The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MSC2024SN1, Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala
6,005 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,803
Members6,005
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Actually, even Roman Catholicism was amenable to Caesaropapism. Remember that for centuries, the Papacy was a puppet of competing secular powers--whether the Hohenstauffens or the Hapsburgs or the Valois, and did their bidding much more readily than the Patriarchs of Constantinople did the bidding of various Emperors.

S
S
Can you please provide documentary proof for the following three statements you made?

Not today. Read your own history.

S
S
And Catholicism. Moreso Catholicism, in fact (if the forcible liquidation of Byzantine Catholic Churches, and forcible "conversion" to Eastern Orthodoxy, during the Communist period is any indication), because while Eastern Orthodoxy was amenable to caeseropapism, Catholicism was not.

When you use terms, you should know what they mean. Unless, of course, you are willing to admit that the Roman Catholic Church in Poland was as caesaropapist under the Communists as any of the Orthodox Churches.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Originally Posted by StuartK
Why don't Eastern Catholics in general evangelize?

Because for centuries the Roman Catholic Church discouraged it. We're the ethnic ghetto, we're supposed to look out for our own and leave evangelization for the RC (Really Catholic) Church.
First, is it true that Eastern Catholics don't evangelize?

Second, if it is true, what good does it do blaming someone else for your own failings?

It is true that our mindset is mostly opposed to it. We tend to be ethnic first and if some RC wanders in we receive them. You are exactly right. While Balarmand forces this issue it is our bishops who actually believe it. So how does a local parish buck the tide?

Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer
While Balarmand forces this issue

Interesting. Could you elaborate?

Last edited by Peter J; 04/23/11 02:11 PM.
StuartK #363506 04/23/11 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by StuartK
The Holy See directs that Eastern Catholic Churches are not to evangelize outside of their own "historic territory",

I think this is a case in which it would be helpful to see the precise wording of said directive.

Peter J #363512 04/23/11 03:32 PM
D
DMD Offline
D
Just have to add that for many Orthodox there is a reluctance to 'evangelize' in the Western sense, so perhaps this is not a unique Eastern Catholic phenomena.

Peter J #363515 04/23/11 05:51 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Peter J

I encourage you to google it. Our bishop agrees with it. It may or may not be official. I doubt that it matters. We tend to live by it. I'm really no longer interested in checking this or that official or unofficial document. I don't even wish to argue about the definition of Caeseropapism might be or how it has been applied to this or that region. What interests me is not only the survival of the BCC but also our growth. We are shrinking. We've been over that many times. Can we reverse the shrinkage? Should we bother?

S
S
Just have to add that for many Orthodox there is a reluctance to 'evangelize' in the Western sense, so perhaps this is not a unique Eastern Catholic phenomena.

True enough of some jurisdictions, but not of others. About half of the OCA these days consist of converts either from some other form of Christianity or from outside the Church altogether. And the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese is presently much more than 50% convert, with about 2/3 of the clergy coming from the ranks of former Protestants and Catholics. Of course, this has led to considerable tension within both jurisdictions, as the ethnically oriented "cradle Orthodox" find their comfortable hegemony challenged by outsiders who frequently have a much more rigorous approach to Orthodoxy than they do.

Other jurisdictions have not reached out beyond their ethnic communities, and invariably they suffer whenever immigration dries up, because ethnicity cannot hold people to such a counter-cultural way of life as Orthodoxy--there are too many convenient alternatives. As Metropolitan Kallistos says, soon nobody will be Orthodox who doesn't make a conscious decision to be Orthodox.

Last edited by StuartK; 04/23/11 06:37 PM.

I encourage you to google it.

Oh brother.

Peter J #363524 04/23/11 09:59 PM
Caeseropapism doesn't seem to be a topic that comes up in discussion very often. When it does it makes me think of Dr. Scott Hahn's now famous critique of Eastern Orthodoxy:

So I started looking into Orthodoxy.

Christ is Risen!

