The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 245 guests, and 88 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
OP Offline
D
I am looking to see if my understanding of the differences between East and West is accurate on this subject.

I have heard it said that the understanding of the sacrament of Holy Orders between East and West is vastly different.

The East's ecclesiology is that those who are ordained partiticipate in the charism of the ministry of the Church, while the West's ecclesiology is that the ordained possess the sacrament.

This leads to two different udnerstandings.

1)Eastern ecclesiology undertands the ordination only within the Church, so that a Bishop, Priest, or Deacon who separates themselves from the unity of the Church no longer retains that ministerial charism. That ordiantion is tied to the Church. Western ecclesiology understands ordination as an indellible mark that cannot be broken, even when unity with the Chruch is broken. It understands that their state becomes valid but illicit.

2) Eastern ecclesiology recognizes that the lower ranks of the clergy are not lesser degrees of the sacrament (as the West recognizes degrees of fullness within the sacrament of order). Because of this, the priest becomes the delegate of the eucharist, and the deacon becomes the delegate of service, both of which operate in the name of the Bishop, rather than acting on their own en persona Christi.

Am I characterizing these differences correctly?

danman916:

Christ is in our midst!! He is and always will be!!

The differences are according to an Augustinian understanding (St. Augustine in the West) and the Cyrillian (St. Cyril of Alexandria in the East).

If you do a search, Neil (Irish Melkite) has a very thorough explanation that is in the archives.

Bob

F
F
Originally Posted by theophan
danman916:

Christ is in our midst!! He is and always will be!!

The differences are according to an Augustinian understanding (St. Augustine in the West) and the Cyrillian (St. Cyril of Alexandria in the East).

If you do a search, Neil (Irish Melkite) has a very thorough explanation that is in the archives.

Bob
Dear Bob,

I've usually heard these views characterized as Augustinian (from Blessed Augustine of Hippo, as you said) and Cyprianic (from Saint Cyprian of Carthage). Although both are Western Fathers, it is typical to ascribe St Cyprian's ecclesiology vis a vis heresy and schism and their effect upon Holy Orders to the Orthodox Church.

Fr David Straut

Fr. Straut,

Are you saying St.Cyprian of Carthage is an Orthodox saint? I ask because at the Roman website, http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/ , St. Cyprian of Carthage is a saint in the west.

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Manuel,

St Cyprian of Carthage, like all of those declared Saints prior to the Schism, is venerated in both East and West.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut
I've usually heard these views characterized as Augustinian (from Blessed Augustine of Hippo, as you said) and Cyprianic (from Saint Cyprian of Carthage).

Bless, Father David,

A typo on Bob's part.

Originally Posted by theophan

Bob,

I'm going to post a slightly updated version here because, frankly, I had trouble finding it myself.

Danman,

The following addresses your first point - which seems to me to represent an accurate understanding on your part. As to the second, I'll leave discussion of that to others.

The theological praxis of Catholics and Orthodox as to the validity of orders and the dependent issue of the validity of sacraments differs significantly. ...

Historically, there are basically two theories of apostolic succession and, in most instances, the application of the theory held by a given Church effectively determined the validity accorded to claimed presbyteral and episcopal orders and, ipso facto, the validity of sacraments administered by those claiming to possess valid orders, whether presbyteral and/or episcopal (putting aside issues as to form and intent, since if there is no validity to the orders of the sacrament's minister, other considerations are of no consequence to either Church).

If the orders claimed to be possessed are themselves invalid, the sacraments derived from him who claims to possess orders will, in turn, be invalid if the sacrament is one which requires conferral by an ordained minister - essentially any except Baptism in extremis in both the Catholic and Orthodox Churches and Marriage in the Latin Church, where the priest is seen as witnessing rather than conferring the sacrament.

The Augustinian theory effectively holds that valid episcopal ordination confers an indelible character that is not affected by any schismatic or heretical act or excommunication taken in response thereto or for any other reason. Accordingly, a validly ordained priest, once validly ordained to the episcopate, retains his capacity to exercise that order, though he may have been deprived juridically of the office or jurisdiction by which he performed episcopal acts. The latter considerations affect only the licitness of his acts.

The Cyprianic theory effectively holds that a valid episcopal ordination is affected by schismatic or heretical acts and by excommunication taken in response thereto or for any other reason. Accordingly, a validly ordained priest once validly ordained to the episcopate retains his capacity to exercise that order only so long as he continues in communion with the jurisdiction under the authority of which he was ordained to the episcopate (or such other jurisdiction into which he may have subsequently been accepted) and is exercising the office or jurisdiction by which he has the right to perform those acts. There is no distinction made as to licitness.

The Catholic Church has historically adhered to the Augustinian theory; the Orthodox Churches to the Cyprianic theory, (although they have exercised oekonomia in application of it to instances in which schismatic bodies have returned to communion).

Frankly, the Augustinian theory has been or certainly has become a thorn in the side of the Catholic Church. It effectively assures that all manner of independent hierarchs, both those who pursue their perceived vocation with spiritual and intellectual honesty and those who are episcopi vagante in the most perjorative connotation accorded to the phrase, can sleep at night with at least a modicum of assurance that they possess valid episcopal orders, unless form or intent are at issue. The time-honored practice in the so-called "independent" Catholic and Orthodox movements of garnering multiple episcopal consecrations or, subsequently, being re-consecrated sub conditione is effectively a means of leveraging the Augustinian theory.

