The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MSC2024SN1, Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala
6,005 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,803
Members6,005
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
S
S
She actually saw a need (the inventor was a woman.) Give credit to whom credit is due.

Very well, "she". But, not being into the fad of inclusive language, and not knowing it was a woman, I used "he" rather than the grammatically incorrect "they" or the awkward and affected "one".

John
John
Good discussion. Please keep away from the references to "Our Lady of Latinization" and etc., as they detract from what is being said.

I think the way forward here, to get the Byzantine Catholic Churches to properly restore the prosphora tradition is to show our priests how beautiful it is, the theology behind it, and that it is worth the time involved.

Stuart:

Now I'm confused. confused I thought that the stamp was pushed into the dough and the dough allowed to rise around the seal before baking. confused

BOB

S
S
I've seen it done both ways.

There is an interesting site called Prosphora.org [prosphora.org] which has two videos showing different ways of making prosphora. The second (right-hand) video is interesting, because it shows the preparation of small prosphora in two pieces. Having mixed and kneeded the dough, the baker rolls it out into a sheet about half an inch thick, then cuts out circles of dough about 2-3 inches in diameter with a cookie cutter. He presses the stamp into half of these circles, then, wetting the underside of the stamped ones, he presses them on top of the unstamped circles. The result is a lump of dough with a Lamb impressed on top. Placed in the oven, they rise up into perfectly lovely little prosphorae.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
The 65 Liturgicon states:

"... The other two particles: NI and KA break into as many small particles as you foresee will be be necessary for those who will receive."(page 40)

"It is to be noted that if htere are any who wish to partake of the holy mysteries, the priest breaks the two particles, NI and KA, into smaller particles and the deacon (with a sponge) puts these and the other particles together with the consecrated lamb into the holy chalice."(page 43)

The Ordo on Page 55 uses the same illustration as the 65 Liturgicon which simply notes: Give Communion to the people with these two particles.
This is an important post to consider. While it falls under the thread's subject, it could be a thread topic itself, and I have seen it discussed elsewhere in some detail.

According to this rubric from the Ruthenian Recension, the commemorative particles are added along with the broken particles of the lamb from the pieces designated for communing the people [The two rubrics for breaking these pieces are given at two different times, one right before the IC particle is put in the cup, the other before the deacon puts all the particles in the cup.], and along with the other particles from the lamb. This is done prior to the communion of the people. Are the commemorative particles consecrated? Are they to be distinguishable from the particles from the lamb and if so, how? Are they, or not, to be given as communion to the people?

L
L
Originally Posted by StuartK
As someone would undoubtedly say, "Were they having seals forged into bottom of pan in 19th century Russia? No, they were not! Is outrage!"
Stuart-

I wondered when Father Vasiliy would speak up. wink

Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
She actually saw a need (the inventor was a woman.) Give credit to whom credit is due. grin

And, note, she and her happy priest are Orthodox, not Byzantine Catholic.

L
L
Originally Posted by DTBrown
Lambs can be quite large. The Lamb that's in the dedication liturgy video of the Church Camp on the new ACROD website is HUGE. With a very large Lamb I would think one could serve 150 to 200 people easily, perhaps more.

I participate in two quite small Russian parishes, one Byzantine Catholic, one Orthodox. This is an interesting discussion for me since I'd never considered the preparation required for much larger groups of the faithful. Do con-celebrating priests all share in this preparation? A thought which came to mind immediately then for me was no wonder con-celebrating has remained such a part of the Divine Liturgy. smile

(There were 6 priests con-celebrating with our Latin bishop last Friday noon in the Roman rite Mass. Was I ever thrilled?! Such a treat.)

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
I think the way forward here, to get the Byzantine Catholic Churches to properly restore the prosphora tradition is to show our priests how beautiful it is, the theology behind it, and that it is worth the time involved.

Agreed. I think one way is to point out that Communion is a rite of unity where all are brought together in one body of Christ.

"Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf." (1 Corinthians 10:17)

The Byzantine liturgy preserves this rich symbolism by having the faithful receive Communion from one consecrated Lamb.

S
S
Agreed. I think one way is to point out that Communion is a rite of unity where all are brought together in one body of Christ.

Alas, there are still too many, both clergy and laity, who believe that the Eucharist is a personal channel of individual grace, and not an ecclesial action that manifests the unity and true nature of the Church as the Body of Christ. Considerable catechesis (and in some cases, reeducation) will be needed to restore the Eucharistic consciousness of the people before an appreciation for the integrity of the Proskomide becomes common.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
I found this video from a GOA parish online which shows the Proskimedia service:

Proskomedia Video [video.google.com]

I have never witnessed the Proskomedia from the Ruthenian rescension and I don't know if it's much different. Perhaps someday our Church could prepare a video of it for catechesis?

S
S
Interesting. Is it Greek usage for the priest not to wear the Phelonion during the Proskomide?

Also interesting is the use of a seal that includes not only the Lamb, but also specified sections for the various commemorations.

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Interesting. Is it Greek usage for the priest not to wear the Phelonion during the Proskomide?

I have seen this before with priests of other "ethnic backgrounds". I have always assumed since proskomide is performed "early" it is for convenience sake.

C
C
Greek rubrics have the priest vested in all his vestments, phelonion included, for the Proskomedia. In actual Greek practice (at least here in the US), the priest often delays vesting in the phelonion until the conclusion of Proskomedia.

