The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#262429 11/15/07 09:39 PM
OP Offline
Historic Whiskey Could Go Down Drain
Published: 11/15/07, 4:05 PM EDT
By JOE EDWARDS

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Here's a sobering thought: Hundreds of bottles of Jack Daniel's whiskey, some of it almost 100 years old, may be unceremoniously poured down a drain because authorities suspect it was being sold by someone without a license.

Officials seized 2,400 bottles late last month during warehouse raids in Nashville and Lynchburg, the southern Tennessee town where the whiskey is distilled.

"Punish the person, not the whiskey," said an outraged Kyle MacDonald, 28, a Jack Daniel's drinker from British Columbia who promotes the whiskey on his blog. "Jack never did anything wrong, and the whiskey itself is innocent."...

One seized bottle dates to 1914, with its seal unbroken. Elks said it is worth $10,000 on the collectors market. Investigators are looking into whether the liquor was being sold for the value of the bottles rather than the whiskey.
http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll?...c=-2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt

Aren't they talking about whiskey that lasted through prohibition? It's kind of like the budda that the Taliban blew up in Afganistan ( not really) but, a real part of Americana. But then, I am not a whiskey drinker, but I know those who love it - really love it biggrin

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Historic Whiskey Could Go Down Drain
Published: 11/15/07, 4:05 PM EDT
By JOE EDWARDS

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Here's a sobering thought: Hundreds of bottles of Jack Daniel's whiskey, some of it almost 100 years old, may be unceremoniously poured down a drain because authorities suspect it was being sold by someone without a license.

Officials seized 2,400 bottles late last month during warehouse raids in Nashville and Lynchburg, the southern Tennessee town where the whiskey is distilled.

"Punish the person, not the whiskey," said an outraged Kyle MacDonald, 28, a Jack Daniel's drinker from British Columbia who promotes the whiskey on his blog. "Jack never did anything wrong, and the whiskey itself is innocent."...

One seized bottle dates to 1914, with its seal unbroken. Elks said it is worth $10,000 on the collectors market. Investigators are looking into whether the liquor was being sold for the value of the bottles rather than the whiskey.
http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll?...c=-2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt

Aren't they talking about whiskey that lasted through prohibition? It's kind of like the budda that the Taliban blew up in Afganistan ( not really) but, a real part of Americana. But then, I am not a whiskey drinker, but I know those who love it - really love it biggrin

EES OUTRAGE !

-- Ivan

A
A
Double outrage! Anathema! biggrin

Rum and Vodka lover, with Kahlua of course! wink

A
AMM Offline
A
If they're going to do anything, the state should sell it off and use the proceeds for something useful. Pouring a bottle of the water of life, no matter the age, is just wrong.

They can send it to my house, and I'll see that it's properly "disposed" of.

R
OrthoDixieBoy
OrthoDixieBoy
R
Thats totally insane!

Would the taste of the whiskey mature in the bottle or would its seal leak (even if minutely) so that it loses its spark?

Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
Would the taste of the whiskey mature in the bottle or would its seal leak (even if minutely) so that it loses its spark?

I'm curious...I know liquor gets better as it ages. But drinking 100 year old booze? Does it ever reach a point where it's harmful? confused

F
F
This is typical of America's Calvinist ethos - whiskey is bad so find an excuse to pour it down the drain!

Whiskey itself is morally neutral; it can be put to good use or bad use (there is, of course, such a thing as "bad" whiskey, in the sense of poorly made, but even then the immorality, if any, pertains to the people who made the rotgut).

We might do well to have a bit of romance in our souls. Remember:

She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but he loved her still!

Fr. Serge

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
We might do well to have a bit of romance in our souls. Remember:

She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but he loved her still!

Fr. Serge

laugh Duoh ! LOL !!! biggrin

-- John

R
R
Reminds me of a joke I heard on the local Ukrainian radio program:

After a night of drinking, Vasily went to confession and the priest said, "You know Vasily, whiskey is your greatest enemy."

Vasily replied, "But father, don't you preach that we should love our enemies?"

The priest retorted, "Yes Vasily you should love your enemies, but I never said that you should swallow them!

.....d'ooh! Yea, I know it's bad... smile

A
AMM Offline
A
This is typical of America's Calvinist ethos - whiskey is bad so find an excuse to pour it down the drain!

The Puritans brewed and drank beer, and IIRC also distilled cider, which is still a popular drink in New England. Western Pennsylvania, which was a center of Ulster immigration, was a prime area for the armed conflict known as the "Whiskey Rebellion"; which while in a general sense was a conflict over centralization of the government, was triggered by an increase in the taxation on small whiskey distillers.

The temperance movement in this country was largely wesleyan in origins. Also, if you enjoy Bourbon Highballs, that drink is also known as the "Presbyterian".

And that ends today's boring history interlude.

Last edited by AMM; 11/16/07 01:50 PM.
C
C
Speaking of the Calvinist ethos ...

I don't know if many of you are aware of how many cities, towns and counties in the South are 'dry' (as sale of alcohol within the city/county limits is illegal). But there are quite a few (I lamentably live in one of these 'dry' cities). Moore County, the county in which Lynchburg, Tennessee sits, is a dry county.

So while you can tour the distillery and see how Jack Daniels is made you cannot sample or purchase the product there at the distillery.

Funny, isn't it?

L
L
Well, my 21st birthday is in just over a month. Tennessee authorities, you owe me a birthday present! I can't think of anything more perfect! smile

Alexis

F
F
Fr.Serge might get a kick out of this one.I was in the office of my job(a restaurant),waiting for one of my bosses,an Irish Catholic,to get me my paycheck.There was a case of some type of gin on the floor.As my boss was looking for the check,I remarked,"Only a dumb Englishman would drink gin."The boss, whom I know to be a lover of Guiness and Jameson's,looked me in the eye and replied,"I drink gin."It was all in good fun.Back in the 90's,when I was studying the Irish language at the Detroit Gaelic league, I ordered a Bushmills at the bar.It was served up in a plastic cup and with a dirty look.I never made that mistake again!

F
F
Bushmills in a plastic cup and with a dirty look? I gather you learned Irish; I trust you put the language to good use on that occasion. "Caca diabhail" comes to mind at once, as do other expressions.

Fr. Serge

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.