The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Originally Posted by Alice
LORD HAVE MERCY!!!!

Listening to Handel's Messiah, or the Ava Maria, or Russian choral church music...one cannot help but be brought to tears by the amazing Holy Spirit filled beauty of worship and praise which has been inspired to men through the ages by our faith and love in our Lord Jesus Christ....

Individuals of Islam have been granted little or none of these same heavenly graces.

I wish that the whole of Christendom (despite our differences) would stop fighting each other and rejoice in the beauty of our faith through the ages in Jesus Christ--rejoice and appreciate it through worship--before it is too late.

Kyrie Eleison! Kyrie Eleison! Kyrie Eleison!

Amen. Preach it sister! smile

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Where the Bishop is, there is the Catholic Church.

Islam can never destroy the Church as long one Bishop is alive.

Originally Posted by francis
I think it is very plausible that Rome, the city, will be conquered by Islam. With the veritable Islam invasion of Europe, and the lack of conviction in resisting it (along with the lack of Christian Faith in Europe today), I don't see why it would be any more immune than Constantinople was.

Of course, the fall of Rome, the city, to Islam does not mean the same thing as the fall of Rome, the seat of Peter.

I
I
Would a Rc-Orthodoxy union change anything?

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Prayer will change everything.

Prayer can convert the heathen.

Prayer can unite the churches too.

Maybe we can start by encouraging the singing of the Akathist Hymn.

Some parishes have a weekly Parakleisis every Wednesday

D
D
The Lord told us to "love your enemies; do good to those that hate you."

The Greeks have a saying: "love your enemies, but don't turn your backs to them".

While prayer is certainly efficacious, we need to ensure that whatever privileges are afforded to the Mohammedans, we should be sure that Christians take full advantage of the same and equal privileges in the U.S. (and elsewhere).

While there is no need to do anything like the "Crusades" again - it destroyed much of the Chrisian East - we should be sure to defend the rights and privileges of the Christian community.

This means being highly visible as the community that does good to society in general. If there is a problem, the Christian community should respond and make sure that the good deeds are marked as the Christian community's response to the problem. The Islamics don't generally have this sense of obligation except to their own, so our public witness to the Gospel of Christ will witness to our obedience to the Gospel of Christ as it pertains to the community as a whole.

Blessings to All!

Dr John

At the end of every Mass, I pray: Our Lady of Victory and the people respond: pray for us!
Will she, our Mother not hear us?
Stephanos I

K
K
Originally Posted by Ray S.
Hamas Cleric Predicts 'Rome Will Be Conquered by Islam' [foxnews.com]
A sermon last Friday by a prominent Muslim cleric and Hamas member of the Palestinian parliament openly declared that "the capital of the Catholics, or the Crusader capital," would soon be conquered by Islam.

"Very soon, Allah willing, Rome will be conquered, just like Constantinople was, as was prophesized by our prophet Muhammad," he added.

St. Michael the Archangel defend us in battle!

Let�s remember, that after all the Archbishop of New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch still sits at his cathedra in Istambul...

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
Off topic but interesting anecdote.

I teach ESL and most of my one class is Saudi/Turkish/Korean. We had a reading comprehension exercise on the development of Slavic Orthodox Chant and the tones -- I had nothing to do with this, it was in the book! Anyway, the word "Byzantine" is used a bunch, and no one in the class had any clue what it meant. or what chant was. or choir -- I was kind of mad at them, because they're rather advanced students, but I guess a word like "choir" can slip through the vocab lessons.

Anyway, I explained how Byzantine comes from the name of an ancient Greek city on the Bosporus. No luck there. I then said it's name was Constantinople. Nothing. The Turkish girl looked at me blankly. Then I wrote "Istanbul" and they were ALL like: Istanbul was a Christian city once?

Then again, they also thought the Crusades took place during Shakespeare's life.

What do they teach these kids? I guess that you teach the history that you need to indoctrinate properly.

The point being, the education in Islamic countries is very selective -- I've seen transcripts from Saudi Arabia and it's all "koran 1" "koran 2" "history of islam" "prophet mohammed" etc. Maybe one class is "math". no history, no geometry, not even "arabic literature" (I guess that's covered by "koran 1 & 2"). They do get some specialization in the university, but I don't think many are educated in history or world politics at all.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by Dr John
The Lord told us to "love your enemies; do good to those that hate you."
[...]
This means being highly visible as the community that does good to society in general. If there is a problem, the Christian community should respond and make sure that the good deeds are marked as the Christian community's response to the problem. The Islamics don't generally have this sense of obligation except to their own, so our public witness to the Gospel of Christ will witness to our obedience to the Gospel of Christ as it pertains to the community as a whole.
Dr. John,

This seems like an excellent program to ensure the victory of Christianity over Islam! grin

The biggest "draw" of any religion is the degree of enthusiasm with which its adherents embrace it. In other words, people join Islam primarily because they see people who are committed to what they believe in, but the same people might just as easily choose Christianity if they saw that same degree of commitment.

Conversely, people are repelled by anything that smacks of hypocrisy, which gives Islam an edge since it's easier to follow. We Christians, on the other hand, have to deal with such rules as "love your enemies," "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength," and "be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect." This is a rather tall order, which unfortunately causes many of us not to take it all that seriously. frown

Assuming, however, that both Christians and Muslims follow their own programs faithfully, Christianity has to win out, since people will see, as you say, that:
Originally Posted by Dr John
... our public witness to the Gospel of Christ will witness to our obedience to the Gospel of Christ as it pertains to the community as a whole.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

C
C
Originally Posted by francis
I think it is very plausible that Rome, the city, will be conquered by Islam. With the veritable Islam invasion of Europe, and the lack of conviction in resisting it (along with the lack of Christian Faith in Europe today), I don't see why it would be any more immune than Constantinople was.

Of course, the fall of Rome, the city, to Islam does not mean the same thing as the fall of Rome, the seat of Peter.

I agree Francis. As a matter of fact a friend of mine and I were talking about this and came to the question: are we western (geographically speaking) going to re-evangelize the east? We must pray and educate fellow Christians around us, Europe is falling, secularism and new age are the new Islam of today and it will conquer. However, the Church of Christ, NEVER, evil will not prevail.

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Maria
Originally Posted by Alice
LORD HAVE MERCY!!!!

Listening to Handel's Messiah, or the Ava Maria, or Russian choral church music...one cannot help but be brought to tears by the amazing Holy Spirit filled beauty of worship and praise which has been inspired to men through the ages by our faith and love in our Lord Jesus Christ....

Individuals of Islam have been granted little or none of these same heavenly graces.

I wish that the whole of Christendom (despite our differences) would stop fighting each other and rejoice in the beauty of our faith through the ages in Jesus Christ--rejoice and appreciate it through worship--before it is too late.

Kyrie Eleison! Kyrie Eleison! Kyrie Eleison!

Amen. Preach it sister! smile

AMEN! Sister!Ms. Alice knows what time it is.
rest assured that if the Muslims take over, the only way you'll be able to hear any of that beautiful music, or any other music for that matter, will be in your closet with the door closed. when the Taliban turned Afghanistan into a medieval nightmare, ALL music was outlawed, except for that infernal moaning from the minarets.
Much Love,
Jonn

S
sfo Offline
S
What scares me is what terrorists could do to Rome or Assisi.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.