The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L

Anyone know if any Eastern Catholic or Orthodox Churches in the USA regularly offer Divine Liturgy in these languages ?

R
R
Mother of God Ukrainian Greek Catholic parish in Atlanta, GA (Conyers) offers Divine Liturgy in Spanish every Sunday. Fr. Annibal, the 2nd priest at the parish, is from Argentina.

G
G
St John the Baptist Melkite Greek Catholic Church
200 E. North Ave., Northlake,
IL 60164

Divine Liturgy in Spanish 9:oo AM

Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church
2055 Coral Way, Miami
FL 33176

Spanish: 9:00 AM (Sunday)

St. Jude Melkite Catholic Church
126 Southeast 15th Road, Miami,
FL 33129

Spanish: 6:00 PM (Sunday)

Our Lady of Regla Antiochian Orthodox Church
1920 Southwest 6th Street, Miami
FL 33135

Spanish (Schedule unknown)

F
F
I believe Archbishop Job of the OCA(ETERNAL MEMORY) blessed one parish in Illinois to serve in Polish to minister to Orthodox Christians from Poland.

St. Seraphim Cathedral in Dallas, TX

J
J
I don't know about the other eparchies but in Passaic Bishop Skurla has prohibited using Spanish in the Divine Liturgy. It ws used at a parish up in Connecticut but Bishop Skurla ordered the priest to stop using it. The priest was told that we cannot evangelize Hispanics. They belong to the Roman Catholics and we need to send them there. Our mission is only to ethnic Ruthenians.

J
J
That is a very unfortunate comment on the Bishop's part. Living in San Antonio I am well aware of how many Hispanics are unchurched or the most nominal of Roman Catholics. Many Hispanics would respond very well to the sense of community and the solemnity of the worship they find in an Eastern parish. I know that there are Hispanic families who are members at St. John Chrysostom in Houston. There are three Polish National Catholic Churches in Texas and all of them are overwhelmingly Hispanic. It is sad that the Bishop would take such a stance.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Jason D
I don't know about the other eparchies but in Passaic Bishop Skurla has prohibited using Spanish in the Divine Liturgy. It ws used at a parish up in Connecticut but Bishop Skurla ordered the priest to stop using it. The priest was told that we cannot evangelize Hispanics. They belong to the Roman Catholics and we need to send them there. Our mission is only to ethnic Ruthenians.

If accurate (and I have a suspicion that it is, based on something told to me previously by a friend), that is a truly sad stance that has been taken.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
C
C
Originally Posted by JimG
That is a very unfortunate comment on the Bishop's part. Living in San Antonio I am well aware of how many Hispanics are unchurched or the most nominal of Roman Catholics. Many Hispanics would respond very well to the sense of community and the solemnity of the worship they find in an Eastern parish. I know that there are Hispanic families who are members at St. John Chrysostom in Houston. There are three Polish National Catholic Churches in Texas and all of them are overwhelmingly Hispanic. It is sad that the Bishop would take such a stance.

Christ is born!

How odd! I know that, in one parish in the South, Bishop William ordered the priest to combine the Spanish and English liturgies into one bi-lingual liturgy on Sunday.

G
G
St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral
2300 W. 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90057

Sunday Spanish Typika or Liturgy: 8:00 AM

G
G
Originally Posted by Jason D

That is sad!!!! cry

His Grace should take a trip to the Eparchy of Phoenix, Arizona, where Latino families are joining Byzantine Catholic parishes.

D
D
He *must* be aware of that; that is his previous see!

I was at the (then) pro-cathedral for Pascha (though he was traveling), and the Gospel was read in English, Greek, Slavonic, and Spanish . . .

G
G
Originally Posted by dochawk
He *must* be aware of that; that is his previous see!

I was at the (then) pro-cathedral for Pascha (though he was traveling), and the Gospel was read in English, Greek, Slavonic, and Spanish . . .

D'oh!!!!

Today's not my day! Why didn't I see that. I've been forgetful lately. Thanks for the correction.

S
S
When the Liturgy is served in Spanish in Greek Catholic and other EC communities in the U.S., what translation is used?

Last edited by sielos ilgesys; 01/30/11 04:25 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.