The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 339 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,402
Posts416,796
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by dochawk
... our courts would never permit the forms of execution used on an unborn child to be used on a murderer ... frown
That's a chilling thought! shocked

Then again, how many doctors have tried to argue that a baby's nervous system is not developed sufficiently for them to feel pain? crazy

D
D
Awarding the degree does, though, indicate that the university found him worthy of the honor of that particular degree.

hawk

L
L
Interesting news. The Diocese of Orlando is having a Mass of Reparation [wdtprs.com] for Notre Dame.

Alexis

Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
There is a university which has or is doing that, the University of Arizona. http://www.azcentral.com/sports/heatindex/articles/2009/04/12/20090412spt-p2young.html But two separate committees are in charge of the speaker and honorary degree.

They denied the degree for the very apt reason of lack of experience.

Terry

Please re-read the article. The President is speaking at ASU not U of A. U of A invited the inventor of the Segway. My daughter, a graduating senior at U of A, was ROFLOL when she told me the identity of their commencement speaker.

P
P
Originally Posted by Tim
If Christ could share a table with sinners, and share the Eucharist itself with His betrayer, might not we, his sinful followers, share a platform with a man who has taken on the task of leading our Nation in these difficult times, even if he has espoused views with which we may profoundly disagree?

Our Lord didn't bestow honors on sinners as much as accept them and tell them to "sin no more." Rather a big difference, wouldn't you say?

Grateful
Grateful
You conservatives are amazing. Ostensibly you are still upset that Barrack Obama will be speaking at Notre Dame university because he is pro-choice. In reality, you are still upset that you lost the 2008 election.

You still don't seem to understand. Maybe you will understand in time for the 2012 election. Probably not, but hope springs eternal.

To that end, consider this:

You lost.

You lost the last American national election, in 2008, because you are a bunch of single-issue voters and religious fanatics on abortion. The rest of the country doesn't agree with you, or doesn't care; and so they voted for someone else. If you ever want to *win* an election again, you will have to appeal to other people than just yourselves. And that means you will have to care about more types of people than just the fetus.

Conservative theology ? Fine.

Conservative angst, hate, and exclusion? You will just continue to repel prospective allies and prospective voters.

-- John

L
L
This is about Catholic doctrine, not about Democrats and Republicans. Otherwise, I as a Norwegian wouldn't care one bit!

J
J
Originally Posted by harmon3110
You conservatives are amazing. Ostensibly you are still upset that Barrack Obama will be speaking at Notre Dame university because he is pro-choice. In reality, you are still upset that you lost the 2008 election.

You still don't seem to understand. Maybe you will understand in time for the 2012 election. Probably not, but hope springs eternal.

To that end, consider this:

You lost.

You lost the last American national election, in 2008, because you are a bunch of single-issue voters and religious fanatics on abortion. The rest of the country doesn't agree with you, or doesn't care; and so they voted for someone else. If you ever want to *win* an election again, you will have to appeal to other people than just yourselves. And that means you will have to care about more types of people than just the fetus.

Conservative theology ? Fine.

Conservative angst, hate, and exclusion? You will just continue to repel prospective allies and prospective voters.

-- John

John, you are right. They should all watch the following:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/#30143781

It reinforces your comment:

General Archibald Murray, in the movie Lawrence of Arabia, called the Arabian campaign a side show of a sideshow and that the real show was the war in Europe. Chris Cilizza, in the msnbc piece, rightly calls this Notre Dame issue the same sort of thing.

Last edited by johnzonaras; 04/21/09 04:15 PM.
L
L
So what would the two Johns say to me, someone who was (and largely still is!) in favor of Barack Obama during the election, but also a person who is TOTALLY against his being honored at Notre Dame?

I guess I don't fit into your little preconceived categories, huh?

Oops.

And although I do agree with you that lots of political conservatives and Republicans (neither of which I ever have been, and doubt very much I will ever be) are simply sore losers, just because someone cares about the lives of the unborn does not mean he is a religious fanatic.

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 04/21/09 05:26 PM.
Dear Alexis,

I am honestly and respectfully curious...since you don't fit into the category in many ways, (as an attorney you will probably be in the tax bracket that gets taxed higher), and as a Catholic you are conservative on moral issues, so what makes you so in favor of the Democratic party? Is it this one candidate, or would it be any Democrat?

Thanks. smile

Alice, who looks forward to your post. smile

ajk Offline

Originally Posted by johnzonaras
...You lost the last American national election, in 2008, because you are a bunch of single-issue voters and religious fanatics on abortion...you will have to care about more types of people than just the fetus...
-- John
John, you are right... your comment:

General Archibald Murray, in the movie Lawrence of Arabia, called the Arabian campaign a side show of a sideshow and that the real show was the war in Europe. Chris Cilizza, in the msnbc piece, rightly calls this Notre Dame issue the same sort of thing.

Some comments:

1. The insinuation of "religious fanatics on abortion" is itself on the level of rhetorical fanaticism against those with a legitimate, opposing view. Just keep shouting it often and louder, and people will believe it and agree and join in, the substance of the issue, abortion, thereby being effectively ignored. It is simply a demeaning remark but since it's "media-correct" it is very "say-able" and effective.

