The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 339 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,402
Posts416,796
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#330965 08/27/09 07:40 PM
OP Offline
I know I've come to the right place. I've scoured the Internet but it's hard to search when I don't know its name.

My question is what are those two paddles called during the Divine Liturgy? What are they for and who holds them?

Can't wait to hear back.

Pax Christi

H
H
are you talking about the Liturgical fans that are place behind the Holy Table?

if so, one name for them are the Ripidia

Herb

S
S
The Ripidia are liturgical fans that once were real fans, used to keep the celebrants cool and the flies away in the days when liturgy was performed in warm climates without air conditioning. They were, I think, originally carried by deacons, and thus were decorated with icons of the Cherubim and Seraphim, emblematic of the heavenly hosts. They serve that function today (but are typically carried by acolytes or altar servers), when carried in the processions of the Little Entrance and Great Entrance, and when extended over the deacon's or priest's head during the reading of the Gospel.

In some Churches, such as the Melkite, the deacon also uses a small hand fan during the unveiling of the Gifts--this really does appear to have been intended to keep flies off of the Diskos and out of the Chalice.

O
O
I have also been told that their use is also symbolic or our prayers being lifted up to Heaven by the angels

ajk Offline
They are also call hexapteryga from the Greek meaning six-winged.

At ordination, the deacon is presented with the orarion (stole), the kadilo (censer) and a ripidion; each presentation by the bishop is announced by his Axios! which is then echoed by the clergy and the people.

The liturgicon (Ruthenian Recension) states after the diaconal admonition before the Anaphora:
The deacon, having made a bow, goes into the sanctuary and, taking the ripidion, waves it devoutly over the holy gifts. If there be no ripidion, he does the same with one of the veils.

And at the subsequent sing of the Holy, holy, holy:
The deacon then approaches, and stands to his [the priest's] right; and taking the ripidion into his hands, he waves it gently over the holy gifts with attention and reverence, lest any flies or the like settle upon them.

And at the epiklesis:
The deacon lays down the ripidion and comes close to the priest and both bow three times before the holy altar.

As I recall, the Archieratikon (Pontifical) designates six deacons at the Great Entrance: one with the kadilo, one with diskos and bread, two with ripidia over the diskos and two with ripidia over the cup.

Also, here's an interesting diaconal picture showing a ripidion in hand:

[Linked Image]

I was wondering about the angel angle.

D
D
Originally Posted by StuartK
The Ripidia are liturgical fans that once were real fans, used to keep the celebrants cool and the flies away in the days when liturgy was performed in warm climates without air conditioning.

The one time I went to Our Lady of Wisdom (as part of an honor guard from the KofC for the bishop's visit), the Ripidia (though they use a different word) were indeed waived during a portion of the liturgy--the anaphora, I think. I don't know whether that is a local habit or greco-italo-albanian in general.

hawk

OP Offline
Wow that's all very interesting! Thanks for all the great information everyone!

Pax Christi!

F
F
Oddly enough, for the ordination of a Deacon, the Greeks use a very small ripidion - which seems strange, since almost any Greek Orthodox Church is supplied with lovely, full-size ripidia.

Fr. Serge

ajk Offline
A deacon being given the ripidion at ordination (Ruthenian): [Linked Image]

ajk #331079 08/29/09 03:17 PM
H
H

To what Church does the Protodeaconess belong? ie what rite is she? The vestments look byzantine.

I thought I read somewhere that women deacons of the byzantine churches wore their orars crossed in the front?

Herb

ajk Offline
The caption gives the location as Jerusalem. Her stole (was it referred to as an orarion?) is not crossed in the photo.

ajk #331269 08/31/09 04:32 AM
In the West Syriac Churches these are called "marvahatho" and they have little bells attached to the ends and are waved usually two (very rarely four for solemn feasts) in unison.

http://www.stignatious.com/qurbana/fan.jpg

http://www.stignatious.com/qurbana/qurbana.html

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 08/31/09 04:33 AM.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.