The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Bridging Heaven and Earth" is a very nice one. The tagline has a very "pop-culture" feel to it and is definitely something I would use.

"The Ladder to Heaven" is also very nice. But I keep getting the feeling that it will end up being the successor to a very successful rock song. biggrin

A
A
Originally Posted by Mike L.
Originally Posted by Krotoski
As many of you already know, our brother Gordo has a website full of things we can use to evangelize here: http://www.cafepress.com/churchgeek/4075351

I did not know that this website belongs to a member of this forum.

Gordo, can you do custom orders? Feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Mike

Our brother Gordo/ebed melech, in case you missed it, is now Fr. Dcn. Daniel and should be addressed as such the Byzantine way?

Amado

Mike L. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Amadeus
I did not know that this website belongs to a member of this forum.

Gordo, can you do custom orders? Feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Mike

Our brother Gordo/ebed melech, in case you missed it, is now Fr. Dcn. Daniel and should be addressed as such the Byzantine way?

Amado

Of course I did not know, or else I would have addressed him that way.

M
M
C. I. X.

Orthodox Catholics,

or

Catholic Orthodox.

Then again;

Western in diversity (liberty),
Eastern in mysticism,
Catholic in brotherhood,
Orthodox in belief,
Christian in love.

Don't worry, be happy -- pray with us!

R
R
With all due respect Mike L., I think there is an issue with the objective and priorities as stated in your opening post.

I think one should be fundamentally oriented to evangelizing for the Catholic faith, not placing dubious emphasis on one particular rite or form of nominal expressions or trappings of the faith. There is no 'Byzantine faith', as you alluded to, only a Catholic faith.

When one pursues evangelizing with the mindset of a 'Byzantine faith', I fear that such a viewpoint leads to the inordinate emphasis of certain forms and expressions, often at the expense of the immutable, normative, substance of faith, which all Catholics are to hold to as an exact common faith shared in common.

Evangelizing for a common Catholic faith whose fruits may lead people to enter Roman Latin Catholicism or Maronite Catholicism should not be seen as counterproductive.

Best,
Robster

R
R
ItalianPapist,

My understanding is that, in accordance with canonical norms, anybody from a Protestant background whose is evangelized and chooses to convert to Catholicism is to be received into the Roman Latin church, just as I, who was baptized Eastern Orthodox, was received into the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic church upon my conversion to Catholicism.

Best,
Robster

Originally Posted by robster
ItalianPapist,

My understanding is that, in accordance with canonical norms, anybody from a Protestant background whose is evangelized and chooses to convert to Catholicism is to be received into the Roman Latin church, just as I, who was baptized Eastern Orthodox, was received into the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic church upon my conversion to Catholicism.

Best,
Robster

Shlomo Robster,

That is no longer true. When a Protestant, or non-Christian does convert they can join any of the the Catholic Churches they choose. They are not automatically in rolled into the Roman Church.

Poosh BaShlomo,
Yuhannon

R
R
ItalianPapist,

My understanding is that, in accordance with canonical norms, anybody from a Protestant background whose is evangelized and chooses to convert to Catholicism is to be received into the Roman Latin church,...

This may have been true in the past, but as of 1984 it is not. I was baptized Lutheran and was received into the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic Church when I converted to Catholicism in 1984, on my wedding day.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Regretably, as recently discussed on another thread, the interpretation placed on one of the Canons (I'm too tired to hunt up the citation at the moment) by Latin canonists is precisely that - any baptized Western Christian (Protestant, PNCC, Old Catholic) who is received into the Catholic Church is to be received as a Latin.

Now, that particularly narrow legalistic stance is often overlooked or outright ignored - and rightfully so, in my virtually never humble opinion - by priests of the Eastern and Oriental Catholic Churches. And, quite frankly, in almost all instances, the fact that such is done is of no practical consequence except/unless the person so received subsequently seeks to enter Holy Orders. Such instances then necessite, inevitably, the untangling of the situation, the pursuit of formalities relative to canonical enrollment, etc.

