The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#280307 02/26/08 08:05 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I remember a few months ago, that Metropolitan Basil had a letter read in every parish which warned of the vocation "crisis" in the Ruthenian Church. Last time I checked there were only about 7 men who are possible candidates for priestly ordination currently studying at the Byzantine Seminary in Pittsburgh. It would seem that the outlook is quite bleak for the Ruthenian Church in the U.S.A. Realistically, how can the church hope to function in the future without a major increase of vocations?

not to be negative, it seems to be a problem in the Ukrainian Catholic Church as well.

Mateusz #280425 02/27/08 05:38 AM
A
A
This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I have every reason to believe that a number of men who are serving as deacons at this time may be called to priesthood in the future...

And when it comes to the diaconate, the numbers have been VERY encouraging.

we need good priests and deacons. the current situation finds many priests doing more than they should. it's going to take alot of praying, and leadership to get this turned around

Mateusz #280433 02/27/08 06:23 AM
I think there are about 30 between Holy Spirit and St. Josaphat's seminaries and other institutions studying for priesthood in the UGCC in North America, and a few more in minor seminary at St. Basil's who will also likely continue on. But we certainly could use more. Several men have also been ordained to the priesthood recently in the UGCC after serving their parishes for a time as deacons, which is also a very welcome sign.

Speaking of vocations, the Vocations Retreat at St. Josaphat's will be coming up soon:
http://sjucs.org/news/retreat2008.html
FDRLB

Diak #280453 02/27/08 01:07 PM
yes I will be going to the retreat !

Mateusz #281638 03/06/08 04:15 PM
Is there still a ban on married men being ordained to the priesthood in the U.S.?

In the Ruthenian Church in the U.S. they are decided on a case by case basis. I am aware of only one married man being ordained to the priesthood in recent years (for the entire Metropolia).

There is no ban. My UGCC eparchy is probably 60% or so married clergy. Former Episcopalians and Lutherans have been ordained as Latin priests who are married.

Diak #281698 03/06/08 10:04 PM
WHAT vocations crisis?
There are plenty of young men studying for the priesthood.
It not a crisis of vocations but a crisis that the vocations have not kept pace with the growth of the Church.
Stephanos I

Last edited by Stephanos I; 03/06/08 10:04 PM.
O
O
Fr Stephanos

Some RC Seminaries in the USA are known to be bulging at the seams - but sadly that's NOT the picture world wide.

I think - I may well be wrong of course - that a lot of this is due to the 'messing about' with Liturgy in the RCC

Some RC Seminaries in the USA are known to be bulging at the seams - but sadly that's NOT the picture world wide.

I think - I may well be wrong of course - that a lot of this is due to the 'messing about' with Liturgy in the RCC

Very true. I keep getting requests for donations to the Seminary of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (one of the societies in the RCC dedicated to the Traditional Latin Mass) in Nebraska. Apparently they need money to expand because they are full and are turning away prospective students left and right every year.

Nan Offline
Hmm. Just met a seminarian from Nebraska. I'm pretty sure he was Roman Catholic. Have to ask why here and not there. I think the potential Russian deacon was local.

Anna #281983 03/08/08 10:23 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by Anna
In the Ruthenian Church in the U.S. they are decided on a case by case basis. I am aware of only one married man being ordained to the priesthood in recent years (for the entire Metropolia).

Anna,
Who decides whether a seminarian can be ordained a married man in you church? When is that decision made? Does a seminarian know that he can get married before he begins many years of study and training? If there is no certainty about being married AND ordained to the cloth, then I can see how many potential clergy will not risk it. They will go elsewhere, which is probably why there are only seven seminarians. Would anyone in their right mind gamble away years of training and theological education only to find out that they will not get ordained in the end? The risk is too high. Case by case basis? What does that mean?

Eddie

EdHash #281990 03/08/08 11:25 PM
In the Latin Church in the United States, I've been told that the seminary in Lincoln, NE, is bulging at the seams. They have no vocations crisis. Bishop Fabian Bruskewicz started that seminary. I've heard it is focused on sound theology, sound practice, sound formation, and reverent liturigcial practice. I've also heard that Abp Charles Chaput's seminary is also full and has the same type of reputation.

BOB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.