The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fr. Deacon Lance, 1 invisible), 345 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,778
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
did Gudonov consecrate him?
I'm sure he wished he could, and thus wouldn't have had to sequester Jeremias for so long until he acceded.

I
I
Originally Posted by Diak
The old 1819 transcription which is less than convincing. I would have thought you would have something better since the original of the Union of Brest with the wax seals has survived.
With the forged seals of the bishops of L'viv (or Lwów) and Peremyshl' (or Przemyśl)?
I should also note this 1819 transcription is not in the original language nor orthography of the Slavonic in use at that time.

It also states that.

This was trascribed at Sinai, the record of the Synod appears in the records of Constantinople and Alexandria (I don't know about Antioch), and in the Church of Greece, where it was incorporated by Rhalles and Potles (a literal Phanariot and a Macedonian from Vienna, both resident in Austria Hungary) into the Syntagma. If you can read Greek, especially in the orthography used at the time, be my guest:
http://pt.scribd.com/doc/55402373/%CE%93-%CE%91-%CE%A1%CE%AC%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B7-%CE%9C-%CE%A0%CE%BF%CF%84%CE%BB%CE%AE-%CE%A3%CF%8D%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B1%CE%B3%CE%BC%CE%B1-%CF%84%CF%89%CE%BD-%CE%98%CE%B5%CE%AF%CF%89%CE%BD-%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%B9-%CE%99%CE%B5%CF%81%CF%8E%CE%BD-%CE%9A%CE%B1%CE%BD%CF%8C%CE%BD%CF%89%CE%BD-%CE%95
p. 149 in the text, p. 165 of the 655 electronic pages.

This document does not negate that (1) Jeremias came and picked Job out of three candidates; (2) Job was the candidate publically supported by Godunov out of the three candidates; and (3) there is no account of an actual synodal election of Job himself to be Patriarch of Moscow. A Sobor does not elect three candidates to be picked by another prelate (and/or civil authority), they elect one by consensus.
I must say, rather amusing this nit picking, given your support of your Major-Archbishop-self-proclaimed patriarch's disregard of the canons he is sworn to uphold, which deny him the power to appropriate such a title.

Not to be redundant, but to repeat what I have already said, St. Job was enthroned as Metropolitan of All the Rus' in Moscow on December 11, 1586. Pat. Jeremiah entered Moscow on July 13, 1588. His acquiessence to elevate the Metropolitanate was announced at a Church Council of 3 archbishops, 5 bishops, 5 archimandrites and 3 monastic elders on January 17, 1589.

The election was a formality, conducted by Russian and Greek prelates (and yes, there is precedence for that, e.g. the election of St. Flavian as Patriarch of Antioch at the Second Ecumenical Council, when Pat. St. Meletius went to his reward after opening the Council-and fall asleep outside of communion with Pontiff Damasus in Old Rome), the other two candidates, Abp. Alexander of Novgorod and Abp. Valaam of Rostov predetermined to be elevated to metropolitans.

I don't know of a single Church which chose a different primate from the one it had when it received autocephaly, or when it was elevated to a patriarchate. That would be without precedence.

I
I
^ Now I see that you were complaining about the 1589 diploma. On that:

Yes, it is the original language (including the Greek that accompanies the signatures of the Greek clergy). In the orthography of the time. The type face is different, but it wasn't printed in the first place. What can you cite in support of your contention that it "is not in the original language nor orthography of the Slavonic in use at that time."

Wax seals don't come over the internet, nor in print. The facscimiles on p. 101 of the seals attached "is less than convincing" how?

Not to waste a lot of time over this, but you have to first show how this diploma is dispositive, when Orthodox praxis, then and now, gives that status to the Tomos of the Council of 1593, which had representatives of most, if not all, the autcephalous Churches-including Alexandria, which had protested the events of 1589 disputed their canonicity since then.

Rarely in my life have I seen a more worthy candidate for the episcopacy of any particular Church in terms of his spiritual, academic, pastoral, and liturgical formation. His scholarship is sound has withstood the test of doctoral committees (and yes, I have been present at the defenses of several of my friends and been asked to review dissertations), scholarly journals, critical academic review, and time. He is the real thing and has no need for spurious Internet postings containing invective, personal insinuations and material of dubious origin that are seen by few and taken seriously by even fewer. МНОГАЯ ЛІТА, ВЛАДИКО!

I
I
Christos Voskres!
Rarely in my life have I seen a more worthy candidate for the episcopacy of any particular Church in terms of his spiritual, academic, pastoral, and liturgical formation. His scholarship is sound has withstood the test of doctoral committees (and yes, I have been present at the defenses of several of my friends and been asked to review dissertations), scholarly journals, critical academic review, and time. He is the real thing and has no need for spurious Internet postings containing invective, personal insinuations and material of dubious origin that are seen by few and taken seriously by even fewer. МНОГАЯ ЛІТА, ВЛАДИКО!
ad hominem attacks are common, but ad hominem defenses are rare. And you have managed to combine both, in avoiding the nasty fact that your objections were met. Bravo!