The points which Hahn makes trouble me since I perceive them as inaccurate. As one quick example - we have no Ruthenian Church so his knowledge seems insecure. There is no time to write a response;it is a busy day. But I googled one of Hahn's phrases and came up with an Orthodox response to him. (There are probably others -this is from Carlton.)

See
http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_carltonrome.aspx

Originally Posted by Hieromonk Ambrose
Caeseropapism doesn't seem to be a topic that comes up in discussion very often. When it does it makes me think of Dr. Scott Hahn's now famous critique of Eastern Orthodoxy:

So I started looking into Orthodoxy.

Christ is Risen!

The points which Hahn makes trouble me since I perceive them as inaccurate. As one quick example - we have no Ruthenian Church so his knowledge seems insecure. There is no time to write a response;it is a busy day. But I googled one of Hahn's phrases and came up with an Orthodox response to him. (There are probably others -this is from Carlton.)

See
http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_carltonrome.aspx

Yes, I've seen that response from Carlton before.

Interestingly enough, the Catholic writer William J. Tighe was critical of Carlton's book overall, but called that particular part of it "essentially just":

In the Epilogue, “A Note for Evangelicals Considering Rome,” he labels Roman Catholicism as “Protestantism repackaged in sacramental garb.” This comment is part of an extended (and, it seems to me, essentially just) critique of some comments by Scott Hahn in Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism, where Hahn explains why he dismissed Orthodoxy as an option in the course of his conversion from conservative Presbyterianism to Catholicism. Orthodoxy is, according to Carlton, “what Roman Catholicism used to be,” the religion of early Christianity even in Rome, living in today’s world.

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/print.php?id=13-07-033-b

Last edited by Peter J; 04/23/11 10:50 PM.
C
C

I encourage you to google it. Our bishop agrees with it. It may or may not be official. I doubt that it matters. We tend to live by it. I'm really no longer interested in checking this or that official or unofficial document. I don't even wish to argue about the definition of Caeseropapism might be or how it has been applied to this or that region. What interests me is not only the survival of the BCC but also our growth. We are shrinking. We've been over that many times. Can we reverse the shrinkage? Should we bother?

I'm honestly never sure whether I should try to help grow the BCC or the Orthodox Church. Living in an area without a BCC, yet having friends who become interested in the Eastern Churches, I am left by default to send them to an Orthodox Church. I've known several people who are interested in the Eastern Churches, and would like to be in communion with Rome, yet they don't want to become Latin Catholics, so they often end up becoming neither Catholic or Orthodox, because there really seems to be no way for them to become Byzantine Catholics. How could they even form some kind of community? If they formed a community and got together for reader's services, studied byzantine theology, ect, they still have no way to enter the Church without defaulting to the canonical status of a Latin or joining an Orthodox Church, both of which are not what they're looking for. I will admit however that as the study, they often come to the decision that they should become Orthodox, but for those who don't they're really stuck in a bad place.

Originally Posted by countertenor
I'm honestly never sure whether I should try to help grow the BCC or the Orthodox Church. Living in an area without a BCC, yet having friends who become interested in the Eastern Churches, I am left by default to send them to an Orthodox Church. I've known several people who are interested in the Eastern Churches, and would like to be in communion with Rome, yet they don't want to become Latin Catholics, so they often end up becoming neither Catholic or Orthodox, because there really seems to be no way for them to become Byzantine Catholics. How could they even form some kind of community? If they formed a community and got together for reader's services, studied byzantine theology, ect, they still have no way to enter the Church without defaulting to the canonical status of a Latin or joining an Orthodox Church, both of which are not what they're looking for. I will admit however that as the study, they often come to the decision that they should become Orthodox, but for those who don't they're really stuck in a bad place.

Do they tell you why they don't want to become Orthodox?

Last edited by Peter J; 04/23/11 11:32 PM.
Peter J #363543 04/24/11 06:49 AM
C
C
Some do some don't, but those who don't tend to lean towards becoming Orthodox once they spend some time with it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.