The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (theophan, San Nicolas), 376 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,778
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The young fogey
Originally Posted by Peter J
While I miss Pope Benedict, and realize Francis probably isn't a friend, so what? The nature of his office is he can't teach heresy. So I'm not leaving the church because of him or declaring him an antipope (sedevacantism). But I'm realistic. He's not high-church traditionalist and not interested in that. So I hope he leaves us alone.
Fair enough.

On a side note, I think it's just sad how web-forums (actually, I have a particular one in mind, but I won't name it) always seem to pit "traditionalist" Catholics and EC/EO against each other.

I don't know the forum you're referring to but know what you mean.
I would bet you've been there at some point. It's probably the best-known Catholic web-forum, and it has an Eastern Catholic section (that Eastern Catholics don't like) and a Traditional Catholic section (that traditional Catholics don't like).

smile cool

T
T
While I miss Pope Benedict, and realize Francis probably isn't a friend, so what? The nature of his office is he can't teach heresy. So I'm not leaving the church because of him or declaring him an antipope (sedevacantism). But I'm realistic. He's not high-church traditionalist and not interested in that. So I hope he leaves us alone.
Fair enough.

On a side note, I think it's just sad how web-forums (actually, I have a particular one in mind, but I won't name it) always seem to pit "traditionalist" Catholics and EC/EO against each other.

I don't know the forum you're referring to but know what you mean.
I would bet you've been there at some point. It's probably the best-known Catholic web-forum, and it has an Eastern Catholic section (that Eastern Catholics don't like) and a Traditional Catholic section (that traditional Catholics don't like).

smile cool

Gotcha. I never go there but I don't consciously avoid it. Just never get around to it.

I
I
The church can no more revoke papal infallibility than it can approve gay marriage; it's not mainline or Mormon; it can't revoke a doctrine.
All the more proving the fallibility of the Vatican in proclaiming it.
That said, I appreciate what Vatican II ostensibly was trying to do by balancing out/completing Vatican I by emphasizing local bishops. But it's still a non-starter in Orthodox theological opinion, so after a schism 75 years ago that never should have happened (in a way nothing to do with doctrine, you're right, DMD; the church did abandon your family; I can't tell you how sorry I am)
Not quite. Recent actions/statements of the Vatican on the issue (and also the absence of actions/statements when not only warranted, but requested) reveal either uncertainty or duplicity-but definitely not certitude of the Faith.
DMD and I are talking about a canyon an inch wide but infinitely deep: the nature and scope of the papacy, the ONLY real difference IMO between Catholicism and Orthodoxy.
LOL, that is, the only real difference IMHO between the Vatican and Catholicism/Orthodoxy.

Of course, that chasm has no bottom in large part because, notwithstanding claims to the contrary, the alleged infallibility/supremacy of the papacy has no definition. When does the "Supreme Pontiff" speak ex cathedra? The Vatican's theologians spend their days reading tea leaves, because His Holiness isn't saying. What charism does a bishop have not given him from his "supreme pontiff"? On that Vatican ecclesiology makes pronouncements as devoid of meaning as a Communist Bill of Rights.

T
T
Let's see what the Pope has defined ex cathedra: Mary's all-holy and was assumed into heaven. Filtering out the anti-Catholic sophistry from Orthodox apologists, all pious Greeks and Russians believe some form of both (Mary is Panagia/пресвятая). So what's the problem?

I
I
Originally Posted by StuartK
But it was a union, too, or in other words it was side-switching.

It was not conceived as such by the Kyivan bishops who initiated the push towards union. They believed it possible to be in communion both with Rome and with the Orthodox commonwealth; they did not seek to break communion with either Moscow or Constantinople, but felt only communion with Rome under terms similar to those of the Union of Florence, could ensure their survival at a time when they were under severe legal, social and economic pressure within the Kingdom of Poland. With Constantinople enfeebled under the Ottoman thumb, and Moscow actually hostile to Poland

Now be fair: the Commonwealth of Poland, in the process of pushing Lithuania aside, was quite hostile to Moscow. And Orthodoxy.

