The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally posted by Teen Of The Incarnate Logos:
I think Demi Moore looks Irish, personally, and her last name would seem to confirm that.

Actually, come to think of it, I think quite a few members of the Irish race look a lot like Greeks and vice versa. Is that just me?

Logos Teen
Actually, she DOES look Irish to me, now that you mention it...

God bless,

Karen

Name : Demi Moore

(Named for a beauty product her mother saw in a magazine)
Date of Birth : November 11, 1962

Place of Birth : Roswell, New Mexico, USA

Sign : Sun in Scorpio, Moon in Taurus

Height : 5'5''

Education : High school dropout

Husband : Bruce Willis(Ex), Freddy Moore(Ex)

Companion : Oliver Whitcomb

Kids : Rumer Glenn, Scout Larue, Tallulah Belle

Who knows about Demi or anyone else.

I have heard conflicting theories about her name. The only thing for sure is that actors and actresses of certain ethnic backgrounds, have in the past, completely hidden it and changed their names. This was also the case with Jewish actors and actresses, and even those of Russian background like Natalie Wood.

Did you know that Bette White and Marilu Henner are both half Greek? I only recently found out because diaspora Greek American publications have *outed* them--now that they are successful they both fondly discussed the Greek traditions they knew growing up.

Only Jennifer Aniston embraces her roots, because her dad is a fiercely proud Greek, as was her godfather Telly Savalas.

As for just how politically incorrect for one's career being Greek is: a female acquaintance (of Greek extraction) of mine who is a producer for NBC and worked quite closely with Bob Costas, told me that he refused to discuss his Greek roots or being Greek in any manner whatsoever.

Also, when one changed their religion for whatever reason--marriage, political and/or social aspirations, etc. (Spiro Agnew for instance) their connection to their ethnic roots and just about anything Greek died with their departure from Orthodoxy.

Alice

M
M
Originally posted by Alice:
Who knows about Demi or anyone else.

I have heard conflicting theories about her name. The only thing for sure is that actors and actresses of certain ethnic backgrounds, have in the past, completely hidden it and changed their names. This was also the case with Jewish actors and actresses, and even those of Russian background like Natalie Wood.

Did you know that Bette White and Marilu Henner are both half Greek? I only recently found out because diaspora Greek American publications have *outed* them--now that they are successful they both fondly discussed the Greek traditions they knew growing up.

Only Jennifer Aniston embraces her roots, because her dad is a fiercely proud Greek, as was her godfather Telly Savalas.

As for just how politically incorrect for one's career being Greek is: a female acquaintance (of Greek extraction) of mine who is a producer for NBC and worked quite closely with Bob Costas, told me that he refused to discuss his Greek roots or being Greek in any manner whatsoever.

Also, when one changed their religion for whatever reason--marriage, political and/or social aspirations, etc. (Spiro Agnew for instance) their connection to their ethnic roots and just about anything Greek died with their departure from Orthodoxy.

Alice
Dear Alice,

Betty White from The Golden Girls? I loved her in that show!

God bless,

Karen

Dear Alice and Karen,

does that mean St. Olaf is an Orthodox Saint? biggrin

Michael

Originally posted by lost&found:
Dear Alice and Karen,

does that mean St. Olaf is an Orthodox Saint? biggrin

Michael
LOL! Perhaps he is! LOL!
wink biggrin wink
Alice

OP Offline
Originally posted by Lawrence:
On the subject of Greek entertainers, when I was about 14 and learning to play guitar, I became a big fan (AND STILL AM) of the Anglo-Greek folk singer Cat Stevens (Stephen Demetre Georgiou) Ironically, Stevens has said in interviews that from his Cypriot background he inherited some negative feelings about Islam. Strangely however, after nearly drowning in 1977, Stevens embraced Islam, and has taken the name Yusuf Islam.
I saw an interview with Cat Stevens in 60 minutes a few years back - after 9/11. He is something of a tragic figure. Let us pray that he returns to his roots in Orthodoxy! (Of course, as such a public figure, such a return would lead inevitably to his assasination by adherents to the religion of peace.

Oh how I loved Cat Steven's music in the 70's when I was a teen..him and Carole King.

I cannot believe that a British Cypriot (Cypriots are generally quite serious religious Orthodox) would become Muslim, but he did...and it has been many decades now since his conversion, if I am not mistaken.

Alice

L
L
For the younger folks, and those like me that never grow up. The very fair skinned lead singer of Franz Ferdinand, Alex Kapranos, has a Greek father. Art Alexakis of Everclear is Greek, and Frank Zappa's father was half-Greek.

Strangely, no one has yet mentioned the Andrews Sisters, who had a Greek father.

As for Cat Stevens, he was raised Greek Orthodox, but his parents sent him to a Catholic school. He appears to have questioned some teachings of Christianity at an early age, like The Trinity, the use of statues etc, and by his teen years had apparently drifted away completely. I vaguely remember reading an interview with him once, in which he talked about the positive moral effect Islam had on society that was lacking in Christinity. Too bad, but Catch Bull At Four is still a masterpiece.

L
L
Frank Zappa is a mixture of Sicilian, Greek, and Lebanese.

Logos Teen

T
T
Actually I heard that Karl Malden's mother came from Czecho-Slovakia, and was Roman? Catholic. Marilu Henner's Father is Polish. Don't forget about Robert Urich who was of Rusyn Heritage. And what about Jack Palace? Does anyone know of any other stars who had any Eastern Catholic or Orthodox roots? I started another thread dealing with that topic

D
D
Did a little research. Looks like Demi is English and Scottish. :(

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.