The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#273385 01/16/08 03:01 AM
OP Offline
Good Evening All:

I'm just wondering if there are fans in the Forum of program "Everybody Loves Raymond". May favorite character would have to be Georgia Engel in the role of Robert's mother-in-law. Such a kind lady, almost a modern day Edith Bunker.

Take care,

John Doucette

U
U
...Georgette, Ted Baxter's girlfriend on MTM (Mary Tyler Moore)
Show!

Ung

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
My wife loves Everybody Loves Raymond.

Although I overheard this at Brazilian Jujitsu Class:

"Man, I really hate sitcoms!" the man who was about 7 feet tall exclaimed. "Everybody Loves Raymond? Not me!" he said.

Z
Z
I never watched it.

I
I
Georgia Engel is the only reason I'd ever watch the show. I think it presents such an unflattering picture of marriage; the emasculated little boy and the domineering mother-wife.Naw.

Dear Friends,

I'm a great fan of "Raymond."

The man who played Ray's father, "Frank," was actually a former Brother of the Christian Schools who strayed away from the Church, but after his heart attack that occurred while filming an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" he returned to regular Mass and the Sacraments. He died last year.

The show contains lots of moral lessons that is rare for sit-coms.

When Ray once lost a lost of money to his father in cards, his wife and mother insisted that Frank return it to his son. Frank refused and even ridiculed Ray for being such a "baby . . ."

Then Ray simply said that his father can keep the money for "what kind of an example am I setting for my kids? That if something goes wrong I can just go to my father and he'll make it all right?"

At that, Frank stood up and tore up Ray's check. He said, with great and moving conviction, "No, you SHOULD be able to go to your father and he SHOULD be able to make everything all right . . ."

Great show.

Alex

P
P
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Dear Friends,

The man who played Ray's father, "Frank," was actually a former Brother of the Christian Schools who strayed away from the Church, but after his heart attack that occurred while filming an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" he returned to regular Mass and the Sacraments. He died last year.

Alex

Thanks, I wasn't aware of Peter "The Monster" Boyle's religious background.

Dave

I love EveryBody Loves Raymond, especially the woman who plays Raymonds mother. I think it shows an accurate picture of family life. It is just easier to laugh at it on television than when you are living it.

Peter Boyle spent 3 years as a novice of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, or De La Salle Brothers, or aka, Christian Brothers., a men's religious order of teachers.

Besides Young Frankenstein, Boyle had his first starring role in Joe.

"Everybody loves Raymond"?!?

I don't!! LOL!

Originally Posted by Alice
"Everybody loves Raymond"?!?

I don't!! LOL!

I'll second Alice--I don't love Raymond either.

P
P
I don't love Raymond either, but I watched the show sometimes just to see Peter Boyle.

What could be funnier than he and Gene Wilder singing "Puttin' on the Ritz!"????

Dave

What could be funnier than he and Gene Wilder singing "Puttin' on the Ritz!"????
Madeline Kahn singing "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life"!

C
C
It was an okay show. Peter Boyle was my reason for watching.

There were some elements I really didn't like though.

#1 - The children. Even though the show was about the Barone family the children were used almost solely as props and were rarely integral to the story. Children are, and should be, the main focus of family life when they are small. Yet there were many many episodes where you didn't even see the kids.

#2 - The men. It portrayed men in the stereotypical (and highly unflattering) role of the oafish, helpless, clueless and oft useless buffoons. I find it degrading to men and a highly unrealistic and unflattering (feminist) portrayal of men.

#3 - Marriage. It was a highly unrealistic picture of marriage somewhat glorifying manipulation and lying. It also made insulting one's spouse out to be a game rather than a very serious offense against the dignity and vocation of marriage.

Dear Friends,

I think the main problem with you guys who don't like Raymond is that you don't give the show a chance!

It is the most inspiring and moral comic shows on TV of all time.

The best the U.S. has ever produced.

But it is a comedy show and they can't all talk like bishops all the time . . .

Alex

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.