The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone can comment on the books by Archbishop Raya on Eastern Christian spirituality that are offered by Madonna House. http://www.madonnahouse.org/publications/categories/russian.htm I enjoyed his "Byzantine Church and Culture," although I found it to be more of a panegyric than an objective history. Some of the titles look intriguing (e.g., "Celebration: Reflections on the Divine Liturgy"), but my book budget is very limited, etc.

Basically, I'm looking for a good commentary that is not too dense on the Divine Liturgy and/or the other Mysteries. In other words, I�m looking for something that is devotional as well as theological. I have a shelf-full of theology and other dense writings. But, I need something else: something that is more light-weight, yet still fully orthodox (little "o") and Byzantine. Any suggestions?

I would highly recommend Archbishop Raya's books. I have read several ("Theotokos," "Transfiguration," "The Face of God"). Plus, I heard his Christmas (Nativity) book is very good.

Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
While I'm asking for book comments, can anyone comment on Dormition Skete's "The Life of the Virgin Mary, the Theotokos" ? http://www.buenavistaco.com/GOC/hac-hb04-theotokos.html

I'm very pleased with their translation of the New Testament; I'm wondering how this book is.

Thank you.

-- John

Dear John,

I have read some of the dearly beloved Raya's books. I find his writing very illuminating, inspiring in Eastern thought. My very favorite of his books is The Face of God, which, alas, Madonna House does not have. It is out of print, but you might be able to find it some other way. I bought my copy from Icon and Book Service in Wash, DC. I later loaned it out, and have not received it back as yet. I have several of the themed books for various feasts. If you are reliable, I could send one to you which you could later return. I have been rewarded more spiritually for reading Raya than for any other EC or EO author.

Peace in Christ, Tammy

Tammy,

thank you for suggesting this title, The Face of God.

It is available via our own Seminary Bookstore.

http://www.byzantines.net/byzantinepress/prayer.htm

THE FACE OF GOD by Archbishop Joseph Raya
An easy to read synopsis of the doctrinal themes pervading Eastern Christian spiritual life
$10.00

Michael

Dear Michael,

Thanks so much for the link! I was unaware of the book's availability. I will be ordering another copy, as it was highly valuable to me.

Dear John,

This book may be what you are looking for. It is deeply meaningful and spiritual, yet not highly academic and dense. Please, if you would like to borrow other of Raya's books from me, ask. I am happy to spread his wonderful vision!

Peace in Christ, Tammy

I
I
Dear Everyone:
Tammy writes "I bought my copy from Icon and Book Service in Wash, DC. I later loaned it out, and have not received it back as yet."

A friend of mine frequently observes about this or that book: "It was a good book, as books go - and as books go, it went!"

Incognitus

An interesting side note as to why our Seminary Press has the Face of God. Back while Deacon Stan and I were really new in the Church 26 years ago, St. Josephs in Toronto OH at that time, Sr. Jean Marie was coming over from Pittsburgh and doing catechists preparation classes for the teachers. Arch Priest Moran had taught us so much already that she needed much deeper material for us(the group being taught) and she just loved Sayedna Raya's Face of God. So she contacted him and was given permission to reprint the book. It has been in print through them ever since.

That was the first book we were taught from after becoming Ruthenian Byzantine. Then within several years we found ourselves in Birmingham AL at St. Georges blessed by God to sit under his teaching when he would be here for the holidays or whenever he came to visit. Needless to say he has always had a big influence on our spirituality.

Pani Rose

S
S
DORMITION SKETE-THE LIFE OF THE VIRGIN MARY, THE THEOKOS, I've had for several years and I do recommend this book as well as all of the Sketes books. This book has 29 Chapters, Chapter 1-The Conception by Righteous Anna of the Virgin Mary and Chapter 29-The Theotokos if Bodily Translated on the Third Day. Appendix A. Mary Theotokos and the Church, Appendix B. The Gospel Reading for the Feasts of the Theotokos. The Epilogue: The Theotokos as Mediatress and a List of Icons, Illustrations, Layouts and Maps. It is a very well done book and I recommend it to everyone as it is "viewed and treated within the framework of Sacred Scriptures, Holy Tradition, Patristics and other ancient writings, together with the Liturgical and Iconographic Traditions fo the Holy Orthodox Church." Quoted before the "Preface" it is well worth the price and once you begin you will not want to put it down! Hope this helps!

Seraphim41
Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
Thank you, Everybody !!!

-- John

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.