The linked are the real deal. That you will not-or can't-evaluate them isn't of importance.

D
DMD Offline
D
I think we all have to be somewhat circumspect regarding issues of "validity" of this or that synod or seal or whatever. We Orthodox tend to "group think" that within the Greek Catholic universe that there exists a still suppressed desire to "come home" wherever "home" is to be found. Many forget after all there are still hundreds of thousands of living souls who are first hand witnesses to coerced synods and false unions. Speaking as a lawyer, it would seem that equity may not apply to produce any answers as both parties asserting a right here have unclean hands. (I mean East and West, not Disk or Isa.) History is what it is, understanding it is an important part of resolving resolving its long standing disputes, but too much rigid reliance on history can create even wider divisions.

I
I
I just came across this looking for the reference link to the documentation of the elevation of the Metropolitantate of Kiev and All Rus' into the Patriarchate of Moscow and All Rus'
Originally Posted by StuartK
Isa is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own history. Bishop Borys, when he was just Professor Gudziak, proved himself a brilliant, meticulous and perceptive historian. His book (which, from the dismissive manner in which Isa always treats it, I gather he has never read), is copiously documented from primary sources, which have a nasty habit of overturning post hoc attempts to rationalize skullduggery, incompetence and corruption.
The good Bishop's "brilliant, meticulous and perceptive" treatment of Pope Meletius Pegas' involvement consists of a endnote:
The career of Patriarch Meletios and his role in Ruthenian Church affairs deserve a separate monograph to update the rather polemical work by Malyshevskii
p. 373, note 9
and
The strongest opposition among the Eastern patriarchs to Jeremiah's unilateral activity in Moscow came from Meletius Pegas, patriarch of Alexandria, see Malyshevskii, [i]Pegas[/i, vol. 1, pp. 337-341 and vol. 2, pp. 3-4
p. 399, note 70.

Dear IAmisry,

First of all, he is "Saint Meletios Pegas," having been glorified by the Pope/Patriarch of Alexandria.

Secondly, why are you going after Vladyka Gudziak? What is your acquaintance with him or his work? Is it simply because he is a great EC leader?

Also, you say that the UGCC has a "self-proclaimed patriarch" and that the "canons" forbid him from appropriating that term.

Can you show when or ever His Beatitude Svyatoslav Shevchuk has ever referred to himself as "Patriarch?" I would be very interested to see even one such reference.

Certainly, many in the UGCC do refer to him as such. But not he himself.

The appropriation of the title "Patriarch" is one which Rome has yet to ever condemn. For example, Bl. Pope John Paul II was in Ukraine and heard the title "Patriarch" used several times during the Divine Liturgy he attended.

Unless my eyesight is really failing me, not once did he yell, "Hey you(kie)guys - stop that or I'll excommunicate the lot of you" or anything of the kind. The Pope didn't like the breaking of canons and wasn't above pointing the finger at wayward political-theologian priests, especially during his vist to San Salvador. Nothing of the sort with the UGCC. He even said the cause of Patriarch Josef was "just" when the latter reposed.

You will be aware that a Major Archbishop is equal in rights and power to a Patriarch in all but the title - so calling one a patriarch isn't elevating him or changing his status at all.
That Rome doesn't acknowledge a UGCC patriarchate has more to do with politics than with ecclesiology or church authority.

And I was under the impression that Orthodox theologians support the rights of EC Churches to greater ecclesial autonomy etc.

Boris Gudziak enjoys wide scholarly and ecclesial acclaim, and not only among Eastern Catholics. Several Orthodox friends of mine have, in the course of their academic studies, referred to Vladyka Borys' works and have attended his lectures. Not once have I ever heard them say something untoward about him - quite the contrary.

If you don't like the UGCC or Eastern Catholics as a whole, that is your right.

Alex

Dear DMD,

BRAVO!

(As a lawyer, could you do something about me getting my pm privileges back? No? We'll leave it alone then . . .)

grin

S
S
I'm wondering how many peer-reviewed doctoral theses from Harvard Isa has published?

I
I
Originally Posted by StuartK
I'm wondering how many peer-reviewed doctoral theses from Harvard Isa has published?
None.

Elaine Pagels published one.

Your point?

(ad hominem. Ah, I see).

I
I
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Dear IAmisry,

First of all, he is "Saint Meletios Pegas," having been glorified by the Pope/Patriarch of Alexandria.
Ah, yes. Thank you for my omission. It was done since I've been there last. Well deserved!