2.The insinuation "you will have to care about more types of people than just the fetus" is another caricaturization, as though caring about the "fetus" automatically implies one cares about no one else. As a rhetorical device, it is just another deplorable form of manipulation, deception and, yes, discrimination -- a conveniently uttered falsehood masquerading as fact.

3. The "single-issue voters" slur is hurled very effectively by those who have same, similar, and even more zealotry for their own single issue, which they are just better able to keep hidden. The problem is not really that it's a single issue, only that it is not THEIR single issue, or an issue THEY support.

4. Odd then that there isn't a movie "General Archibald Murray of Arabia." I've heard of Lawrence, had to look Murray up. According to one source:
He was known and criticized for his indecisive character and was not particularly well-liked by his men, largely because he ran his campaign more often than not by remote control from Cairo, rather than the field.
link [en.wikipedia.org] The so-called "side show" seems to have had an enduring message.

5. The words of Henry Clay, "I'd rather be right than be President!", came to mind, which I found included in this interesting context:
Clay himself failed to connect to the people, partly because of his unpopular views on slavery and the American System in the South. When Clay was warned not to take a stance against slavery or be so strong for the American System, he was quoted as saying, "I'd rather be right than be President!" This remark has been quoted or paraphrased by several presidential candidates since, as a statement of principle over ambition.
link [en.wikipedia.org]
Never president, "principle over ambition", unpopular "stance against slavery", not an "If you ever want to *win* an election again, you will have to appeal to other people than just yourselves" approach. But right on the issue, slavery, so that one day a person of color could even be elected President.

John
John
ajk (Deacon Tony) has spoken in truth and with eloquently.

As administrator I generally do not wish to post harshly but both harmon3110 and jonhzonaras (and a few others) are far from both Christian Teaching and logic in what they have posted. I invite them to re-examine the important things and to study what the Church teaches on these issues.

...You lost the last American national election, in 2008, because you are a bunch of single-issue voters and religious fanatics on abortion...you will have to care about more types of people than just the fetus...
-- John
So the Lord has taught us that “Thou shalt not murder” and you consider His Commandments to be nothing but religious fanaticism? How long have you believed this about Christ and His Teachings? Why do you reject them? And do you realize you put your eternal salvation at risk (as well as the lives of the people murdered because you will not stand up for them) when you reject them?

But then there is the illogical point of your post. You say we need to care about more types of people then just the fetus? Firstly, we do. And to say we do not is to accuse falsely. Secondly, of what use are any other rights if one does not have the right to life? Can you please provide a detailed, enumerated list of things that are worth the price of 40 million lives killed from abortion? I ask this and require this question to be addressed in your very next post on this forum.

We serve Christ first.

Thank you Administrator,
I was about to ask them to question if they were even Christian at all. But then again I would probably be shot down as one of those "fanatics". Im glad you took them to task.
Again thank you.
Stephanos I

L
L
Alice,

Good question!

Rightly or wrongly, before the election I really did believe that the numbers of abortions under a Republican president wouldn't be lower than under a Democratic one. Even under eight years of Bush, states still don't have the right to decide for themselves, much less is abortion outlawed. The small incremental advancements that were made toward embryonic stem-cells, etc. to me did not necessarily outnumber the lives that could be lost if we engaged in more unnecessary wars (just my opinion). There was also no guarantee that John McCain would keep those laws intact, and I did fear that he might get us involved in another war.

I'm sure plenty of people have found much to disagree with me about in terms of the paragraph above. But I think when one considers the state of things, and of history, I'm just not sure the leadership in either party is really committed to outlawing abortion, or even giving the decision back to the states. With six years of a Republican Congress and President behind us, we still have about the same numbers of abortion occuring yearly. And with a war that has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, in my view unnecessarily.

As far as the tax bracket stuff, I don't consider it at all. Both my parents, through their own hard work and determination (putting themselves through college and law school, building successful self-owned law firms and making intelligent real estate ventures), have built a very comfortable lifestyle for themselves and are in the top tax bracket, but nevertheless are fiscally liberal because in their eyes (and in mine), they have enough, and there are so many people who have so little, through no fault of their own. Yes, my parents give a *lot* of their time and money to charity as well, and if they get taxed a bit more, honestly what's the big deal?

My mother is also of the mindset that the disappearance of a strong middle class and the widening gap between the very rich and very poor is a recipe for Revolution (cf. the French one!). I tend to agree with that to a certain extent.

The fact is that lots of people are poor because they are lazy, and they rely on food stamps and government handouts...no denying that! But I think the facts have also clearly demonstrated that there are many out there who work hard, often two or three jobs, try their best to support their families, do all the "right things," and still barely scrape by, or not at all. And the existence of even one person like that, much less millions, to me justifies taxing the very rich at higher percentages.

I don't really buy the argument that by taxing the very rich at higher rates, that there charitable donations will go down, or go down so much as to offset the higher taxes.

So, Alice, that is probably a scatterbrained response, but there it is!

Please, no one bite my head off! wink

Alexis

Dear Alexis,

Christ is Risen!

Thank you for your response. I won't bite off your head. I honestly cared to understand.

Be well,
Alice

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.