Rome was the only Church that could provide them with protection.
Well, that proved hope well misplaced.

Unfortunately for the Kyivan bishops, much had changed in the world since Florence, mainly the Reformation and the Council of Trent, whose exclusionary ecclesiology could not admit to the existence of other true Churches outside of the Church of Rome. Corporate reception of the "Ruteni" as an ecclesial entity was thus rejected, and in the end (per the Bull Magnus Dominus of 1598), they were received only as an aggregation of repentant schismatics, "Roman Catholics" who were allowed to retain their unique liturgical and disciplinary customs by "dispensation". Thus, the phenomenon of "uniatism" was born.

The Orthodox Churches responded to this development by breaking communion with the Uniates (though never completely, as any honest history of the region will acknowledge), and hardening their attitudes towards Rome. The real losers in all this were the Uniates themselves, who lost their ecclesial connection with their Mother Church, while at the same time being reduced to "spiritual helots" (Fr. Serge Kelleher's term) of the Church of Rome.
Good analogy.

I
I
Let's see what the Pope has defined ex cathedra: Mary's all-holy and was assumed into heaven. Filtering out the anti-Catholic sophistry from Orthodox apologists, all pious Greeks and Russians believe some form of both (Mary is Panagia/пресвятая). So what's the problem?
Munificentissimus Deus stands alone as the only pronouncement ALL of the Vatican's theologians are agreed on. Beyond that, they are all over the map (Fr. Ambrose has posted a running count here and there). The definition needs definition. Or rather, scrapping.

Ineffibilis Deus consists of nothing but an apology of anti-Catholic sophistry.

Btw, don't leave out قدوسة

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by IAlmisry
That said, I appreciate what Vatican II ostensibly was trying to do by balancing out/completing Vatican I by emphasizing local bishops. But it's still a non-starter in Orthodox theological opinion, so after a schism 75 years ago that never should have happened (in a way nothing to do with doctrine, you're right, DMD; the church did abandon your family; I can't tell you how sorry I am)
Not quite. Recent actions/statements of the Vatican on the issue (and also the absence of actions/statements when not only warranted, but requested) reveal either uncertainty or duplicity-but definitely not certitude of the Faith.
I'm not really sure what you're referring to.

I
I
By the way, Catholic doesn't necessarily mean ultramontanist. As a traditionalist I'm actually a papal minimalist, more interested in organic immemorial custom just like the Orthodox. The Pope is a distant figure to most Catholics; he's rarely used his office's infallibility; in 200 years he's used it twice, and to define things Catholics already believed. So it doesn't make sense to us when non-Catholics get upset over papal power.
You mean, like the Australians over The Dismissal?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_constitutional_crisis_of_1975

So your Supreme Pontiff only occasionally uses his power to set the seal on heresy. Once is one time too many.

I
I

Well, that ringing endorsement is sure to set the Orthodox on fire with enthusiasm to submit. What did we need a supreme pontiff for again?
He's not interested in the Eastern churches either. Much has been made in parts of the Catholic press of his role in Argentina as the default ordinary of Eastern Catholics there but that was just part of his job due to circumstances (no Eastern Catholic bishops there).
If he wants to keep it that way, it is going to be interesting to see Major Archbishop Shevchuk curtail his own agenda.

I
I
One example each:
https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/381927/1

The other I can't find the thread: it was the Vatican's synod of its Middle Eastern bishops 2 years ago now? that brought up the lack of movement on the promises in the Codex canones ecclesiarum orientalis for the power to ordain married men in the "diaspora."

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, that ringing endorsement is sure to set the Orthodox on fire with enthusiasm to submit. What did we need a supreme pontiff for again?
Well, if you "needed" the pope in the sense you mean, then we never would have renounced proselytizing your members (individually or otherwise). [Linked Image]

One example each:
https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/381927/1

The other I can't find the thread: it was the Vatican's synod of its Middle Eastern bishops 2 years ago now? that brought up the lack of movement on the promises in the Codex canones ecclesiarum orientalis for the power to ordain married men in the "diaspora."

