The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dr. Eric #285963 04/11/08 04:26 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
I thought Tom Cruise was fairly high up in their hierarchy. He has purchased the influence, at least.

It would not surprise me at all if there were demonic influences at play.

Terry

L Ron Hubbard was a disciple of Alestar Crowley. shocked

According to L Ron Hubbard Jr. $cientology is nothing but Black Magic strung out over decades to extort money from the masses who take their "courses."

I don't know about all that . . . but I do know he was a pulp science fiction writer in the fifties widely quoted as having said something like "if you want to get rich, start a religion." He went on to do that. From what I heard years ago, trouble with the IRS even caused him to fake his own death; though he suddenly started writing Science Fiction again afterwards.

Epiphanius #285965 04/11/08 04:29 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Epiphanius
LOL!

No, but I watch TV, and it amazes me sometimes to see people who seem to have so much money they have to go looking for things to do with it!

Peace,
Deacon Richard

If you run into any of these folks, send them my way . . . I can help them!

D
D
Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
II stopped contacting them after I read the Ron Hubbard Mission Earth series.

You read the series??? confused[hmm, no smilie with eyes popping out . . .]

Making it through a single book was rare for any non-scientologist . . .

hawk

dochawk #286215 04/14/08 04:06 AM
D
D
Apropos the Christian Scientists, Mary Baker Eddy - the founder, was in the best New England tradition of "thinkers" and 'neo-rationalists' that gave us Unitarianism.

They reason that there must be a God, but beyond that they are not sure of how God is to be understood. So, each Unitarian congregation is unto itself; and the Christian Scientists profess that God exists and that human interventions must be subordinated to God's will - i.e., no medical intervention on God's created bodies.

The Scientologists are a whole different breed of cat. (No offense to the Kitty-philes!) Considering L. Ron Hubbard's history of science fiction writings, the construct of their 'religion', with it's enneagrams, 'clearings' and steps of 'enlightenment' based upon education with specific 'tuitions' seems to be nothing more than a framework of illusions. It's much like the Romany palm-readers. Give me money, I'll tell you what you need to know. Their use of the tre-foil cross as their emblem infuriates me - they have NOTHING whatsoever to do with Christianity. (Same with the Mormons' "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" which is based upon now-lost golden tablets discovered in a cave in upstate New York that constitute the basis of the Book of Mormon. Upstate New York? Give me a total break!!)

Although the Mormons have at least a soupcon of legitimacy since they adhere to the Gospel mandates of love God and love one's neighbor (as do the Christian Scientists), the Scientologists are like Blizzard Corporation's "World of Warcraft" - a totally constructed world with serious financial implications and no moral code or acknowledgement of God (however one may determine the Divinity to be!).

That people like T. Cruise and others find this to be spiritually satisfying is more an indictment of their intellectual abilities than a validation of its truthfulness.

As I am fond of pointing out, the Lord foretold us of the poor in our lives and our need to serve them; he never mentioned the crazies - and they generally represent a greater challenge. [Perhaps we should just kill them and be done with it? :-) ]

Dr John

Dr John #286221 04/14/08 06:04 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Dr John
Upstate New York? Give me a total break!!)

My dear brother,

I almost fell off the chair laughing when I read that. Interestingly, I had occasion this past year to wander through Palmyra (I needed sustenance and it was the nearest town of any size) and was sorely tempted to visit the Hill Cumorah, as I passed by the Visitor Center - but time wasn't on my side.

Back to your observation about upstate NY though - the "Burned Over District" certainly did produce more than its share of offbeat religious communities and personalities. I've heard it suggested that the absolute lack of much else to do, other than watch the cows chew their cud and wait for June (to watch the snow finally melt), had much to do with the phenomenon.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
dochawk #286238 04/14/08 01:27 PM
I don't remember what I found fascinating about it. I read it as science fiction. I compared it with what I read of Arthur C. Clarke. That was also a point in my life when I read other questionable fiction, such as some Stephen King--I looked at one of those books a month ago, flipped through it, then threw it away. I don't usually throw away books, but that one was junk and I didn't want to contribute to corrupting the imagination of any reader who would buy it at a Half-Price Bookstore.

It wasn't until a year later that I discovered Tolstoy, Melville, Homer, and Plato. Those weren't required reading at the school and I used them as a break from the fiction they passed out which disappointed me. One bad book I remembered hating was about a youth who attempted suicide. The author took us through his recovery to the point of him being intimate with some girl, and that was supposed to be the best moment of his life. It was to show us that he will recover and be okay.

Terry

Dr John #286241 04/14/08 01:57 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Don't tempt the Germans please grin!

[Perhaps we should just kill them and be done with it? :-) ]

Wolfgang #286272 04/14/08 08:02 PM
A
A
Everything I know about scientologists and Mormons I learned from South Park... and apparently, South Park was remarkably accurate in both regards.

speaking of Germans and going a bit off topic: I am happy to report that I will be seeing the Pope on Thursday at his Mass at the new Nationals Stadium!

Annie_SFO #286416 04/16/08 02:25 AM
D
D
That's great. Don't have ANYTHING metal on your person. The Secret Service (initials: SS - hmmm) and the Homeland Security folks are not 'citizen friendly'. (I live across the street from the Homeland Security folks. My phone 'clicks' a lot.)

Otherwise, have a wonderful and blessed visit!!

Dr John

Wolfgang #286419 04/16/08 02:37 AM
I am always saddened when I see Tom Cruise, a baptized Catholic, and one time "14 year old Franciscan seminary student" considered "sensitive and deeply religious"... This is from the IMDB bio, although I have come across this information in other places as well...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.