The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 336 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,399
Posts416,769
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#397555 08/01/13 07:28 PM
OP Offline
Peace be with you,

I'm new and probably out of place on this forum but I joined because I've been looking for somebody who apparently used to post in these forums. Hence, I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help me get in contact with him.

The person I'm seeking to contact is one Fr. Kyrill, an Orthodox hieromonk who is also a Third Order Carmelite. