The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 371 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Thought this was interesting:
http://fatherdavidbirdosb.blogspot.com/2013/03/when-st-gregory-great-was-elected-pope.html?m=1

For those of us interested in Catholic relations with the Orthodox, his introductory speech holds out many hopes.   He made it clear that his first task is the evangelisation of the diocese of Rome as its bishop, and he spoke of the "church of Rome", rather than himself personally, as having first place in the Catholic Church.   This echoes the theology of Affanasiev and eucharistic ecclesiology.   He is pope BECAUSE he is Bishop pf Rome; so that, if history wishes to judge his papacy, its criticism must begin, not with his impact of the universal Church, but with his impact on Rome.   For him, the "new evangelisation" begins at home.   I am sure that the Orthodox patriarchs will welcome this emphasis. 

Also read elsewhere about how he's already starting to try to be less distinguishable from his brother bishops as far as vestments, etc. Pretty interesting!

OP Offline
From his first speech:
You know that it was the duty of the Conclave to give Rome a Bishop. It seems that my brother Cardinals have gone to the ends of the earth to get one... but here we are... I thank you for your welcome. The diocesan community of Rome now has its Bishop. Thank you! And first of all, I would like to offer a prayer for our Bishop Emeritus, Benedict XVI. Let us pray together for him, that the Lord may bless him and that Our Lady may keep him.(Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory Be... )
And now, we take up this journey: Bishop and People. This journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches. A journey of fraternity, of love, of trust among us. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world, that there may be a great spirit of fraternity. It is my hope for you that this journey of the Church, which we start today, and in which my Cardinal Vicar, here present, will assist me, will be fruitful for the evangelization of this most beautiful city

C
C
I must say, I've been indifferent about the new Pope but I'm starting to like him.

Well, I do believe that this Pope will indeed do everything to make sure that we are stable and strong for a while. There's a lot more to like about him. The only drawback I have is that given his age, a lot of people were hoping for a young Pope that can hold a long tenure, but, I don't think there'll be as many complaints as first thought. We might be heading for a direction that might be for the better.

S
S
He is pope BECAUSE he is Bishop pf Rome

Gee, who's been saying that around here since, well, forever?

Do you think that maybe the cardinals chose this man for more than one reason?

Of course they feel that he's the right man at this point in time. But maybe with His Holiness, Pope Emeritus Benedict's, example, the time may be right to consider that this type of succession might be the new normal: about a decade. Maybe it's time to think that a Pope shouldn't die with his boots on unable to function as did Pope John Paul II of thrice blessed memory.

It's been said that it might take the Church many more decades to absorb and digest the huge volume of Pope John Paul II's philosophical and theological work. So maybe there is no desire for another long papacy for a half century or so.

Bob

OP Offline
Originally Posted by StuartK
He is pope BECAUSE he is Bishop pf Rome

Gee, who's been saying that around here since, well, forever?

I admit I thought of you when I read that, Stuart. Was hoping you'd see this thread! smile

E
E
I agree--the emphasis on the city of Rome was striking. I think the entire speech was addressed to the people of Rome and his reference to the church catholic was limited to a phrase--still addressed to the people of the local church of Rome--that it 'presides over all the churches in charity.' I don't really speak Italian and was relying on another language to extract some approximated meaning from his discourse. I am really very curious to know if that phrase was singular or plural. Can anyone tell me for sure?

"Striking" is precisely the expression I would use. He referenced himself again on Saturday as "bishop" ("vescovo") during his audience with journalists. I wondered if this language would generate any sort of twitter amongst the Orthodox. I'm sure Constantinople must have taken note of it. I see the Patriarch is set to attend the Pope's installation. This all smells of something very interesting to me.

E
E
The Pope has also emphasized the local responsibility of his office as Rome's bishop by using only Italian to address the public. He also presided over his first Sunday liturgy in the parish church of St. Anne, rather than St. Peter's.

J
J
I agree the local bishop should be the leader of the community. This Roman Catholic idea of there being only one bishop for the Catholic Church and all other bishops being his assistant just doesn't work.

But on the bad side it means that Rome will never intervene in the Ruthenian Church. So there is little hope of overturning the Revised Divine Liturgy and healing the damage the bishops have caused with it. So it's best for those who love authentic liturgy to make their homes elsewhere.

S
S
But on the bad side it means that Rome will never intervene in the Ruthenian Church.

Well, I've always said that Rome had something of a moral responsibility for rehabilitating the Eastern Catholics, because it is in large part responsible for their lamentable condition. That said, the Ruthenians made their bed, and now they must lay in it. As for the RDL, in typical Ruthenian fashion, it will quietly be discarded without anyone acknowledging so, and will be replaced by any number of alternatives, according to the inclinations of individual parish priests working to save their churches. But, if everything plays out according to type, at the end of the day the Ruthenian faithful themselves will probably reject the option of fully celebrating the Divine Liturgy according to the Slavonic Recension, whether in English or in Slavonic. Neither will they ever accept celebration of Vespers and Orthros according to the normative texts, but instead will opt for whatever is most convenient and least onerous for them.

Well, it's funny, brother Stuart: I know plenty of my fellow parishioners are still using the older liturgical books, for presanctified, out of habit.

B
B
May we all pray that the old divisions come to an end. With the election of Pope Francis, I think we faithful Christians are witnesses to what a papacy of St. Francis of Assisi would have looked like!

Orthodox and Catholics one, again. Let us pray to the Lord.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by StuartK
... if everything plays out according to type, at the end of the day the Ruthenian faithful themselves will probably reject the option of fully celebrating the Divine Liturgy according to the Slavonic Recension, whether in English or in Slavonic. Neither will they ever accept celebration of Vespers and Orthros according to the normative texts, but instead will opt for whatever is most convenient and least onerous for them.
They've been well trained in that attitude. frown

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.