The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Halia12 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Ecumenical News International News Highlights
24 January 2008

Polish Orthodox church leader decries TV 'discrimination'

Warsaw (ENI). The head of Poland's minority Orthodox church has accused State-run television of "insults and discrimination" by giving only low-key coverage to the Orthodox Christmas which was celebrated in early January.
Orthodox Metropolitan Sawa said in a letter to Andrzej Urbanski, the chairperson of Polish television, that a shortened version of the Christmas service had been broadcast on 9 January at 7.20 a.m, when most Orthodox Christians were leaving for work or school. "Such actions by Polish television cannot be a matter of chance," the 69-year old church leader said in the 10 January letter in which he questioned the sense of broadcasting a
45-minute transmission of the 7-8 January Christmas celebration on a normal working day, almost two weeks after Roman Catholics celebrated the birth of
Jesus. [361 words, ENI-08-0065]

ENI Online - www.eni.ch [eni.ch]

F
F
I'm hardly a Polonophile, and I seldom defend the behaviour of the Roman Catholic Church in Poland. But television broadcasters are apt to take into account the numbers of viewers who are likely to watch the broadcasts - and, let's face it, the combination of Eastern Orthodox and Greek-Catholics in Poland is still not enough to attract a large proportion of TV viewers.

I owuld certainly like to see greater TV coverage, not only in Poland but in many other countries, including Ireland. This is better accomplished by patient and persistent requests.

Fr. Serge

The "discrimination," against, and, to be honest, the outright persecution of Orthodox Christians in Poland in the early 1920's was termed one of the worst episodes in the history of Christianity. Perhaps some of this feeling survivdes to this day...I am not sure that discrimination anywhere is overturned by "patient and persistent requests."

M
M
I. X. C.

As Christmas in January and Pascha usually do not conflict with those of the majority, and the minority is the indigenous faith I think the TV stations are deficient. I even think the same should be offered the local Jewish communities on their high holidays.

I don't think that is a reasonable request - if a minority group has some funds, they could buy airtime on public or private airwaves - but asking a private station to air something hardly anyone will watch seems unreasonable. For example, how many people in the US saw the funeral of Archbishop Christodoulos, even though there are millions of Orthodox here (as well as others who wished to see it)?

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.