The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
L
L
Originally Posted by Hieromonk Ambrose
Originally Posted by Administrator
Interesting. But it has nothing to do with what I posted. The common dogmatic elements East and West are that there is a journey of the soul upon death and that prayers for those on the journey are helpful.

I have to admit that the idea that the soul is on a journey after death is not one I have encountered in Orthodoxy. Immediately after death the soul undergoes the Partial Judgement and finds itself in an intermediate state of either rest and repose awaiting heaven or of limited suffering awaiting hell. It is not on a journey. At the end of time this time of repose or suffering will come to an end, the final Judgement will take place and the soul will enter either heaven or hell.

I supopose that there is a kind of journey possible for those waiting to enter hell since there is still the possibility of their salvation until the final Judgement. But for those destined for heaven there is no journey.

Benedicite!

Father Ambrose,

I would like to ask you what the state of the Saints is after death. Are they already in heaven or are they still waiting to enter therein? Also, how can someone waiting to enter hell still be saved?

John
John
I have to admit that the idea that the soul is on a journey after death is not one I have encountered in Orthodoxy. Immediately after death the soul undergoes the Partial Judgement and finds itself in an intermediate state of either rest and repose awaiting heaven or of limited suffering awaiting hell. It is not on a journey. At the end of time this time of repose or suffering will come to an end, the final Judgement will take place and the soul will enter either heaven or hell.
Hmmmm.... what you describe sounds very much like a journey to me! While "awaiting" would be a concept we use (we don't know anything about time in the next life) it is a journey. I use "journey" in the spiritual sense, as the soul would first undergo parital judgement, then the intermediate state, then final Judgement, and then heaven or hell.

I suppose that there is a kind of journey possible for those waiting to enter hell since there is still the possibility of their salvation until the final Judgement. But for those destined for heaven there is no journey.
Again, it depends on how you look at it. In Eastern thought even a pure soul going right to heaven would have a journey, if only an upward one, towards the Light of Heaven.

Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky:
Through the Church we are come unto the Heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the solemn assembly and the church of the first- born, which are written in heaven, and the God the judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect (Heb, 12:22-23). Our prayerful interaction extends in all directions.
The journey of the soul begins at the moment of conception. For Christians, with Baptism and the other Mysteries to cleanse and fortify the journey towards the Heavenly Jerusalem encompasses a lifetime. The journey does not end until the final Judgment, with either heaven or hell.

Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
... how can someone waiting to enter hell still be saved?

I was reading an article recently by Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev called "Orthodox Worship as a School of Theology", and I came across the following:-

"Several years ago I came across a short article in a journal of the Coptic Church where it stated that this Church had decided to remove prayers for those held in hell from its service books, since these prayers “contradict Orthodox teaching”. Puzzled by this article, I decided to ask a representative of the Coptic Church about the reasons for this move. Recently I had the possibility to do so, and a Coptic Metropolitan replied that the decision was made by his Synod because, according their official doctrine, no prayers can help those in hell. I told the metropolitan that in the liturgical practice of the Russian Orthodox Church and other local Orthodox Churches there are prayers for those held in hell, and that we believe in their saving power. This surprised the Metropolitan, and he promised to study this question in more detail."

Here is the original article ...
http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/12/1.aspx

The journey does not end until the final Judgment, with either heaven or hell.

I suppose that when it is seen in that light the journey is never-ending. The progression into theosis is eternal and without limit or end.

S
S
I have to admit that the idea that the soul is on a journey after death is not one I have encountered in Orthodoxy.

Does not theosis continue beyond this life and into the next? How can it not, given that no creature can every fully apprehend the nature of his Creator? Do we not, in the Divine Liturgy, offer up our prayers for "most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary"? If the Mother of God is still undergoing theosis, why should not the rest of us?

Originally Posted by StuartK
Do we not, in the Divine Liturgy, offer up our prayers for "most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary"?

Yikes, no! The phrase you have quoted is not a prayer for her. It commences "Calling to remembrance our most holy..." There are NO prayers FOR the Mother of God but only prayers TO her.