It has been noted in a few cases that it can be problematic in the case of contracting marriage or admitting one's children to the Mysteries. I won't deny that it can become a head-butting contest in those instances, if the circumstances are such that the convert has to become involved with the Latin Church at those times - e.g., marrying a Latin or seeking the Mysteries of Baptism, Chrismation, and the Eucharist for their child in a Latin setting because there are no Eastern/Oriental parishes in the area.

My advice in the latter circumstances - hie thee off to the nearest such - regardless of how long the drive. You may not be able to attend there regularly, it may not even be of your own particular Church, but - unless the presbyter is himself hung up on the Latin view - it will make life easier in most instances. In the former, "don't marry Latins" seems a bit extreme, so my advice there is to emphasize your Eastern/Oriental identity and downplay from whence you came to it (I know, I know, you have to prove your baptism, which makes that near impossible - so instead pray to encounter a Latin priest who has no such hangup and is under the jurisdiction of a hierarch of like persuasion.)

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Mike L. Offline OP
OP Offline
With all due respect Mike L., I think there is an issue with the objective and priorities as stated in your opening post.

I think one should be fundamentally oriented to evangelizing for the Catholic faith, not placing dubious emphasis on one particular rite or form of nominal expressions or trappings of the faith. There is no 'Byzantine faith', as you alluded to, only a Catholic faith.

When one pursues evangelizing with the mindset of a 'Byzantine faith', I fear that such a viewpoint leads to the inordinate emphasis of certain forms and expressions, often at the expense of the immutable, normative, substance of faith, which all Catholics are to hold to as an exact common faith shared in common.

Evangelizing for a common Catholic faith whose fruits may lead people to enter Roman Latin Catholicism or Maronite Catholicism should not be seen as counterproductive.

Best,
Robster

Robster,

Are you suggesting that the Byzantine Catholic Church can not evangelize based on its Eastern sprituality? Are we suppose to ignore the differences between the Byzantine and Roman Catholic Churches? We do have different liturgical and spiritual expressions. Let us promote our rite of the Church based upon our expression of the Catholic Faith - the Byzantine Faith. By the way, if the Byzantine Church grows the Catholic community grows.

Mike Lillie

Mike Lillie sir,

I agree with everything you have said. But to boot, there isn't really a "Byzantine faith", only a "Catholic faith". To suggest that there is a "Byzantine faith" would only seek to subdue the Byzantine stakes in the Catholic communion i.e. we will merely be seen as an "alternative" rather than a full-on expression of the Catholic faith.

Mike L. Offline OP
OP Offline
When I say "Byzantine Faith" I mean the "Byzantine Catholic Faith." This is to distinguish it from the Roman Catholicism. If we generalize and call it the "Catholic Faith," too many people would assume we are speaking of Roman Catholicism.

Mike Lillie

H
H
When I say "Byzantine Faith" I mean the "Byzantine Catholic Faith." This is to distinguish it from the Roman Catholicism.

Why confuse the issue? Why don't you just use the historical terminology and either "Eastern Catholic" or "Greek Catholic"?

Mike L. Offline OP
OP Offline
That would be historically accurate, but "Byzantine Catholic" is the term used in our parishes today.

The following is from Basil Shereghy's Book "The Byzantine Catholics".

"Greek Catholics"

Since 1773 the non-Roman Rite Catholics of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was officially known as Greek Catholics. This designation was seemingly a pragmatic solution to distinguish those involved from the Latin Catholics. This denotation, evidently, intended to indicate that the Church which Christianized the non Latin Catholics was Greek in language and culture. It was generally accepted that, in the Catholic Church, in opposition to the Roman Rite members, there are also members of the Greek Rite.

Neither the Slavs, nor the Hungarians, nor the Rumanians - who are by no means Greeks - had any objection to this new designation of their rite. They simply did not make an issue of it. After all, in the Roman Rite Church all members, regardless of nationality, were called Latins or Romans.

"Eastern Catholics"

When after the 1880's "Greek Catholic" immigrants began to arrive in the United States, they retained the appellation "Greek Catholic" for their religious identity. Their newly established parishes were called Greek Catholic parishes and their largest Fraternal Organization was named the Greek Catholic Union. Soon, however, certain problems arose regarding the nationality of the Greek Catholics. The average American considered Greek Catholics to be Greek nationals. Often lengthy explanations were necessary to clarify the religious and national identity of these people.