Holy Pope Meletios, cover the Orthodox and your land with your prayers!

Secondly, why are you going after Vladyka Gudziak? What is your acquaintance with him or his work? Is it simply because he is a great EC leader?
His authority as a scholar was invoked. I just replied. I didn't say a thing over his greatness or lack thereof as a scholar, let alone as a "EC leader."

Also, you say that the UGCC has a "self-proclaimed patriarch" and that the "canons" forbid him from appropriating that term.

Can you show when or ever His Beatitude Svyatoslav Shevchuk has ever referred to himself as "Patriarch?" I would be very interested to see even one such reference.
http://risu.org.ua/en/index/expert_thought/interview/43376/
btw the statement "There are several dimensions of this issue. A patriarchate can be understood as an honorary title. There are many such honorary patriarchs in the Catholic Church, like the Patriarch of Venice, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, and so on. This is an honorary title, but it has no foundation for a national church" is in error: the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem is a Palestinians, of a church of Palestinians, wanting it to be the national church of Palestine, and Venice had its own empire, let alone its own Republic and nation, when it got the title.

He calls all his predecessors, whom he claims to succeed, as such.

The appropriation of the title "Patriarch" is one which Rome has yet to ever condemn. For example, Bl. Pope John Paul II was in Ukraine and heard the title "Patriarch" used several times during the Divine Liturgy he attended.
yes, like infallibility, universal jurisdiction is something Pastor Aeternus sets up as an amorphous aura rather than a concrete practice. And yet we are supposed to hold it.

Besides, did he understand Ukrainian/Church Slavonic?

Unless my eyesight is really failing me, not once did he yell, "Hey you(kie)guys - stop that or I'll excommunicate the lot of you" or anything of the kind. The Pope didn't like the breaking of canons and wasn't above pointing the finger at wayward political-theologian priests, especially during his vist to San Salvador. Nothing of the sort with the UGCC. He even said the cause of Patriarch Josef was "just" when the latter reposed.
He also promulgated the Codex Canonum Ecclesiarum Orientalium, which forbids the UGCC from taking the title.

You will be aware that a Major Archbishop is equal in rights and power to a Patriarch in all but the title - so calling one a patriarch isn't elevating him or changing his status at all.
That Rome doesn't acknowledge a UGCC patriarchate has more to do with politics than with ecclesiology or church authority
compare your canon 153 with your canons 75-77, noting the second half of your canons 151-2.

And I was under the impression that Orthodox theologians support the rights of EC Churches to greater ecclesial autonomy etc.
Orthodox theology has nothing to do with bishops not in the Orthodox diptychs of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Boris Gudziak enjoys wide scholarly and ecclesial acclaim, and not only among Eastern Catholics. Several Orthodox friends of mine have, in the course of their academic studies, referred to Vladyka Borys' works and have attended his lectures. Not once have I ever heard them say something untoward about him - quite the contrary.
Saying his wrong is not untoward. Much less than his own assessment of Malshevskii-I didn't call Crisis and Reform a "rather polemical work."

It has nothing to do with likes or dislikes. The work was invoked as definitive and comprehensive, and I just pointed out one of its serious omissions. Halecki addressed the matter, Crisis and Reform could as well.

Dear Stuart,

OK, before you say it - I haven't published any from Harvard either.

So what's so great about Harvard re: Eastern Christianity?

I take it you've been to Harvard?

Alex

Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Dear IAmisry,

Ah, yes. Thank you for my omission. It was done since I've been there last. Well deserved!

Holy Pope Meletios, cover the Orthodox and your land with your prayers!

His authority as a scholar was invoked. I just replied. I didn't say a thing over his greatness or lack thereof as a scholar, let alone as a "EC leader."

http://risu.org.ua/en/index/expert_thought/interview/43376/
btw the statement "There are several dimensions of this issue. A patriarchate can be understood as an honorary title. There are many such honorary patriarchs in the Catholic Church, like the Patriarch of Venice, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, and so on. This is an honorary title, but it has no foundation for a national church" is in error: the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem is a Palestinians, of a church of Palestinians, wanting it to be the national church of Palestine, and Venice had its own empire, let alone its own Republic and nation, when it got the title.

But that doesn't change the fact that the title of "Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem" is just that - an honorary title of the Latin Church. The fact that it has many Palestinians doesn't change the status of that title. And Rome NEVER intended it to be a "National Church of Palestine" - that simply isn't the RC ecclesiology of the West. As for Venice, it too has an honorary title (which means it is directly under Rome where the Patriarch has no power whatsoever, unlike any EC Patriarch who is seen to be "sharing in the authority of the Pope to rule the particular Church" etc.). Of course, I support my Arab Orthodox and EC brothers in their aspirations for a national Church and the like. They are more than entitled to such, they want such and Heaven knows the suffering Arab Christians of today need all our support.

