The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I just came across this in my Facebook feed today, and felt that this was certainly something to bring to the attention of all here...

Originally Posted by The Call of Woonsocket
WOONSOCKET – When Tina Perkins answered the pounding on the rectory door, the pastor’s wife from St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church couldn’t believe what she was seeing.
Flames had broken through the roof of the iconic granite church located at 74 Harris Ave., just 20 yards or so from the side door of the rectory.
“The firefighters were banging on the door, telling us to get the kids out of the house,” she said. “The back of the church was engulfed in flames. It got up into the roof and was coming through the rafters.”
Firefighters were summoned to the blaze just after 4:30 a.m. Wednesday by a 911 call which Perkins surmises must have been placed by a neighbor. The church has a fire alarm, she said, but it’s not hard-wired to the Woonsocket Fire Department.
“We didn’t hear it,” she said.
As the faint glow of dawn broke, the flames had been extinguished and smoke could be seen wafting from two charred gashes in the slate roof of the 70-year-old church. No one was injured.

Source Link: http://www.woonsocketcall.com/node/6760

I pray for all the congregation, and for the community from this parish that they will find safety in the Divine Lord and for His tender mercy on all.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 11/26/12 01:50 AM.
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
I pray that this tragedy will bring St. Michael's parishioners closer together, that they will successfully rebuild their church, and that working to rebuild the church's physical plant will contribute to a spiritual renewal for all.

M
M
So I read the cause of the fire was a smoldering charcoal briquet placed into a plastic garbage can. Any idea who placed the charcoal and burning incese in the plastic can that started the fire? Was it an altar server by mistake or did the priest mistakenly place the burning charcoal into the plastic can? I had originally thought the fire was caused by electrical problems but rather I read in numerous newspapers that it was caused by careless human error. is this true?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I missed this originally. Visited St Michael's once - a lovely church. Prayers for the priest and congregation.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.