The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 361 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
X. B!
C. I. X!

Why? The spirit of the law is lost with this exaggeration to keep the letter. What is the alternative if a big cup is not available? Multiple altars for tandem consecrations per Liturgy? Multiple temples otherwise empty for a one a day spiritual vitamin? Almost like a lost chapter from GULLIVER�S TRAVELS. If there was to be a Divine Liturgy at Yankee Stadium how many gallon cup would you suggest? Would a truck in the Entrance be acceptable? Putting a moratorium on the number of participants at a Eucharist would be more realistic. Yah, limit the number who can worship... or was that already done "Two or three".

Don�t say I�m irreverent nor complain President Bush manipulates executive powers. Honestly WWJD? (what would Jesus do?)

A
A
Originally Posted by Prester John
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
I prefer to consecrate the Precious Blood in as many chalices as are needed

What happened to one bread, one cup? Is this common in the Eastern Catholic churches? We're not permitted to do this at all!

Whose "we"?

I am guessing you are not Greek? As Father alluded:

The Greeks and others are not so scrupulous in the matter; if they expect many to Holy Communion, they will simply put a suitable amount of wine in a suitable number of chalices (with a few drops of water in each, of course), and carry them all in the Great Entrance, taking care to set each one directly on the �ntimension.

For the members of the Russian Church:

Where/how does one store such an extraordinary large chalice and diskos? and how/where does purification take place?

Another thought which came to mind - Instead of using a ladle, has the creation of a spigoted or spouted chalice been considered?

M
M
X. B.
C. I. X!
My recent thought is what does one use for a lance, a lance?

Mykhayl #287902 05/03/08 06:13 AM
M
M
P. S.
What to use for the air (vale)? The Good Friday plachanytcha (shroud)?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut
I suppose that it is possible. However, I've seen it done many times at Hierarchal Liturgies and it is done very, very carefully and I've not seen a single drop spilled ever. I must say that Orthodox seem to be much more careful of profaning the Body and Blood of Christ than do typical Roman Catholics in America. This is my own observation. I'm sure it's different in the Philippines and elsewhere in the Catholic world.

Fr David Straut

Wish it were different in my country, but alas, no.

F
F
Prester John writes:
We're not permitted to do this at all!

Obedience is an important virtue, and nowhere else so much as in matters concerning the Eucharist. So by all means do as the Bishop requires. And please respect those who also do as their Bishops direct, even though this may result in a different practice.

Christ is Risen!

Fr. Serge

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by ebed melech
Now you why the Russian Church only has either basso-profundo deacons or tenors. After carrying around a chalice like that, I would think the deacon would be a tenor for a while until after the hernia operation. Also no one in the photo has a lean girth. Maybe if one has to take the sacraments like that on a regular basis, one's girth would be expanded. biggrin

O
O
SS

You never spoke a truer word biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

And I believe that the clergy present could be described traditionally as ' healthy ' biggrin

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Also, I hope no deacon is driving for a few hours after doing the ablutions on that chalice!

O
O
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm now there you have a very very good point smile

Mykhayl #287926 05/03/08 01:54 PM
Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by Mykhayl
X. B.
C. I. X!
My recent thought is what does one use for a lance, a lance?
A blessed chain saw with a three-bar cross on it? Can you imagine being in the congregation during proskomedie when you hear the holy chain saw being revved up? It might put a tad bit of a damper on that prayerful moment.

U
U
Is it real or Photo Shop?

X.B.! B.B.!

Ung

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Is it real or Photo Shop?

X.B.! B.B.!

Ung
Definitely the real thing

F
F
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Also no one is the photo has a lean girth. Maybe if one has to take the sacraments like that on a regular basis, one's girth would be expanded. biggrin
Having some knowledge of the Bishops involved, I would say that Archbishop Kyrill of San Francisco (the Hierarch on the extreme right) is a thin man.

Fr David Straut (of wide Archpriestly girth)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.