The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MSC2024SN1, Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala
6,005 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,803
Members6,005
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
john ford #380307 05/20/12 09:57 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by john ford
It was during this time that I was introduced to Orthodoxy and invited to attend the service of Divine Liturgy in English.
Why the Byzantine Divine Liturgy and not the TLM?

My point is that in seeking 'other' spiritualities I came to a better understanding of the mystical nature of the Christian experience of God.
how did Buddhism lead you to God?

Hi All,
Some time ago I left Christianity (Anglican) because I wanted to get away from what I saw as a very stinted view of God...
I am not sure about your (former) Anglican spirituality but today people often think of protestants as Sunday Christians and the Catholics and Orthodoxes as everyday Christians.

henrikhank #380308 05/20/12 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by henrikhank
Why the Byzantine Divine Liturgy and not the TLM?

I don't know what TLM means.

Why the Divine Liturgy? For one thing it is very similar to Tibetan Buddhist practice - particularly the chanting. The other was that I felt a connectedness that I had not experienced before.

how did Buddhism lead you to God?

It gave me the space and the permission to look beyond myself - I was freed from the imposition of ecclesiastical dogmas and narrow doctrines. In hindsight - it was mystical and experiential.

I am not sure about your (former) Anglican spirituality but today people often think of protestants as Sunday Christians and the Catholics and Orthodoxes as everyday Christians.

You are too cryptic for me.

john ford #380348 05/21/12 11:33 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I don't know what TLM means.
TLM=Traditional Latin Mass, i.e. using Missal of 1962 http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/tutorial/sample-liturgies.html

henrikhank #380360 05/22/12 02:33 AM
S
S
I wish people would stop the political correctness and simply say "Tridentine Mass" and "Novus Ordo". Then everyone would know what everyone else means.

StuartK #380412 05/23/12 12:39 PM
J
JDC Offline
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
I wish people would stop the political correctness and simply say "Tridentine Mass" and "Novus Ordo". Then everyone would know what everyone else means.

I see that you subscribe to the school that says language is for communicating. That's so last century. These days, ever since we ran completely dry of useful ideas worth passing on, language is mostly about muddling thought while sounding cool.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.