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I guess you could call it "uncertainty" ... but I think I'd rather say "due caution", knowing how eager the Orthodox are to rake us over the coals. [Linked Image]

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, if you "needed" the pope in the sense you mean, then we never would have renounced proselytizing your members (individually or otherwise). [Linked Image]

P.S. Maybe the best description is this: I see you guys "needing" the pope in the same way that you (I presume, of course) see the Oriental Orthodox "needing" to be in communion with the Eastern Orthodox.

.. Liberal academic Orthodox and pseudo-Orthodox dissenter Catholics want to sit with the cool kids, going to conferences to give talks on 'Women Deacons Would Be Neat' and 'Why My Reading of the Fathers Is Right and the Catholic Church Is Wrong'. They don't want to be embarrassed by a bunch of conservative Catholics fleeing the abuses in the Novus Ordo by coming to their church. They can push all the right political-correctness buttons: anything but Rome and anything but '50s America. They're exotic (diversity coolness points; Westerners converting to Orthodoxy is a boutique religion like becoming a Buddhist) and can claim to have been oppressed (as sometimes Eastern Catholics were, as in the case of the Chornock schism).

I can see from your website that you obviously like 50's America, but I'm wondering what that has to do with any of this and when have any Easterners said anything bad about it?

The comment about Westerners becoming Orthodox is extremely offensive. You're insulting the entire population of Orthodox converts in the West, as well as Roman Catholics who cross over Eastern Catholicism and who have a similar conversion experience in that they feel called to the Eastern patrimony and spirituality. I would think most of these people feel it is a call from God. You seem to be calling them all frauds or so shallow as to be only wanting to be "cool" or different. I'm at a loss for words to describe how offensive and hurtful that is.

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by desertman
.. Liberal academic Orthodox and pseudo-Orthodox dissenter Catholics want to sit with the cool kids, going to conferences to give talks on 'Women Deacons Would Be Neat' and 'Why My Reading of the Fathers Is Right and the Catholic Church Is Wrong'. They don't want to be embarrassed by a bunch of conservative Catholics fleeing the abuses in the Novus Ordo by coming to their church. They can push all the right political-correctness buttons: anything but Rome and anything but '50s America. They're exotic (diversity coolness points; Westerners converting to Orthodoxy is a boutique religion like becoming a Buddhist) and can claim to have been oppressed (as sometimes Eastern Catholics were, as in the case of the Chornock schism).

I can see from your website that you obviously like 50's America, but I'm wondering what that has to do with any of this and when have any Easterners said anything bad about it?

The comment about Westerners becoming Orthodox is extremely offensive. You're insulting the entire population of Orthodox converts in the West, as well as Roman Catholics who cross over Eastern Catholicism and who have a similar conversion experience in that they feel called to the Eastern patrimony and spirituality. I would think most of these people feel it is a call from God. You seem to be calling them all frauds or so shallow as to be only wanting to be "cool" or different. I'm at a loss for words to describe how offensive and hurtful that is.

Um ... I believe he was criticizing/insulting "the phenomenon of fora like these snottily maligning trads as idiots and/or ignorant" and "Liberal academic Orthodox and pseudo-Orthodox dissenter Catholics [who] want to sit with the cool kids". Though I could be wrong.

D
DMD Offline
D
A question for "fogey". "The first traditional Catholic liturgy I went to (not counting high and highish Anglican services) was a WWII-refugee Ukrainian Catholic one 30 years ago."

Was that traditional UGCC service you reference akin to a "Low Mass" at Philadelphia's Ukrainian Cathedral, or was it like Fr. Galazda's Divine Liturgy following the Orthos at St. Elias UGCC in Brampton, Ont?

Just wondering....

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.