He calls all his predecessors, whom he claims to succeed, as such.

In fact, sir, he only calls "Patriarch Josef" as such, as do many UGCCers, other EC's, such as the Melkites and Orthodox bishops I've had the pleasure of conversing with on this matter. The fact is his position is that he won't call himself "patriarch" until Rome does first. But we laity and our clergy do commemorate him as "patriarch." We know it isn't approved by Rome and we want Rome to approve it. We act as if we already are a patriarchal church, awaiting Rome's approval. No one has condemned us yet. Let them try. Also, if the Arab EC's would like their Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem to be their true Arab Patriarch - I support that readily, as would we all. The Vatican website when discussing Patriarch Josef says that "his church gave him the title of 'Patriarch'" and it doesn't condemn that nor him. Let Rome condemn a church that has shed much blood for its loyalty to it. Somehow, it won't. There is no reason for Rome not to recognize our patriarchal status. It is really just a matter of time. There are no black and white answers here. We are Catholics. And yes, we do what we feel is best for us, even though it does break canons. Rome will just have to forgive us one day. We will also forgive Rome at the same time.

yes, like infallibility, universal jurisdiction is something Pastor Aeternus sets up as an amorphous aura rather than a concrete practice. And yet we are supposed to hold it.

Besides, did he understand Ukrainian/Church Slavonic?

Actually, Pope John Paul II's mother was Ukrainian Greek-Catholic from Ternopil and his cousins live there still. He was quite fluent in Ukrainian and always carried on conversations with UGCC bishops in Ukrainian. When I had the privilege of meeting him, we carried on our conversation in Ukrainian. I know he could read Church Slavonic. But the Divine Liturgy that was celebrated was conducted in Ukrainian.

He also promulgated the Codex Canonum Ecclesiarum Orientalium, which forbids the UGCC from taking the title.

Look, we are an Eastern Church governed by laws written by Latins and/or from a Latin ecclesial viewpoint. Orthodox commentators on Catholic Canon Law for Eastern Catholic Churches have said as much. Yes, there is tension in that relationship and that ecclesial arrangement. It's not perfect and we move ahead. Neither are the canons perfect and we feel, as an Eastern Church, that we ourselves need to have a say in the matter of how we are governed and in our own patriarchal government. The Decree on the EC Churches also maintains that we need to reclaim our heritage, our own theological, liturgical and canonical traditions. Affirming our need for a patriarchate (also in accordance with that same Decree) and doing whatever we, as an EC Church, can to bring it to realization is part of our tradition too. Rome can't have it both ways - first to tell us that only it can affirm our patriarchate after having said we need to reclaim what was lost in our identity and praxis as a result of the Unia.

That Rome doesn't acknowledge a UGCC patriarchate has more to do with politics than with ecclesiology or church authority
compare your canon 153 with your canons 75-77, noting the second half of your canons 151-2.

If you want to play "gotcha" with canons, I won't join you. The real praxis of our patriarchal government already exists and continues. I don't see what you are pointing attention to - nor do I or we UGCCers care.

Orthodox theology has nothing to do with bishops not in the Orthodox diptychs of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

You are wrong there because Orthodox theologians have commented on what they believe the EC Churches should be doing. Not all Orthodox believe that the EC and RC Churches are in utter darkness for not being in communion with the One, Holy, Orthodox, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I have spoken with priests and two bishops of the ROCOR jurisdiction who themselves gave advice as to what the UGCC should be doing in terms of maintaining what Orthodox traditions it has and the like. I know they respect UGCC priests who adhere to Eastern tradition. Yes, they do take an interest in the UGCC and they have something to do with us "heretics" though we are to them.

Saying his wrong is not untoward. Much less than his own assessment of Malshevskii-I didn't call Crisis and Reform a "rather polemical work."

OK, I agree. I have myself translated critiques of UGCC "definitive" histories of the Unia written by UGCC theologians/writers (e.g. Dr Mykola Krokosh who ripped apart a lot of the UGCC Catechism in that regard). I didn't fully understand what you were getting at, but now I believe I do and am satisfied with your articulation of your position.

It has nothing to do with likes or dislikes. The work was invoked as definitive and comprehensive, and I just pointed out one of its serious omissions. Halecki addressed the matter, Crisis and Reform could as well.

OK, again I'm sorry, and I agree with what you are saying. It is just that you sometimes come across as angry with EC's in general so people like me get their backs up against the wall. Perhaps that is because you are attacked in the first instance and there is no reason why you should be as you articulate your position, even though it may not be one that others agree with. Christ is among us!

Dear Isa,

I responded to your articulate post quote after quote. I don't know why my last part printed outside of it - probably because it was too long.

All the best,

Alex

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.