The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#329420 08/07/09 06:59 AM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
On the one hand, I don't think that any of the priests I know would be inclined to allow this, but on the other hand, if a 'best man's' job is to make sure the couple stays together, one's pooch might just be the best candidate!!!

When it came time to choose a best man for his wedding, a groom in the U.K. asked his English springer spaniel to accompany him on his W-A-L-K down the aisle.

David Harding, 32, said he didn't want offend his friends by having to pick one of them as best man, so he chose his faithful pooch, Frank, instead.

"Frank is a big part of our family and we wanted to include him in our wedding," said Harding's bride, Michelle. "Before the wedding we took him to the church to make sure he was all right there and asked the reverend who said he didn't mind at all -- I even noticed he had put a dog bowl out."

The trusty canine, who was decked out in a hat and tuxedo collar for the occasion, was quiet and well-behaved throughout the ceremony. And at the reception, he did no more slobbering, howling or leg humping than the average best man.

www.aol.com [aol.com]

F
F
Might be particularly appropriate for the marriage of a horse to a cow. Consenting mammals, I suppose.

Fr. Serge

O
O

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Not being the brightest light bulb when it comes to computers, can someone tell me how one links to articles by a title the way Anhelyna did in the post above.

Thanks.

Alice

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Alice,

you do this - precede the web address by a left bracket and url= (in other words, add before the web address itself)

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/n...ding/article-1214548-detail/article.html (I didn't insert those in the example because if I had, you'd only have seen the same thing Anhelyna posted, not my example. If you click on 'quote' for her post, you can see what it looks like.

She also included a bracketed b before and a bracketed /b after - to bold the title, not essential

Many years,

Neil

PS - she also tracked the story back to an original article. The problem w/ aol links like that in the opening post is that the story is transitory. It's a headline story only until the next one is posted up on aol's front page, when it moves down the screen somewhere and can be hard to find there afterwards (same is true of yahoo or any of the similar sites)

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, I got it now. Thanks, Neil.

Since I posted the whole article without excerpting it, I didn't think it needed to be accessed directly. I simply put my source at the bottom for legal purposes rather than direct access.

Anyway, let's get back on topic--the dog who stood as best man in a church!!! hehehe!

Could you just see a dog crowning a couple in an Eastern church?!? I think not!!

Regards,
Alice

On the other hand, when Prince Rainer of Monaco died his terrier was part of the procession into St. Nicholas cathedral along with his children and grand children. It was heartbreaking to see him walking behind the casket, you couldn't help but wonder if he sensed what was going on on some level.

T
T
"If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

President Harry Truman

I don't know about a dog as best man, but most dogs are more reliable than many men.

I once heard of an attempt to get the family cat to be the ring bearer.

S
S
In Washington, a friend is someone who stabs you in the chest.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.