The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Originally Posted by StuartK
Indeed, it would take many Miller's to fill just one of Archimandrite Robert's shoes.

My little toe is thicker than his thigh -Solomon, more or less.

Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Originally Posted by ajk
I picked up some "sister churches" terminology in Fr. Robert's remarks that may give the wrong impression of Catholic understanding and theology/ecclesiology. See the link on the interview page, upper right-hand-side: The CWR Blog "Sister Churches": A Clarification [catholicworldreport.com].
So, we can add Fr. Taft to the list of those who "do not instruct their people adequately and update them"?

Or is Mr. Miller "One Catholic remedy for this—its usefulness proven by the rage it provokes in the exposed bigots—is the factual diffusion of their views, objectively and without editorial comment...permanently recorded for posterity, thereby exposing them to the public embarrassment they merit. This is especially important for some representatives... who speak out of both sides of their mouth, saying one thing at international ecumenical venues, and quite another for the consumption of [non-]Orthodox audiences or in publications they do not expect the []Orthodox to read."?

Why is someone "whose father was Ukrainian Catholic and whose mother was of the Latin rite" calling Fr. Taft "Abouna"?

I do think the anti-western bigotry exists among the Orthodox (especially on the internet); but even I had to cringe a little at the triumphalistic way he talks about said bigotry.

It would be nice to clarify the actual lung tissue of the eastern lung according to the diagnosis of Fr. Taft and his magisterium.
Are you saying it's cloudy?

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Peter J
Originally Posted by ajk
I picked up some "sister churches" terminology in Fr. Robert's remarks that may give the wrong impression of Catholic understanding and theology/ecclesiology. See the link on the interview page, upper right-hand-side: The CWR Blog "Sister Churches": A Clarification [catholicworldreport.com].
Indeed. He said: "we are no longer the only kid on the block, the whole Church of Christ, but one Sister Church among others" but that should be: "we are no longer the only kid on the block, the whole Church of Christ, but one twenty-three Sister Churches among others".
"twenty-three" -- and thus adding more to the confusion about the Catholic understanding of the term and the underlying ecclesiology; see NOTE ON THE EXPRESSION «SISTER CHURCHES» [vatican.va]

Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by ajk
Indeed. He said: "we are no longer the only kid on the block, the whole Church of Christ, but one Sister Church among others" but that should be: "we are no longer the only kid on the block, the whole Church of Christ, but one twenty-three Sister Churches among others".
"twenty-three" -- and thus adding more to the confusion about the Catholic understanding of the term and the underlying ecclesiology; see NOTE ON THE EXPRESSION «SISTER CHURCHES» [vatican.va]
Trying to understand what you're saying here ... how does pointing out that we Catholics are 23 sister churches add confusion?

C
C
It would be nice to clarify the actual lung tissue of the eastern lung according to the diagnosis of Fr. Taft and his magisterium.
Are you saying it's cloudy?

Isn't it. We've said it several times across different forums, why is the Eastern Church, which is actually a number of autocephalous Churches and also a number of traditions (counting the Oriental traditions) lumped together as one, while the West which is the Latin Church and Latin Tradition, the other? So that imagery shows that the lone West is equal to the multitude in the East.

There's a lump too? I think this is my worst x-ray ever!

L
L
I posted about this interview on OC.net. I was pretty impressed with what Fr. Taft had to say, but his jabs at the more traditionalist Orthodox probably aren't going to win him many non-Catholic admirers.

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by lovesupreme
I posted about this interview on OC.net. I was pretty impressed with what Fr. Taft had to say, but his jabs at the more traditionalist Orthodox probably aren't going to win him many non-Catholic admirers.

True, but I would not be surprised if a non-edited transcript of the interview were reviewed, Father Taft probably directed a few jabs at the Catholic ultra-trads as well.

S
S
The "more traditionalist Orthodox" are, at this point, unreconcilable anyway. It's axiomatic not to waste time or breath trying to convince people who don't want to listen in the first place. On the other hand, there are lots of more moderate Orthodox who do not reflexively reject ecumenism as the "Great Panheresy", and they are likely to be interested in what Taft has to say--he is, in fact, widely respected and admired among the Orthodox both for his scholarship and his piety.

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by StuartK
The "more traditionalist Orthodox" are, at this point, unreconcilable anyway. It's axiomatic not to waste time or breath trying to convince people who don't want to listen in the first place. On the other hand, there are lots of more moderate Orthodox who do not reflexively reject ecumenism as the "Great Panheresy", and they are likely to be interested in what Taft has to say--he is, in fact, widely respected and admired among the Orthodox both for his scholarship and his piety.

This can be confirmed by simply reviewing the websites of most canonically united Orthodox church bodies.Pictures and articles confirm this.

The anti ecumenical voices are mostly bloviating online or at least have had the integrity to follow their beliefs into schism, reschism, further schism and so on.

Originally Posted by lovesupreme

That seems a bit over-reaching. "... aren't going to win him many Orthodox admirers" would make more sense.

B
B
Is it not the mission of the sui iuris Eastern churches to disappear? I don't mean that rudely, but won't the Eastern Catholic Churches "melt" into the Orthodox Church when there is true unity again?

B
B
Doesn't that simply reflect the ancient Pentarchy? Their was no single head of the Church, yet they were all united. The Orthodox Church is comprised of national churches united by the One Faith.

*Catholic with Orthodox sympathies*

Originally Posted by ConstantineTG
Isn't it. We've said it several times across different forums, why is the Eastern Church, which is actually a number of autocephalous Churches and also a number of traditions (counting the Oriental traditions) lumped together as one, while the West which is the Latin Church and Latin Tradition, the other? So that imagery shows that the lone West is equal to the multitude in the East.

B
B
Some questions, as someone sitting on the fence between Orthodoxy and Catholicism:

1. If Rome was always Supreme, did the early Bishops of Rome appoint the bishops of other dioceses?

2. Why were early councils called by and presided over other bishops (such as the Council of Jerusalem), instead of the Bishop/Pope of Rome? Why did emperors like Constantine convene councils, instead of the Roman Pope?

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.