John
John
Do we not, in the Divine Liturgy, offer up our prayers for "most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary"?
Yikes, no! The phrase you have quoted is not a prayer for her. It commences "Calling to remembrance our most holy..." There are NO prayers FOR the Mother of God but only prayers TO her.
Interesting question! Here is one relevant quote from the Divine Liturgy:
Moreover, we offer to You this rational sacrifice for those who departed in the faith: the forefathers, fathers, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs, confessors, ascetics and for every just spirit made perfect in faith.

And the priest, taking the censer, intones:

Especially for our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Mother of God and ever-Virgin Mary.
It certainly is an interesting question. We know that even the Mother of God was in need of a Savior. Perhaps an off-shoot discussion?

S
S
Taft has written at length about this, and his conclusion is the prayer--and similar prayers in other Oriental rites--is indeed directed towards God for the Theotokos.

As the prayer of commemoration is presented in the Ruthenian Slavonic recension, no other interpretation is possible.

John
John
I think all the translations are similar.

It is certainly interesting. I, a sinner, can ask Father Ambrose (and everyone reading this) to pray for me. He can pray for me and, in turn, ask me (and everyone else) to pray for him. Can those in heaven - including the Mother of God - do the same?

On a humorous note, I can certainly envision the Mother of God speaking to St. John the Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist: "Remember me in your prayers, tonight, John, wait until you hear about the miracle I'm going to ask Him to preform!" biggrin

Yes, this example is silly. But one can think of valid reasons for praying for someone in heaven. Maybe not all of them are silly?

Interesting question! Here is one relevant quote from the Divine Liturgy:
Moreover, we offer to You this rational sacrifice for those who departed in the faith: the forefathers, fathers, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs, confessors, ascetics and for every just spirit made perfect in faith.

And the priest, taking the censer, intones:

Especially for our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Mother of God and ever-Virgin Mary.
It certainly is an interesting question. We know that even the Mother of God was in need of a Savior. Perhaps an off-shoot discussion?

I think we may need to look at some liturgical commentaries to get the correct meaning of this and other references to Mary in the Liturgy, otherwise we shall have to confess that not only does Mary need prayer but that she is also a woman of sinfulness.

After communion as the priest places the particles from the diskos/paten into the precious Blood he prays:

"Wash away, O lord, the sins of all those commemorated here..." and the first particle which he places into the Blood is the triangular piece which commemorates the Mother of God.

Yikes! so there we have it, a liturgical teaching of the sinfulness of Mary!!

John
John
Yikes! so there we have it, a liturgical teaching of the sinfulness of Mary!!
Not so fast! That one needs prayer is not necessarily a statement that one is sinful. Be Orthodox and hold off on any conclusions until the issue is fully examined. biggrin

Taft has written at length about this, and his conclusion is the prayer--and similar prayers in other Oriental rites--is indeed directed towards God for the Theotokos.

As the prayer of commemoration is presented in the Ruthenian Slavonic recension, no other interpretation is possible.

I would agree with this if it is seen as a prayer, from within eternity, for the salvation of the Mother of God through the death of Christ on the Cross which she needed just as much as any of the other "patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs..." spoken of in the prayer of offering. In other words it is an anamnesis of an event which took place for her 2000 years ago and not an ongoing need for prayer for her.

Is Taft's writing on this available on the Net? It would be interesting to read.

S
S
otherwise we shall have to confess that not only does Mary need prayer but that she is also a woman of sinfulness.

The second does not follow from the first.

The prayer is: "Wash away the sins of all those commemorated here..." and the first particle to go into the Chalice is that commemorating the Mother of God.

I agree that this does NOT mean that Mary is a sinful woman but on the face of it this is what the text is saying. I brought this up to show that we must also be careful not to see the earlier prayer which offers the Sacrifice for the sake of Mary (and the prophets,etc.) as teaching us that she is in need of our prayers today.

S
S
I brought this up to show that we must also be careful not to see the earlier prayer which offers the Sacrifice for the sake of Mary (and the prophets,etc.) as teaching us that she is in need of our prayers today.

As the Liturgy is celebrated in kairos, not chronos, the meaning of the text perdures for eternity. What it must mean, therefore, is our prayers are efficacious for all those who have fallen asleep, because our assimilation into the divine nature can never be fully complete until the Parousia.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.