Most such hierarchs operate on the premise that "more is better" or "there has to be at least one good one here somewhere". With most having an episcopal genealogy that traces back through an average of 30 ancestral lines of succession, from combinations of dissident Latin Catholic, Eastern and Oriental Catholic, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox hierarchs, they can feel reasonably secure. Those lines which cannot be proven valid because there is serious doubt as to the validity of one actor (e.g., the so-called Melkite-Aneed Line) can and do feel comfortably buffered by Duarte and Ofiesh Lines.

People sometimes point to subsequent acts by bishops of these "Churches" which break faith with Catholic doctrine and erroneously perceive these as breaking the line of apostolic succession. For instance, no bishop, regardless of the validity of his episcopal orders, can validly ordain a woman. But, that he did so would not invalidate his subsequent ordination of a man, with proper intent and according to proper form. So, it is possible to go rather far afield theologically yet still retain apostolic succession.

None of this is to say that all such entities have valid orders or sacraments (e.g., the Liberal Catholic Church is certainly suspect), but an inordinate amount of effort has to be put into tracing and verifying or rejecting such when presbyters or hierarchs of these Churches are received into communion.

(For many years, the Old Catholic Church of the Utrecht Confession greatly facilitated doing so. It dutifully sent notice of each episcopal ordination to Rome which, in turn, notified the OCC of its canonical displeasure - an exchange that reputedly traced back more than a century. You have to sometimes look at the light side; I know it's sick - humor me - I picture clerical minions on each side, situated in subterranean rooms, cranking out elaborate documentations with seals affixed and dispatching them posthaste to their counterparts.)

The Orthodox Churches, relying on the canonically legal status of the hierarch conferring orders (his status in communion with a recognized jurisdiction to which the Church accords canonical status), have a much simpler task before them in assessing validity and, since they do not make the distinction of licitness, the end result is clear-cut.

Of interest is that, in recent years, the Catholic Church is starting to move away from the Augustinian and toward the Cyprianic theory - witness the Milingo fiasco a few years ago.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
A
In my opinion the Cyprianic one is very coupled with jurisdiction.
Consider a bishop which separate himself from a canonical Church, and start a new one. Usually this entity is non-canonical and not recognized by main Churches.

Thus, is this bishop is still a bishop?
Is canonicity or attachment to an establish jurisdiction a requirement to be considered 'a church'?

Father David:

Father bless!!

Thanks for having my back. grin That's what I get for dashing off a quick reply in between other things. Multi-tasking always gets me in trouble.

Asking for your blessing and continued holy prayers.

Neil:

After learning about the two different ways of approaching this question, I really think it would be a good thing to balance both views so as to avoid all the vagante groups and the problems they cause.

Bob

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for your replies.

Do these views appear to be contradictory, or can they be held in tension? The reason I ask is that I wonder if this becomes an issue to reunion between East and West.

Do Eastern Catholics see this tension as problematic, or is it something that really doesn't affect them?

S
S
If it wasn't a problem in the first millennium, it ought not be a problem now. In fact, the so-called Augustinian view did not become dominant in the West until the second millennium--I suspect as a way of protecting the Church from domination by competing secular powers. Prior to that, we see East and West in general accord on the matter. Clerics deposed by the Ecumenical Councils ceased to be clerics--they reverted to the lay state, and any and all of their acts thereafter were invalid. There is a lot to be said for that in our present, post-Constantinian situation.

D
OP Offline
D
Stuart,

your post was a surprise. I had never heard anyone claim that the west had a similar view in the first millenium, that clerics ceased to be clerics, but instead reverted to the lay state. This sounds different than the current practice of laicization in the Latin Church. These "former" priests still are priests, according to the west, but they have no faculties.

Isn't this similar to the contraversy between the re-baptism of heretics in which Pope St. Stephen (ca 250AD) did not require rebaptism. Wouldn't this be, essentially, the same thing?

Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Manuel,

St Cyprian of Carthage, like all of those declared Saints prior to the Schism, is venerated in both East and West.

Many years,

Neil

Dear Irish,

Thank you. I do know this, but thank you none the less. I asked because of the end of Fr. Straut's statement, namely:

it is typical to ascribe St Cyprian's ecclesiology vis a vis heresy and schism and their effect upon Holy Orders to the Orthodox Church.

I wasn't really sure what he meant by this since he is a saint in the Church, east and west.

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Last edited by theophan; 08/25/10 04:12 PM.
Daer Irish Melkite and others,

how, in this forum, do you guys use those selective quotes where you are just quoting a certain sentence cuz it ain't working for me?????

I know this is a tech question but there is a good example in here of how my quotes are not working and others, such as you quoting theophan, is working.

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Luvr of East:

When you go to the "reply" button and the little box comes up, select the button on the top that looks like a quotation mark. Then cut and past your quote BETWEEN them.

Bob

Daer Irish Melkite and others,

how, in this forum, do you guys use those selective quotes where you are just quoting a certain sentence cuz it ain't working for me?????

I know this is a tech question but there is a good example in here of how my quotes are not working and others, such as you quoting theophan, is working.

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Thank you theophan. For whatever reason my quotes are looking properly now. Technology and I are not the best of friends lol. That is what I did, IDK. Thank you none the less.

Kyrie eleison,

Manuel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.