The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
A
AMM Offline
A
Lost in all of this, unless I'm missing somewhere in the 14 pages, is the fact that Fr. Gabriel was received AFAIK by vesting and a profession of faith. I think there is something significant in that.

O
O
"We definitely "submit to the authority we recognize." My issue with what has been put forth in past threads as what I would characterize as the Cyprianic-economia theory is how it works out in practice. Using the case of the Catholic priest being received by vesting: let's say an RC priest and his twin layman brother, both having been baptized Catholic, same time, same priest baptizing, yet the priest-brother is received by vesting, but the layman-brother is received by baptism/chrismation. What does this practice say about the necessity of baptism and that it can only be done once and it is sacrilegious to try to repeat it? So theory is fine and may be readily stated but the proof in many cases is in the practice and results or ramifications of the practice."

I will attempt to answer your misgivings as to the consistency but of course it is a pastoral concern and is to be decided by the Bishop. in your scenario both brothers have received the Grace of Baptism. Let me explain what I mean. No Orthodox church that I know of accepts that there are sacraments outside of the Orthodox Church ( though I have heard others disagree...I can only think that they are misinformed)The OC would not recognize either baptism as being Grace filled, only through economia at the teaching of St Basil would the Church be willing to accept the form of the sacrament. Since it has the form but not the Grace Chrismation will fill the previously empty form. If however, it is determined that Economia will not be used then both brothers would be baptized (not rebaptized), chrismated, etc. If they go to the same priest they will be treated the same.If the one is received one way so will the other as long as it is under the same Hierarch. Since we have a canonical abnormality here with overlapping jurisdictions it may seem inconsistent but it is not. There are many who feel that due to relatavism and false ecumensim (as opposed to genuine ecumenism) that it may be better to accept all converts through Baptism however, that is something the Bishops will decide. Thankfully this is on the list for the North American Episcopal Assembly. They may end up picking one way or respecting the Hierarch's decisions.
Hope this clarifies.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by orthodoxsinner2
... No Orthodox church that I know of accepts that there are sacraments outside of the Orthodox Church ( though I have heard others disagree...I can only think that they are misinformed)
So in the Catholic and Oriental churches there is no baptism, chrismation, eucharist etc.? For instance, the bread and wine a Catholic receives as communion is just bread and wine?

The OC would not recognize either baptism as being Grace filled, only through economia at the teaching of St Basil would the Church be willing to accept the form of the sacrament.
So economia accomplishes what actual baptism should have? And it can also effect ordination (and simultaneous baptism and chrismation?) for the brother who is received by vesting?

Since it has the form but not the Grace Chrismation will fill the previously empty form. If however, it is determined that Economia will not be used then both brothers would be baptized (not rebaptized), chrismated, etc.
Does the baptism and "not rebaptized" imply or denote that they were not Christians?

If they go to the same priest they will be treated the same.If the one is received one way so will the other as long as it is under the same Hierarch.
If the "priest" brother is received by vesting the lay brother cannot be received the same way.

Since we have a canonical abnormality here with overlapping jurisdictions it may seem inconsistent but it is not.
They needn't be overlapping; how about just adjacent, or whatever, since it is based on the policy of the bishop?

There are many who feel that due to relatavism and false ecumensim (as opposed to genuine ecumenism) that it may be better to accept all converts through Baptism however, that is something the Bishops will decide.
Again then, is it fair to conclude that (all) converts, since they are (properly, according to best practice) being baptized, are not considered to have been Christians?

A
A
Originally Posted by Ad Orientem
Fr. Gabriel Bunge (OSB), a renowned monastic and master of Patristics, was received into the Orthodox Church by Patriarch Kyril of Moscow and all Russia and Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk on the eve of the Dormition (Old Calendar). Fr. Gabriel has been living the life of a hermit in Switzerland for several decades and is the author of a number of books.

According to our oriental friends, when the the "conversion" is from Catholic to orthodox it is perfectly ok and celebrated with great fast, while when the "conversion" is in the other sense it is simply a "horrible proselytism".

I too some time ago was thinking to pass to the Orthodox, but then I realized of how much "intellectual proud" is there, and I preferred to remain with the imperfect, but humble, Catholics

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
And there is no "intellectual pride" among Catholics?

S
S
Never met a Jesuit, I imagine.

I think the Ruthenian Monks in Miami were also received by vesting into the OCA.

cool

S
S
Not that I want to reopen that can of worms, but how are those monks doing, these days? Is the monastery still open, and if so, are they attracting novices?

J
J
Not in Miami any more.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Protection_of_the_Theotokos_Monastery_%28Weaverville,_North_Carolina%29

Jim

S
S
They seem to be doing well. It's funny how they fudge their uniate origins on their web site. The Ruthenians' loss is the OCA's gain. Thanks, Bishop Andrew!

Lost in all of this, unless I'm missing somewhere in the 14 pages, is the fact that Fr. Gabriel was received AFAIK by vesting and a profession of faith. I think there is something significant in that.

So what, why is it so important for Catholics to have the schismatics "approve" the validity or legitimacy of the holy mysteries?

They are the ones who long ago made their exit from the Church and use the sacraments ilegitimately.

A
AMM Offline
A
That's a good point. I will have to think about that as I have myself just returned from our weekly sacramental misuse session.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Originally Posted by Mexican

So what, why is it so important for Catholics to have the schismatics "approve" the validity or legitimacy of the holy mysteries?

They are the ones who long ago made their exit from the Church and use the sacraments ilegitimately.

Garbage! That is about as nice of a response as I can come up with to this trash. If I were to write what I actually wish to write, I would likely be suspended, if not banned,

S
S

I don't know. You seem to be a schismatic type, why don't you tell us?

John
John
Originally Posted by Mexican

Mexican,

Might I suggest that you familiarize yourself with some of the Teachings of the Catholic Church? You do great damage to the Church when you present non-Catholic Teachings as Catholic. There is plenty to study and you can find it easily but for now I will quote only one source:

VATICAN II's DECREE ON ECUMENISM (UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO)
15. Everyone also knows with what great love the Christians of the East celebrate the sacred liturgy, especially the eucharistic celebration, source of the Church's life and pledge of future glory, in which the faithful, united with their bishop, have access to God the Father through the Son, the Word made flesh, Who suffered and has been glorified, and so, in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, they enter into communion with the most holy Trinity, being made "sharers of the divine nature". Hence, through the celebration of the Holy Eucharist in each of these churches, the Church of God is built up and grows in stature and through concelebration, their communion with one another is made manifest.
Pope John Paul II emphasized this in his letter "Ut unum sint"(end of section 12) with: "The Council's Decree on Ecumenism, referring to the Orthodox Churches, went so far as to declare that "through the celebration of the Eucharist of the Lord in each of these Churches, the Church of God is built up and grows in stature". Truth demands that all this be recognized."

As an individual you may accept or reject the Teachings of the Catholic Church (or whatever church you might choose to join). But you may not post things regarding the Teaching of the Catholic Church (or any church) that are false. ¿Usted entiende?

Admin

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.