The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tammy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
You can't tell me everyone who works at The Vatican is either clergy or religious... They must have janitors, secretaries, computer geeks to run the website, etc. I'd clean the Pope's toilet if it meant I could live and work in or near the Vatican! How do you get a job there?

Do you have to already work for a Bishop before he becomes a Cardinal, and then if he gets appointed to a position in The Vatican, he brings his staff with him?

The Vatican website has a page for their Labor office. It's in Italian. I translated some of the documents with Google and it appears to be more like the equivalent of OSHA than the equivalent of a personnel office.

Any insights? I suppose you would also need to know Italian?

Tammy

John Allen has a book called "All the Pope's Men" in which he details how the Vatican operates. In it he mentions many of the details of working there. Basically: the hours are good (like any European job), there are no taxes, but the pay is terrible!

Most people working in the Vatican are clergy or religious, but there is a good number of lay people. Most are Italians, though. I think it is unlikely for an American lay person to get a job there unless they already have a connection with a bishop or Cardinal who is assigned there. Needless to say, they would need to be able to speak at least Italian (and maybe now German smile ).

Originally posted by francis:
but the pay is terrible!
That is an understatement. Employees used to be able to buy duty free goods (even gas) in the Vatican, and that helped some.

I guess it must be difficult to get a pay raise working for an organization that believes that money is the root of all evil . . .

Why would they wish more evil on someone? wink

Alex

D
djs Offline
D
The pay is terrible but the benefits, including the death benefits, are spectacular.

And it is, as you all know, the LOVE OF MONEY that is said to be the root of all evil.

C
C
Originally posted by nicholas:
Employees used to be able to buy duty free goods (even gas) in the Vatican...
So, there is a Vatican Gas Station?

biggrin

Dave

M
M
Like any gov't job it helps to know somebody. Yes, I think that a bishop brings most of his own staff.

Many of the jobs for lay people are Italians - and their descendants. For instance, back when they put in that obelisk in front of St. Peter's, they demanded silence. But the ropes used to put it in its hole started to burn. One man yelled"Water", and quenched the flames. His family today supply the palms for Palm Sunday.

While visiting the St. Peter's a few years ago I was sitting in the pews in back of the altar and looking at men dangeling from ropes dusting the Balchinero that is over the altar. Those people are chosen from certain families too.

I would love to work at the Cong. for the Cause of Saints, or the Sacred Archaeology.

J
J
Give Bernard Cardinal Law a call.

Originally posted by J Thur:
Give Bernard Cardinal Law a call.
And what should he call him?

Gaudior, ducking

A
A
Joe and Gaudior:

You are sooo naughty! :p

Amado

A
A
djs:

And it comes to mind Elizabeth Taylor's own take about money:

"Money isn't everything; it's the ONLY thing!"

Amado biggrin

Working at the Vatican comes with many perks, the most notable being paid for not working. Blessed John XXIII, known for his witty quips, is reported to have answered a question regarding Vatican employees from a news reporter in the following manner:

Reporter: "Your Holiness, how many people work in the Vatican?"

John XXIII: "About half."

biggrin

L
L
I'd like to be put in charge of the Congregation For The Care Of Cats.

I
I
Tammy - here's a sure-fire method of getting a job in the Vatican. Join the small monastery of Russian nuns on the Via della Pisana. Once the Vatican realizes that you are from an English speaking country and presumably qualified to do this and that, they will be delighted to have you doing it (I know someone from Saskatchewan who joined that monastery and found herself swamped with Vatican work as a result). The only problem is that you will then need to speak both Russian and Italian.

Incognitus

T
Tammy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally posted by incognitus:
Tammy - here's a sure-fire method of getting a job in the Vatican. Join the small monastery of Russian nuns on the Via della Pisana.
LOL, I don't think my husband would appreciate that!

Tammy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.