The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#389152 12/22/12 02:37 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello,

Does anybody know from where to purchase Holy Oil? Also, is it possible to purchase holy oil from Holy sites like Church of Resurrection in Jerusalem or from saints holy sites?

thanks

There you are... [byzantineseminarypress.com]

Let's hope this link, and the Lord God, will guide you in the right direction with your choice.

I dont think you can purchase oil that is already blessed (Simony)...
You can buy non blessed and take it to a priest.

C
OP Offline
C
thank you for your responses. Today while going to a morning mass at my Church. I decided to go to our priest for a blessing. The priest anointed me with oil and he gave me Holy Oil and he asked me , "Do you know what is this?" I told him it's holy oil, then he told me, "that the oil was taken from the Icon of Virgin Mary", so I believe it was miraculous holy oil. Thanks to God

Originally Posted by ChaldeanCatholic
Today while going to a morning mass at my Church. I decided to go to our priest for a blessing. The priest anointed me with oil and he gave me Holy Oil and he asked me , "Do you know what is this?" I told him it's holy oil, then he told me, "that the oil was taken from the Icon of Virgin Mary", so I believe it was miraculous holy oil. Thanks to God.

I think it's marvelous when the priest will anoint the worshipers with oil after the liturgy; I know of one priest who does this alot. I wish the others would. I wish our Roman Catholic clergy would do things like this, for that matter. Those extra efforts really are like special touches from God that encourage and lift one up. I'm always grateful to encounter a priest who knows better than to neglect such things.

K
K
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
I think it's marvelous when the priest will anoint the worshipers with oil after the liturgy; I know of one priest who does this alot. I wish the others would. I wish our Roman Catholic clergy would do things like this, for that matter. Those extra efforts really are like special touches from God that encourage and lift one up. I'm always grateful to encounter a priest who knows better than to neglect such things.

At the parish my family has been visiting. The priest after liturgy anoints everyone who comes forward. I really like this. One of my concerns from leaving the Episcopal church and coming to the Roman Catholic church was the conservative use of anointing oils. I am so glad that this is not the case in the ECC.

KirkB #389642 01/07/13 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by KirkB
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper

At the parish my family has been visiting. The priest after liturgy anoints everyone who comes forward. I really like this. One of my concerns from leaving the Episcopal church and coming to the Roman Catholic church was the conservative use of anointing oils. I am so glad that this is not the case in the ECC.

My parish practice is to have anointing available at least one Sunday per month (generally first Sunday) and at every weekday liturgy. Anointing is done in conjunction with the Communion distribution so that those in need do not need to walk to the rail twice.

I know that St. John's Cathedral has a practice of anointing the heads of all prior to leaving from the Divine Liturgy. Not sure if this was every Sunday, but it certainly was the norm during the Phillip's Fast and the Nativity season for sure.

D
D
We do it at least every other month, and I think it's more often than that, but not quite every month.

Generally, that's also when we have the antidoron.

And, of course, sacramental anointing during Holy Week.

hawk

B
B
Originally Posted by dochawk
We do it at least every other month, and I think it's more often than that, but not quite every month.

Generally, that's also when we have the antidoron.

And, of course, sacramental anointing during Holy Week.

hawk

I always thought that anointing with oil after Divine Liturgy was prescribed for certain times. We always have anointing after Liturgy on major feasts and on the following Sunday. We have antidoron every week.

It is interesting to hear how other parishes do things. There are so few Byzantine churches out here that we don't get much of a chance to experience other parishes.

Well, I know that there are some, like St. John the Baptist Cathedral where Fr. Hayduk seems to make it a practice to anoint everyone after every Divine Liturgy, although that might have been special during the Nativity/Theophany season, as well as the Advent season leading up to it. Not sure.

C
OP Offline
C

D
D
Hello, I am purchasing some holy oil to be blessed from the Byzantine Catholic seminary. I have a few questions?
1) The website states it should be mixed with olive oil. Can this be the same from the grocery store?
2) Should I premix the anoint oil with olive oil prior to being blessed or should I just have the anointing oil bottle itself blest?

Thank you

Christ is in our midst!!

Devin,

Do you think it might be best to ask the priest who preforms the blessing?

D
D
Theophan,

Thank you for your reply. I have thought of it. My parish priest is from Ukraine and his English isn't the best, so I thought if there was a standard practice I could come prepared.

I also have a Roman priest friend, who could give me guidance if he does the blessing. I would request he use the Pre-Vatican blessing. As an aside, I am certainly appreciative of Vatican II as blessing and work of the Holy Spirit and I think it got more things right than wrong when it comes to liturgy, but I think the Book of Blessings is the nadir of liturgical reform in the west frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.