sports cars. I put a CD in the player for my current car when I bought it to see if the player worked. I have never used it again. Unfortunately, the Pontiacs are going the way of the flesh, which is sad. They were great cars, and some of the sound systems weren't bad, either.

Fr. Deacon Daniel,

"ice cold water" ...you must have been driving too hotly.

Hey, they didn't call it a DELUXE for nothing!

0-60 in 10.7 seconds! LOL...

I couldn't resist...my tribute to 8-tracks...Enjoy!

A
A
Let's see... I've owned 45's, 78's, and 33's, including some 12" 45s. I've owned 8 tracks. I've owned many standard audio cassettes and microcassettes.

I've worked with DAT (Digital Audio Tape), Reel to reel audio tape in 1/4" and 3/8", Reel to reel 3/4" and 1" videotape, plus beta (1/2"), μ-matic (3/4") and VHS (5/8") video cassette.

I've used RCA Selectivision videodisks, which are 12" vinyl with NTSC encoded, in a protective case system. I've also used 12" laser disk. My parents have working players for both, and all the disks.

I now use CD and MP3, as well as the now going out of date DVD... the Blue-Ray is poised to displace DVD, like VHS did the μ-matic.

I've got a phone with more computing power than my first desktop computer... not counting my dad's mechanical computers from his ca 1960 computing class at Michigan Tech.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Etnick
I'm almost positive that it was Chrysler that offered record players in cars for a year or two. An old timer I knew had one, he said the slightest bump made it skip.

Etnick,

I believe you're correct regarding Chrysler - as to the skips, no question. Although the arm was weighted so as to reduce those somewhat, they happened.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
B
B
I would think the record players in cars were not really intended for use while driving. I'm inclined to believe they would work better while "parking", as I believe they used to call it (before my time). Quick trip out to Lover's point, some romantic music on the record player...

I was wondering about that.

C
C
Originally Posted by ebed melech
Reel to reel?

Reel to Reel Recording [en.wikipedia.org]

I recall my grandfather mentioning something about recording on a wire...anyone know anything about that?

Seems to me many years ago I was watching a black and white WW2 flick and saw a scene in which a wire recorder was being used. Anyhow, here are some web links to check out the device.

http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/wire.html

http://www.videointerchange.com/wire_recorder1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_recording

In Christ:
Einar

Last edited by Converted Viking; 07/02/09 02:15 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by ebed melech
Reel to reel?

Reel to Reel Recording [en.wikipedia.org]

I recall my grandfather mentioning something about recording on a wire...anyone know anything about that?

I actually have one!

Someday I'll fix it.

I doubt it would do anything more than voice, but it works the same way as tape, just recording it on wire.

The "cassette" weighs something like five pounds.

hawl

D
D

Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
With so much nostalgia going on here, I think we need to have the Smithsonian Institute consult the members of this forum for future exhibits. biggrin

Hey! stay out of my garage!

smile
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
And there is a huge difference between reel to reel recorders and a cassette tape recorder smile

Somewhere in my collection is a reel-to-reel about the size of a typical cassette machine, which used 2" or so reels.

A friend of mine in high school had an 8-track player in his car in 1999.

I have one today . . . and to tapes to go with it smile

Originally Posted by Administrator
We'll accept that! Now, do you know what a "78" or a "16" is? It had something to do with circular disks made of vinyl....

Yes, they're those things I'll inherit from my father someday--but they're made of bakelite or some such, not vinyl, like 33s and 45s . . .

grr. I just went out to take pictures of the wire recorder, and the camera won't recognize the card in it!

hawk

O
O
haha

grr. I just went out to take pictures of the wire recorder, and the camera won't recognize the card in it!

hawk

Modern technology let you down did it ?

And they call it progress biggrin

Maybe the camera is on strike.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.