The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
Got this from a Vatican listing I get each morning...Bishop Andrew Retired... Fr. Dino was named the new bishop in California...

* Passaic (Ruthenian), New Jersey, USA
+ Retired: Andrew Pataki
+ Named: William C. Skurla

* Van Nuys (Ruthenian), California, USA
+ Named: Gerald N. Dino

Last edited by Fr. Deacon Lance; 12/06/07 03:56 PM.
S
S
Here is what I found! St. Nicholas intercedes on our behalf!
Does anyone know anything about the new Bishop Dino??

Thursday, December 06, 2007
Byzantine Ruthenian Bishops in America

The Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI has accepted the resignation of His Excellency Andrew Pataki from the pastoral governance of the Eparchy of Passaic of the Ruthenians (USA) in accord with canon 210 �� 1-2 of the Code of Canon Law for the Eastern Churches.

The Pope has nominated as the new Bishop of Passaic of the Ruthenians His Excellency William C. Skurla, at present Bishop of Van Nuys of the Ruthenians. Bishop Skurla was born in 1956 and studied theology at Washington Theological Union in Washington, DC, and at the Vincentian Seminary in Palmerston, Pennsylvania. His religious formation was provided by the Byzantine Franciscans of the Order of Friars Minor in which he received priestly ordination May 23, 1987. He was Director of Vocations for the Monastery of the Dormition in Syberrtsville. After incardination into the Eparchy of Van Nuys November 1, 1993, he wass Pastor of the Church of St. Melany in Tucson, Arizona, as well as a Consultor for the Eparchy. He was named Bishop of Van Nuys by Pope John Paul II February 19, 2002 and received Episcopal ordination April 23, 2002

The Holy Fatherr Pope Benedict XVI has named as the new Bishop of the Eparchy of Van Nuys of the Ruthenians Reverend Monsignor Gerald N. Dino, at present Protosyncellus of the Eparchy of Passaic and Pastor of St. George�s Church in Linden, New Jersey. Bishop-elect Dino was born in 1940 in Binghamton, New York. He studied philosophy at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh (earning a Bachelor of Arts degree) and theology at Pittsburgh�s Byzantine Catholic Seminary of Cyril and Methodius. Ordained to the priesthood for the Eparchy of Passaic March 21, 1965, he was in pastoral ministry until 1970. From 1970 to 1972 he studied at the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome, earning his License in Eastern Church studies. Back in the USA, he served in various positions within the Eparchy, including from 1972 to 1973 Pastor of the Church of St. Nicholas in Dunellen, New Jersey; from 1973 to 1979 professor and dean of Byzantine Catholic Seminary in Pittsburgh; from 1979 to 1996 Pastor of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Jessup, Pennsylvania.

Since 1996 he has served as Protosyncellus of the Eparchy of Passaic and Pastor of St. George�s Church in Linden, New Jersey (not to mention Administrator of the nearby Church of Sts. Peter and Paul in Elizabeth, New Jersey).

posted by Penitens | 6:56 AM

<< Home

Thank you for visiting A Penitent Blogger

Job,
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Thank you for alerting us about the new Eparchs of Passaic and Van Nuys, but I feel that your personal comments were not appropriate. Paul told Titus: "Remind them...to show perfect courtesy toward all men." Titus 3:1-2

Ray

F
F
Dear Ray,

The Blessing of the Lord!

I would almost always sympathize with your suggestion that slanging off Bishops is deplorable. However, exceptions do happen, and I fear that the now Bishop-Emeritus of Passaic is, to put it politely, a person concerning whom there is so much controversy that some unfortunate expressions of gladness at his resignation are to be expected. No doubt these comments could be more courteously worded, but that would probably only increase the effect.

We may pray that the Eparchy of Passaic will enjoy renewed prosperity with the episcopal care of Bishop William - I in particular am hoping that the Museum and Heritage Center will resume functioning.

Fr. Serge

R
R
Whatever happened to Bishop John Pazak of Toronto? I had heard ramblings of him going to Van Nuys.

R
R
Keep praying.

Remember that God is always at work for the good.

A question from a roman though,

What does this mean for these two eparchy's? Will this change the situations that they have been experiencing?

How do you think the Byzantine Ruthenian Church will grow now?

sam Offline
So is this confirmed?
I read this same news on a blog this morning and frankly it made my day. I also saw on the forum this morning (about an hour ago) that Mir Ti (?) posted similar information in the Church News section. I am not seeing his post now. Where did it go?
I am looking online for the source, other than one blog.

Sam

sam Offline
My apologies Job. I just reread your post.
AMEN! Kudos to St Nicholas, patron saint of our church.
Sam

D
D
Here is the source

http://212.77.1.245/news_services/press/vis/dinamiche/e5_en.htm

In Christ

Daniel CERNY
Seminarian from Slovakia

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
[quote=Stephanie Kotyuh]Here is what I found! St. Nicholas intercedes on our behalf!
Does anyone know anything about the new Bishop Dino?? [quote]

He had been pastor at my church, Holy Ghost, in Jessup, Pa. He is a very good priest.

Dn. Robert

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Hopefully he will be a good Bishop. There is quite a difference between being a good parish priest and a good governing Bishop as our church history has shown.

THE RESIGNATION OF THE BISHOP OF THE EPARCHY OF PASSAIC OF THE RUTHENIANS (USA) AND APPOINTMENT OF A SUCCESSOR

The Holy Father has accepted the resignation of the pastoral governance of the Passaic Eparchy of the Ruthenians (USA), as presented by His Excellency, Andrew Pataki, in accordance with the can. 210 � � 1-2 CCEO.

The Pope has appointed as Bishop of Passaic of Ruthenians (USA), His Excellency William C. Skurla, the Bishop of Van Nuys of the Ruthenians.

VATICAN CITY, DEC 6, 2007 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

- Appointed Bishop William C. Skurla of the eparchy of Van Nuys of the Ruthenians, U.S.A., as bishop of the eparchy of Passaic of the Ruthenians (Catholics 21,808, priests 81, permanent deacons 23, religious 32), U.S.A. He succeeds Bishop Andrew Pataki, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same eparchy the Holy Father accepted, in accordance with canon 210 para. 1 and 2 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches.

- Appointed Msgr. Gerald N. Dino, "protosyncellus" of the eparchy of Passaic of the Ruthenians, U.S.A., and pastor of the church of St. George at Linden, New Jersey, U.S.A., as bishop of the eparchy of Van Nuys of the Ruthenians (Catholics 2,863, priests 24, permanent deacons 8, religious 11), U.S.A. The bishop-elect was born in Binghamton, U.S.A. in 1940 and ordained a priest in 1965.

How many bishops are there?

Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, and Eparchies of Passaic, Parma and Van Nuys.

R
R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.