The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tammy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I was 11 years old and Protestant when JPII was elected Pope. Through the years, even as a Protestant, I grew to respect and love him. Like most Catholics, I cried when he died.

I barely knew the name "Ratzinger" a month ago. I wasn't pulling for anyone in particular to win the conclave - there were so many good candidates and I just trusted the Holy Spirit to make sure the right one got selected.

And yet I was overjoyed when Cardinal Ratzinger - Pope Benedict XVI - stepped out on that balcony April 19. I feel such a strong connection to him. Like he is MY Pope. Almost like he is my grandfather!

Is this because this is the first conclave I have known as a Catholic?

Tammy

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
Tammy,

I'll agree with you. I feel the same for some reason and I'm of Polish extraction!

I'm pretty excited and happy with the future, but now I feel, more than ever, that the troops are mustering. That is, I know in my heart that we in the West are on the verge of a great struggle with the secular world, and I think we've got an excellent leader.

While Maureen Dowd in the NY Post might have meant this in a sad way, I think most of us can be happy that "the cafeteria is closed" indeed!

Originally posted by Tammy:

And yet I was overjoyed when Cardinal Ratzinger - Pope Benedict XVI - stepped out on that balcony April 19. I feel such a strong connection to him. Like he is MY Pope. Almost like he is my grandfather!

Is this because this is the first conclave I have known as a Catholic?

Tammy
John Paul II was officially my pope for almost one year. While I admired him greatly, and his theological works more greatly still, I never was able to feel a personal connection with the man. I always felt that he was my Patriarch, but not much more than that. Other teen-aged Catholics were making preparations to travel to Cologne JUST TO SEE HIM! and I couldn't understand why. I read his books, but I never felt as if it were my spiritual father speaking to me through them.

But all that has changed now. Perhaps it is because our Holy Father Benedict's emphasis on orthodox worship appeals to me. Perhaps it is because he is an accomplished musician. Perhaps it is because I know that under his guidance, East and West will come even closer to union. I need time to sort it all out, I think. My friends who were of the JPII, We Love You generation are still grappling with the fact that that great man has left this earth. I am beginning to suspect that I will struggle with the same feelings when our Holy Father Benedict reposes.

Well, I felt joy when Benedict XVI finally came out. Joy, and apprehension. My first thinking was, why that name? I knew about St. Mlachy, so that automatically came to my head. I am aware as well of the many prophecies about the Pope suffering, the visions of past Popes seeing the Vicar of Christ leaving Rome, etc. But for now, I am happy, and hopeful that there will be reunification between East and West soon.

B
B
I wondered if by choosing the name "Benedict," he was indicating he would be his own man and not a copy of someone who held the office previously. I was thrilled when he was elected. Reading his writings has proved to me just what a great gift this man is to the Church.

T
Tammy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a feeling that St. Pope John Paul the Great is in heaven praying to God, "Let the people love Benedict XVI even more than they loved me." And his humble prayers are being answered.

Tammy

C
C
I never thought I'd feel (emotionally) as connected to a Holy Father as I was with JP2. I think most people felt as if they knew him on a very personal level, and truly felt he was their spiritual father.

So when our new Holy Father was elected, I found myself surprised to feel an instant connection again. Not the same one-but not a lesser one either. Simply different.

Then I found out his birthday is the same as my late Dad's (April 16), so I believe that also had something to do with it.

I too think his priority would be to finish what JP2 hadn't, and re-establish East-West ties. I think he's almost approaching it as a personal obligation to fulfill the desire of his dear friend, JP2. He's just the man to do it.

Someone may have already posted this here, but just in case: www.popebenedictxvifanclub.com [popebenedictxvifanclub.com]

Created by the same people who did www.ratzingerfanclub.com [ratzingerfanclub.com]

Tons of articles by our Holy Father--you can really get to know his mind and heart.

"If we let Christ into our lives, we lose nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing of what makes life free, beautiful and great."

~Benedict XVI
Pope John Paul II was elected pope four years before I was born. Needless to say, I felt a strong attachment to him growing up. I'll definitely miss him, but I really like Pope Benedict XVI; he's very orthodox, and I love that.

God bless,

Jennifer

Perhaps it is the Holy Spirit within us afirming his election as Pope.
I have no doubt about the fact that the HS inspiried the Cardinals in their election process.
Now let us stand in awe at the wonders we are going to see God do in his pontificate.
Stephanos I

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.