The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#361012 03/03/11 03:09 PM
J
JimG Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is it common to ask the priest to bless icons when one gets new ones for his home prayer wall? Is there a difference between depending on how the icon was made (written vs. reproduced)?

JimG #361014 03/03/11 03:17 PM
The blessing is the same regadless of its status as a copy or original. By all means have the icons blessed before using them in the icon corner.

Diak #361019 03/03/11 08:40 PM
And there are miraculous icons that are reproductions. The icon of "Svinsk" in Briansk is a reproduction.

Alex

JimG #417924 01/22/18 03:47 AM
T
T
What is the proper way to have an icon blessed? I've been away from the Church for a long time, and now that I'm back, it's at a RC parish and they know nothing about blessing an icon other than praying over it like they would a rosary. From what I remember, you bring your icon to church and the priest puts it on the altar during Divine Liturgy so it's present during the consecration of the Eucharist (or in this case, it would be Mass since I have no access to any Eastern Rite parish), but I don't remember if the priest had a specific prayer to say over the icon. Besides, my RC priest said that in the Western Rite they are not allowed to put anything on the altar during Mass, so the best he can do is let me put the icon somewhere nearby to receive the blessing of being present during the consecration of the Eucharist.

Am I remembering correctly the method to get my icons blessed? Is there a specific prayer I can forward to the RC priest to bless them with?

Tammy #417981 02/07/18 09:01 PM
Tammy:

Christ is in our midst!!

A friend from this forum gave me an icon that was blessed by being placed on the altar during Divine Liturgy at his Ukrainian Orthodox parish. I had other icons blessed by being placed in a special cabinet in the altar for 40 days at both a Greek Orthodox and Syrian/Antiochian Orthodox parish. The practice must vary.

Our former RC priest allowed an icon writer i our parish to place icons in our Reservation Chapel--a small chapel where the tabernacle was kept and in which we could go for private prayer and meditation. He then blessed the new icons after the 40-day period with the Lord.

Bob

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.