The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
3 Images
F
Fr. Jon Offline OP
St. Michael's Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church, St. Clair, PA

This is the next installment of St. Clair, PA's byzantine collection...

A beautiful church; I was there in time for a Sunday Liturgy in October of 2007. The liturgy turned out to be choral - all choir in magnificent four-part harmonization and such. I was wowed.

This Church, before the foundation of the ACROD, was the mother-church of St. Clair area Byzantium (for lack of a better word). It was originally Greek-Catholic. Some of the interior iconography is very western in feel - such as the beautiful ceiling mural of the Blessed Mother and St. Michael.

The Iconostasis is absolutely marvelous!

Fast forward - the Saturday before New Years I went out to breakfast after morning Mass with the visiting priest and the parish sexton at one of the local Latin parishes. I thought I recognized a gentleman sitting across the booth-area. When he was leaving, he recognized my priest-friend. I asked him "Where have I seen you before." It turns out that back in October he was the subdeacon at this church. He told me he was recently ordained a deacon. I then asked for his prayers, as I am scheduled to be ordained to the diaconate in May. His warm response was wonderful - and the mutual promise of prayers heartening.

It is good that the unity of Holy Orders transcends unfortunate circumstances. Let us pray for mutual understanding in this New Year.
11 Comments
Thank you for sharing the magnificent pictures of this beautiful House of the Lord!!!! A fitting temple in which to honor the patronage and memory of Saint Michael the Archangel!!!!! The state of Pennsylvania certainly has some magnificent Churches. God Bless you as you prepare for your vocation to the Deaconate.

Again, thank you, for sharing the pictures with us!

John Doucette

F
F
For many years, Father Andrew Slepecky was the priest serving this parish - he was somehow the leader of the "Carpatho-Russian Administration" of what was then the "Metropolia" and is now the Orthodox Church in America. The "Administration" is long since dissolved and almost all the parishes returned to the Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese.

Fr. Serge

J
J
According to Mapquest there are 4 distinct towns of St-Clair in PA. Perhaps someone can identify the exact town this church is in. The iconostas is a beautiful.

I.F.

F
Fr. Jon Offline OP
OP Offline
F
St. Clair, Schuylkill County, a very short distance away from Pottsville - home of Yuengling beer grin

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Jean Francois
According to Mapquest there are 4 distinct towns of St-Clair in PA. Perhaps someone can identify the exact town this church is in. The iconostas is a beautiful.

I.F.

It is in St. Clair. 4 Orthodox/Eastern Catholic churches in Pennsylvania is a rather common. So yes, mapquest is correct, it is St. Clair.
Let's see, there is the UGCC right behind the ACROD. Then another UGCC two blocks away. Then a few blocks down is an OCA parish.
Then near the OCA parish is the Ruthenian Byzcath parish.

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
I meant "4 Orthodox/Eastern Catholic parishes in one Pennsylvanian town is common" in the above post.

L
L
Although Western-style iconography is not to my taste (ironically), it does have a beautiful merit all its own.

Alexis

U
U
Any pics of the "Bethlehem Carolers" from St. Michael's Church? I believe they are one of the last parishes who still observe this Rusyn Christmas tradition!

Christos Razhdajet'sja! Slavite Jeho!

Ung

It is beautiful...thanks for posting. I am quite enjoying this series on byzantine churches in Pennsylvania!

God bless and keep you....

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Although Western-style iconography is not to my taste (ironically), it does have a beautiful merit all its own.

Alexis

It is a beautiful church, through and through. The former pastor is splendid, the parish fostered a priest that was ordained August 28, 2006, the current priest is wonderful and the congregation are some of the most welcoming, caring and loving people you could ever meet.

I was blessed beyond measure to have served yesterday on the Cantoring team for the Funeral of Deacon Robert "Bobby" Kuchta, ministerial son of this parish.

It was my first visit to Saint Clair...had a feeling of deja vu and later realized it was thanks to the efforts of our Fr. Jon for having provided a virtual tour of this community many years ago.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.