The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
http://www.sedmitza.ru/news/3062231.html

The Church of Hagia Sophia in Nicaea, site of the Seventh Ecumenical Council, began to function as a mosque

19.07.2012 16:28

Source: Sedmitsa.Ru

ISTANBUL. Historic Church of St. Sophia in Nicaea (modern Iznik, Turkey), where in 787, held the Seventh Ecumenical Council, began to function as a mosque, to which has already been assigned aMufti. This is reported by "Romfea."

Hagia Sophia in Nicaea was first converted into a mosque in 1331, after the conquest of Asia Minor in the Byzantine Empire, by the Ottoman Turks. It remained a mosque until the arrival of the troops in the region of the Greek army during the campaign that they made in Asia Minor after the First World War.

In 1922 the church burned down and for a long time was in ruins. Then it was restored, but until recently there was no mosque, no church, and was turned into a museum.

As previously reported, the Turkish government has recently decided to abolish the museum in the church of Hagia Sophia and give it to the Islamic community as a mosque. The beginning of the Islamic prayer meetings in this ancient Christian shrine coincides with the beginning of the period of fasting of Ramadan.

During the reign of the Holy Roman Emperor. Constantine the Great, in 325 AD, Nicaea was held in the First Ecumenical Council.
The Council adopted the so-called Also at the Council was determined during the celebration of Pascha, common to all Christians.
The Seventh Ecumenical (or the Second Nicene) Council , which was condemned the iconoclastic heresy. Iznik remains the titular metropolitanate of Patriarchate of Constantinople and the nominal episcopate of the Roman Catholic Church (however, to this diocese since 1976, no one has been assigned).

Is outrage!

R
R
Sad, but not unexpected, given the historical behavior of the Turks toward Christians.

S
S
Yecch. Gag.

One of my takes on Islam is that it is - among other things - a recurring manifestation of Arianism. Kinda like an inextricable malignant neoplasm in the body of the human race.

Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
Yecch. Gag.

One of my takes on Islam is that it is - among other things - a recurring manifestation of Arianism.

Aye, coupled with hyper-Pelagianism.

It won't be for very long, if one takes to heart the words of holy men of Mt. Athos...

This has reminded me of something I read a few weeks ago about the underlying fear that some of the local Muslim population has toward Hagia Sophia. They want it to be a mosque, yet at the same time they're nervous about it.

Mysterious Hagia Sophia Frightens the Turks
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/06/mysterious-hagia-sophia-frightens-turks.html

One thing the article mentions is that the very fact that it is built in the shape of a cross makes them apprehensive. Not to mention all the hidden crosses and icons which have been uncovered throughout the interior.

J
J
Originally Posted by Alice
It won't be for very long, if one takes to heart the words of holy men of Mt. Athos...
I don't think I've heard anything about this. What are they saying?

S
S
I hate saying this, but this horse went out of the barn centuries ago. That being said, it would have been better for them I think to keep it as a museum.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/w...turned-into-a-mosque.html?pagewanted=all

The site was converted into a mosque by the Ottoman conquerors of Iznik in the 14th century, but fell into disrepair and was abandoned long before the Turkish Republic was founded in 1923.

Restored by district authorities and the foundations directorate in 2007, the Hagia Sophia became in the past few years the focal point of Christian tourism to Iznik. Last year, 40,000 foreign tourists visited the town, according to its chamber of commerce.

S
S
The building will be better tended as a mosque than it was as a museum.

E
E
The Muslims in general have a history of taking over other religion's holy sites. I guess their "We conquered it, we do whatever we want with it" mentality prevails still.

Then again, it's not like we Christians haven't done this to each others denominations. A lot of old Roman Catholic churches in my area went under and were replaced by some random Protestant group that just basically moves into the old Catholic building.

S
S
People who buy Crystal Cathedrals shouldn't throw stones.

Originally Posted by StuartK

Great aisle space, though, for liturgical dance ...

Originally Posted by StuartK

Ugh. What ever possessed them? Never mind; it's not my diocese...but really. Ugh.

I understand there are Muslims in Turkey who are clamoring for the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople (Istanbul) to be used as a mosque once again. May Heaven forbid it. Although, Heaven didn't forbid it the first time it was conquered by Islamics and turned into a mosque, so it doesn't seem that the building has as much sentimental value in Heaven as it does for us earthbound Christians. Still, it would be nice to see those minarets come crashing down and the the basilica's legendary silver iconostasis replaced. My suspicion, however, is that an earthquake is going to bring the whole pile crashing down before long. Happily, the Christian Church isn't built of brick and mortar.

In my neck of the woods, the Polish National Catholics built a cathedral in the first decade of the 20th century which was sold to the Muslims (who converted it into a mosque) in the last decade of the 20th century. The crosses atop the bell towers were replaced by crescent moons, which now loom triumphantly...over a decayed, largely abandoned, rat-infested, crime-ridden neighborhood of crack houses and homicides.

Stupid question please!

Why do we call the Church "Hagia Sophia in Nicea"? Hagia Sophia means "Holy Wisdom" and is the name of the Cathedral in Constantinople currently occupied by the Mohammedans. Is there more than one Hagia Sophia or is like every other Church in which we reuse names like the Church of Saint John, etc...?

Last edited by Ray S.; 07/24/12 11:58 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.