In order to eliminate further misunderstanding, the adjective "Greek" was replaced by "Eastern". This new designation initially had some appeal, but soon proved itself inadequate, too vague and too indefinite.

If we closely scrutinize the word "Eastern", we arrive at the conclusion that the term "Eastern Rite" is too broad for the identification of a specific rite. The word itself is a historical and geographical term. It is a collective term which designates the populations, languages and cultures proper to the Eastern countries, both in the Far East and the Near East. Some of these countries had little in common with the religious and cultural development of East European Christians. Egypt, for example, was Coptic to its very soul. Syria, Mesopotamia and Persia used the Syrian language, later replaced by Arabic. All these nations, with their particular cultures and modes of life, were united only loosely by the term "Eastern", which cannot be applied to them in our particular concept.

Some writers used the adjective "Oriental", borrowing it from official Vatican (Latin) documents, but without any success. The term "Oriental" refers rather to the Far East.

Byzantine Rite

Around 1945, a new appellation was introduced to identify the "Greek" or "Eastern" rite. Some of their leading churchmen and writers began to call it the Byzantine rite. When in 1949, Bishop Daniel lvancho named the newly established Seminary of SS. Cyril and Methodius, "The Byzantine Catholic Seminary" this new designation became accepted and approved.

In order to specify more accurately the term "Byzantine", a new adjective was added "Slavonic". This new modification helped to clarify, to some extent, the religious identity, but created a new problem as well. Not all the members of the Pittsburgh Diocese were Slavs; i.e., Ruthenians, and Croatians. There were also a good number of Hungarians - who are not Slavs - so in order not to create a national problem, the adjective "Slavonic" fell into oblivion. At that time the English Liturgy was being introduced and it gave another reason why the qualification "Slavonic" became impractical.

Perhaps "Byzantine" is not the best possible and the most expressive name for the religious and ritual identification of the members of the Pittsburgh Metropolia but, at least, it is as correct as Greek or Eastern, if not better. It achieved one important objective: today no one else is identified by that name, but the members of the Metropolitan Province of Pittsburgh. In addition, this term does not offend the national feelings of any member of the Metropolia. What Is Byzantine?

What is Byzantine?

Ever since the last Christian Emperor, Constantine XI. Paleologos, died heroically defending the city in which Christ was officially the "Basileos", some historians, especially the French Encyclopedists, tried to create an aura of "disgust and horror" around what is known as Byzantine. Under their influence, many shied away from its use. In the 19th and 20th centuries, however, Byzantium was vindicated and rehabilitated. The meticulous works of hundreds of scholars, philologists, historians and archeologists restored the luster and brilliance of the Byzantine Empire.

Byzantium was "the kingdom of Christ on earth". Its cultural achievements in many aspects compare favorably with any that history has to offer. The Eastern Slavs in particular owe virtually all their past to Byzantium. It "molded the undisciplined tribes of Serbs, Bulgars, Russians, Croats and made nations out of them; it gave to them its religion and institutions, taught their princes how to govern, transmitted to them the very principles of civilization writing and literature" (Dvornik: Les Slaves, Byzance et Rome au IX siecle, p.11).

In this great empire many people: Greek, Romans, Slavs, Armenians, Arabs and Easterners lived side by side, grew to know one another, formed one nation under God, accepting the rule of Christ and thus creating a new culture, a Byzantine and Christian culture. It was something like America today: a melting-pot of many cultures, nationalities, traditions and languages. The great difference: it was Christian, to its very heart.

The Byzantine missionaries carried Christianity to many corners of the world. To all with whom they came into contact the Byzantines brought religion, law and culture. The Byzantines established their churches and schools. Their artists decorated churches and palaces, their scholars translated the most brilliant works of Byzantine literature. Even the center and pride of the spiritual life, the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, is of Byzantine development. All this enormous spiritual and cultural wealth was brought to the Slavic peoples by SS. Cyril and Methodius.

Were these two holy brothers, the evangelizers of the Slavs, true Greeks, or were they immigrants, or descendants of immigrants? We do not know. But they were Byzantines who transplanted to the lands of the Slavs what was the greatest and noblest in Byzantium.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.