The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 350 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
That is depressing news, to put it as mildly as possible.

Fr. Serge

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
.forgot quote smile Sorry administrators smile

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
Seems to me that NOT having the ikonostas in church is one of the things that would drive Ukrainian Catholics toward the Orthodox Church.

Why? I would hope they would make that decision on proper thought, guidance and study and not on a the iconostasis.
And yes there are some established Orthodox parishes that still haven't gotten around to putting up icon screens. The faith is in our hearts. The iconostasis is a sacred symbol that leads us to strengthen our faith in our hearts.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Orthodox Pyrohy
.forgot quote smile Sorry administrators smile

Matt, my brother and friend,

Nice to see a post from you, even if you couldn't get it right grin

Many years,

Neil .oO(it's the fasting from kielbasa, throws him off his game confused)

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
I see I was insufficiently clear in my post. Go back & take a gander @ post #345347, where the deliberate omission of the ikonostasis is explored.

While faith is certainly primarily in the heart, we Byzantine Christians can legitimately expect that in it's external, liturgical expression, it be expressed in as complete a manner as possible.

True, the iknostasis is expensive; and not every community can afford one. But in such cases, seems to me it would be appropriate to erect at least a temporary attempt to have one - as has been mentioned in other posts on this topic.

Like you, I hope that Ukrainian Catholics who decide to go over to the Orthodox Church would so so not on the basis of one thing alone but also because they have carefully thought it through, and have received pastoral guidance in their choice of the faith community to which they will adhere,

F
F
Just received some lovely photographs of Holy Spirit Seminary in L'viv. The icon-screen is a masterpiece.

Fr. Serge

My son took a large number of both the new seminary chapel and the new wooden traditional Hutsul chapel on the UCU campus, and indeed both are very beautiful. The UCU iconography class was housed in the new seminary last summer.

C
OP Offline
C
Having read your post you must be from Thunder Bay area or at least be down their fairly often to know what you know.I have tried many times to get a answer about that and the possiblity of getting an icon screen.What i propose to you is if you were to get yourself and friends of yours who go to either of the 3 Ukranian Catholic churches in TBay.Were too start a petition on getting an icon screen we would be able im sure to get one.The priest is new and i dont think wants to make any changes without most parishoners being agreed.I would love to do that myself but i am a new Ukranian Catholic.I think perhaps one that more experience should give it a try and would have more impact.

C
OP Offline
C
Glory Glory praise the lord my parish the Excultation of the Holy Cross in Thunder Bay Ontario is finally getting an icon screen. Here's a little update the Church of Assention has officially closed which although for the parishioners their it's terrible news but I am happy about it. The reason why is our priest is taking many of the lovely items for the church including icons, vestments, and most importantly the icon wall. He has been the priest at our church for 5 years and has always wanted to put one in the church. In light of recent developments he thought that now was the time. The only thing that would need to occur for it to fit in our church is a wooden frame which is being built. Part of the reason for that is the Holy cross is larger than the Assention church and our church interior has a lot of wood in it. Please comment I'm excited to hear what you all think!

church248 #380216 05/18/12 06:24 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
church,

Wonderful news for your parish, albeit sad for the Ascension parish. I hope that when the iconostasis is in place, that you'll post some photos in the gallery.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Irish Melkite #380304 05/20/12 05:43 PM
G
G
Xpucmoc Bockpec

I casually mentioned to a few parishoners who are friends of mine that I would be nice if the iconstasis from the Church of the Ascension was moved to Holy Cross.

The reaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
" There is going to be trouble"
"They won't like that!"
" That is why we got away from ( The Church of )Transfiguration and the old calendar."
"We don't need that stuff! frown

It was interesting that one of the ladies many many!!years ago said to me that we are here to be a bridge between you (Orthodox) and the Catholic church. I think to myself now....just what kind of bridge??? ah maybe, it is a tight-rope.

Unworthy
Kolya

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.