The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#322599 05/21/09 04:32 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Father Deacon Daniel (with the cool kamilavka) used an Ascension Greeting that I like (but have never heard before), viz.:

Christ is Ascended!

Rx: For our Salvation!

We've always just gone back to "Slava Isusu Khrystu!"
or for the more Vostochnyy
"Z Praznykom!"

What's everyone else's experience?

Z Praznykom!

Herb

O
O
Somewhere in the depths of Byzcath there is a thread on Seasonal Greetings - but sadly the search facility and I just do NOT get on frown

Perhaps someone much more clever than me can locate it ?

A
A
Back to "Slava Isusu Christu!" / "Slava tebi!"

T
T
Slave Isusu Christu! (Glory Be to Jesus Christ!)
Slava Na Viki! (GLory Be Forever!)

That's what we normally do on Ascention Thursday. But I really like the greeting mentioned above. Christ is Ascended! For Our Salvation! That's great.

Tim

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
Somewhere in the depths of Byzcath there is a thread on Seasonal Greetings - but sadly the search facility and I just do NOT get on frown

Perhaps someone much more clever than me can locate it ?

Anhelynha,

Not sure that we have a generic seasonal greeting thread, but - if you think there is one - I'll see if I can locate it. Of late, I've been trying to pull the most seasonally specific threads off-line, keeping them in the Mod area, and then re-sticking them when the season arrives, so as to reduce the frustration in relocating them each time.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
O
O
This one was in Town Hall I think since it had some of the more curious greetings smile

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by Herbigny
Father Deacon Daniel (with the cool kamilavka) used an Ascension Greeting that I like (but have never heard before), viz.:

Christ is Ascended!

Rx: For our Salvation!

We've always just gone back to "Slava Isusu Khrystu!"
or for the more Vostochnyy
"Z Praznykom!"

What's everyone else's experience?

Z Praznykom!

Herb

I believe I remember hearing:

Christ is Ascended!
In Glory!

Job #322715 05/23/09 03:53 AM
A little off topic, perhaps, but in recent years I have deemed it of increasing importance that we have some sort of greeting to use during Lent.

So during that season, in speech and in print, I used "Keep a good Lent". The line is not one that I can claim as original.

During my ministry I have been blessed to serve beside some truly excellent colleagues, among them, the late Reverend David Hoh, who entered into Life on Christmas Eve of 2005, and whose newsletter meditations had oftentimes assisted my inspiration. Pastor Hoh had commented in one newsletter that although we often consider the Church Year to be like a circle, an endlessly repeating cycle of feasts and fasts, in reality it is more like a spiral staircase: the progression ‘round and ‘round accompanied by a constant vertical motion. That motion is the constant growth, maturity, and aging that is our mortal human condition.

So we do not approach each Christmas, or Lent, or Easter, as the same people that we were a year before; nor shall we approach them as the same people again hereafter. Each year brings with it fresh triumphs and tragedies--each new beginning offers new challenges and chances.

I credit Pastor Hoh for the thought that we should commend one another to “keep a good Lent”. The Lenten season really does not have a greeting, like “Merry Christmas” or “Happy New Year.” So, he proposed, we should greet (and exhort) one another to “keep a good Lent.”

Job #322724 05/23/09 05:59 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by Job

Christ is Ascended!
In Glory!

Christ is Ascended!
In Glory!
But not yet for we on the Julian calendar :-)

-Marylouise

Last edited by Mlouise; 05/23/09 06:01 AM.
M
M
For some reason which I cannot remember any longer I have used "Christ has Ascended"
Rx "To the Right hand of the Father"

I just know that Jesus is there in Heaven preparing a place for those who love Him.

T
T
I was able to go to my mother church today (Byzantine-Ruthenian) and was going to ask the priest about the greeting and what do you know, it was printed in the bulletin, right after the bit about mirovanje being available today! Here is what he printed:

"Christ is Glorified!" (in slavonic--Christos Proslavlennyj!)

The response is "Exalt Him Forever!" (Velicajme Jeho vo v'iki!)

I was talking with one of the parishioners (who has been teaching religious studies since before I was born--in 1960!) and she has no memory of saying this greeting. So go figure! Has anyone else heard of this greeting?

Also, how long would one use this greeting? I presume it would start on Ascension Thursday. But how long would it continue? Until Pentecost? Or beyond? Any ideas?

Tim

A
A
Yes, tjm, I have, but in a Roman context, not Ruthenian.

T
T
Interesting. I wonder if this is another latinization? I will have to ask the priest about this. But if it is a latinization, I'm surprised so many of my parish members are not familiar with it. The priest we had for so many years while I was growing up went to a Latin RIte seminary and we had many, many latinizations--no iconostasis, no ambon, Stations of the Cross at Lent, First Holy Communion with Bishop Elko coming every year, etc. I wonder why we wouldn't have had this latinization (if it is indeed a latinization) as well?

Tim

Job #323386 05/28/09 06:36 PM
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J

Christ is Ascended!
In Glory!

Yep...that's what was used last night at vespers and this AM at DL...

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.