The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yes, disliking "A Wonderful Life" is tantamount to treason. But then again, I also very much dislike (and have never been able to sit through an entire presentation of) Handel's "Messiah."

... to the gallows with him!

Originally Posted by moncobyz
Yes, disliking "A Wonderful Life" is tantamount to treason. But then again, I also very much dislike (and have never been able to sit through an entire presentation of) Handel's "Messiah."

... to the gallows with him!

Treason? Can you say more about that?

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. We watched it in the one of my friend's dorms a couple of weeks ago, and although it was funny in some parts it was also stupid and blasphemous in many aspects (the God part especially). If only they had stuck with the blood-thristy killer bunny.

Hersch

"It's a Wonderful Life"
Frank Capra commited this crime against humanity in 1946 and no Christmas has been safe since then.

R
R
Most overrated for me would include

The English Patient
A Passage to India
Chicago
Million Dollar Baby
The African Queen
Psycho

Originally Posted by DAVIDinVA
"It's a Wonderful Life"
Frank Capra commited this crime against humanity in 1946 and no Christmas has been safe since then.

See, I'm not the only one who speaks treason. Awful movie!

Originally Posted by moncobyz
Originally Posted by DAVIDinVA
"It's a Wonderful Life"

See, I'm not the only one who speaks treason. Awful movie!
Ever notice "Capra" is an anagram of "a crap"...coincidence? maybe, maybe not.

W
W
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (I get sick just thinking that I sat through that ONCE) and Terms of Endearment (an adultery-justifying stinker).

C
C
A Clockwork Orange
Citizen Kane
Dr. Zhivago
Gone With the Wind
Wizard of Oz
The Matrix (all of them)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
To Kill a Mockingbird
Platoon
An Inconvenient Truth

Anything starring Tom Cruise
Anything by Michael Moore

Maybe it would just be better to discuss films that actually live up to their hype ...

Frank Capra has better films.

What is distasteful about "Messiah"?

Terry

I would never call "The "Messiah" distasteful, especially since it is an orthodox religious piece of music. However, to me it's just extremely repetitious (like most oratorios). In addition, I don't find the music itself pleasing/enjoyable. The "Hallelujah Chorus" is often just screamed (a la the Morman Tabernacle Choir) and not sung (granted, this isn't the composer's fault). I guess I am more of a Bach and Mozart fan when it comes to religious classical compositions.

Anyway, maybe a new thread: Overrated Classical Pieces.

Discussion brought back memory of Seventh Grade when the new high school music teacher was going to expose us hillbillies to culture. Our first introduction (albeit for Saturday morning Bugs Bunny cartoons) to "the classics" was Wagner's "Lohengrin," whence comes "Here Comes the Bride," a favorite of many Protestant weddings I attended as a child (prior to the release of The Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun").

And if only the brides realized that the scene in Lohengrin featuring that music is a RAPE scene maybe they wouldn't use it at their weddings (one of my pet peeves).

C
C
Rape? Yes it is the music for the entry of Lohengrin and Elsa to their bridal chamber following their (ultimately doomed) wedding. It is sung by her attendants as they accompany her to the bridal chamber. But rape? I think that is a novel interpretation.

My mistake ... but which music am I thinking of then??? Ugh I can't remember. I know there is a very famous piece of music that people get all mooshy about, not knowing that it is associated with a rape scene. What am I confusing Lohengrin with?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.