The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
John
OP Offline
John
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx
\\All gender neutral language is the result of politics, and is odious.\\

Not in and of itself. This is like saying that all cats are vicious (and I happen to be a cat lover).
My cat snarls at politically-correct gender neutral language! All cats become vicious when confronted with bad theology. biggrin

The whole move to re-write the texts with inaccurate language just so that it is gender neutral is rooted in the politics of secular feminism. That is part of the reason the Vatican has labeled it (like this example of omitting the word "men" in the Creed) as "theologically grave". That good people don't see the root politics does not mean that they don't exist.

B
B
Secular humanism and gender feminism is one thing.

Seeking to make the texts as accurate as possible is another.

F
F
There was a proposal about 20 years ago that Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics using the Byzantine Rite publish common texts of the Divine Liturgy and other services. Unfortunately, the commission failed, chiefly because the Eastern Catholic delegation led, I believe, by Fr. Robert Taft, insisted on so called inclusive language and modern English. As the pdf article notes the idea of modern "inclusive language" is foreign to Eastern Orthodoxy.
You should note that every Eastern Orthodox Church uses the same text for the services, although the English translations may differ. The Greeks favor modern English, while the Antiochians and OCA favor more traditional Elizabethian English.
I should note that it is quite common in the Eastern Orthodox Church for the Priest to read or chant the Anaphora out loud so that the people can hear it. His Beatitude, Patriarch Ignatius IV, the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch endorsed reading the Anaphora out loud.

Fr. John W. Morris

Originally Posted by Fr. John Morris
There was a proposal about 20 years ago that Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics using the Byzantine Rite publish common texts of the Divine Liturgy and other services. Unfortunately, the commission failed,
Hi Father. Is there further reading available on that effort?

(I realize I'm coming in quite late to this thread -- I'm not on this subforum very often.)

Chiefly because of the Eastern Catholic delegation? I doubt it. The way I heard it was there was no delegation, only a proposal that never got of the ground for lack of interest of all parties. Neither Orthodox or Eastern Catholics can agree to common texts within their own jurisdictions. How could they get several jurisdictions to agree with one?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
I do recall that at least ACROD and the BCC were going to put a common text together but that never happened. The "Blue Pew Book" that is in most ACROD parishes has a lot of translation that is the exact of the old 1966? Archeparchy of Munhall. I believe much of that came from the joint proposal. When the BCC finally got around to their part approx. 20 years later, they created the "teal terror". Which totally "ran off the rails".

Originally Posted by bpbasilphx
\\All gender neutral language is the result of politics, and is odious.\\

Not in and of itself.
This ^^ is an old post, but regardless I'm glad to see I'm not the only person on this forum who doesn't agree with "All gender neutral language is the result of politics, and is odious." cool

M
M
Gender neutral language has its place. It is recommended in style books, like The Chicago Manual of Style and the APA Manual of Style, for all modern publications.

That said, editors and technical writing instructors generally agree that this kind of language is best applied in degrees and that language used in things like the Pledge of Allegiance or in categories such as prayer are static and, therefore, may be immune to gender neutral language strictures.

Originally Posted by Mark R
Gender neutral language has its place.
Which is very different from saying that it is all odious.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.