Dave

ajk Offline
By the (Ruthenian) book, the priest is to be fully vested for the proskomedia. So where, how, who determines when it’s ok to “cut” corners. I have been wanting to comment as something of a devil's advocate in this discussion. It's not that I disagree with the restoration of the proskomedia and fraction elements of the liturgy but rather to further consider such valid comments as, for example:

Originally Posted by DTBrown
Originally Posted by Administrator

"Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf." (1 Corinthians 10:17)

The Byzantine liturgy preserves this rich symbolism by having the faithful receive Communion from one consecrated Lamb.

Considering such comments, I want to pinpoint the theology mentioned more precisely, and how that theology is properly embodied in the ritual. In my way of thinking, I'm coming at this from a number of angles, there are a number of considerations, and so the analysis can be involved. So it is with some trepidation that I proceed here only in part, aware of the adage that fools rush in ...

For instance, there’s a criticism of pre-cuts, but shouldn’t any “cuts” be considered a departure from the norm? The rubric in the liturgicon is to break the particle of the lamb, and adhering to what is considered an essential element of the prototype of the Divine Liturgy, Jesus took bread and broke it, He didn’t cut it.

Or is it ok if some particles are cut (not necessarily pre-cut) as long as there is a fraction rite, a breaking of the whole lamb into the four parts?

The liturgicon indicates that all communicate from the lamb. As correctly pointed out above in the quoted post, however, the basic theology of scripture, the primary written account of our theology, points to one bread, one loaf. Even though the lamb has liturgical significance, is not the primitive symbolism followed whenever all the bread for communion comes from a single loaf? This can be done -- one loaf, though not from the lamb -- with pre-cuts.

Further, we come together in the Eucharist as one body, the Church. While the parish liturgy is certainly a manifestation of being church, the classic ecclesiology is the gathering with the bishop. Ideally the one bread is offered by the bishop. We are members of the parish of xxx but belong to the church of Passaic, Parma, etc., those churches united to form the one body. Consider the practice and symbolism of the fermentum; see for example link [books.google.com]. Yet this practice and its symbolism has been abandoned if for no other than practical reasons.

The proskomedia service in its present location is already an accommodation; it is the preparation of the bread (and wine) of the eucharist and is displaced from the eucharistic portion of the liturgy, the taking of the bread, the Great Entrance. This accommodation is witnessed in the hierarchical liturgy, where the proskomedia is done only in part and is completed by the bishop just prior to the Great Entrance.

Also, pre-cuts, though they appear at the time of the prokomedia, do not influence how that rite is done (except for influencing the size of the lamb). Rather, they should be considered in relation to the fraction rite that takes place after the Anaphora and before Communion.

How then does one properly determine when an accommodation is too far outside the norm?

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
For instance, there’s a criticism of pre-cuts, but shouldn’t any “cuts” be considered a departure from the norm? The rubric in the liturgicon is to break the particle of the lamb, and adhering to what is considered an essential element of the prototype of the Divine Liturgy, Jesus took bread and broke it, He didn’t cut it.

I'm not sure if I understand the argument. I don't think you mean to criticize the Byzantine tradition by your comments. I believe the development of the eucharistic rite in the Byzantine tradition is a valid expression of the living tradition of the Church.

Or is it ok if some particles are cut (not necessarily pre-cut) as long as there is a fraction rite, a breaking of the whole lamb into the four parts?

There is a difference between what "is okay" and what is our tradition. I have never said that using pre-cuts pieces makes the Liturgy bad or invalid. I would here agree, however, with Fr. David Petras who writes on his website [davidpetras.com]:

I would reaffirm the principle of fidelity to our Eastern heritage. Since the Eastern Church is mostly Orthodox, that would include a fidelity also to Orthodox principles of Liturgy...Indeed, in my priesthood, I have striven to make [the 1941 Ruthenian Sluzhebnik] my ultimate model, and to eliminate all latinizations from Ruthenian practice. I have not always been successful, and the most serious latinization in my opinion is the use of pre-cut particles rather than the comminution of the ahnec (lamb) for Holy Communion. (Emphasis added)

Why perpetuate this latinization? Why not just follow our tradition?

The liturgicon indicates that all communicate from the lamb. As correctly pointed out above in the quoted post, however, the basic theology of scripture, the primary written account of our theology, points to one bread, one loaf. Even though the lamb has liturgical significance, is not the primitive symbolism followed whenever all the bread for communion comes from a single loaf? This can be done -- one loaf, though not from the lamb -- with pre-cuts.

That assumes that the pre-cuts were taken from the same loaf. When pre-cuts come from plastic tupperware containers, one never knows their history.

Again, the question: why not simply follow our tradition?

How then does one properly determine when an accommodation is too far outside the norm?

I'd be interested in the perspective of other posters on this question. One thing that I've wondered is this:

Say one day (hopefully sooner than later), we find a way to resolve our differences between Byzantine Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. (You can say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one!) Will perpetuating the use of pre-cut pieces instead of following our prosphora traditions be something that would enhance our then unity of faith and worship with our Orthodox brothers and sisters? Or, would it cause some problems with concelebrating priests from the different jurisdictions?

Last edited by DTBrown; 08/27/09 05:06 AM.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.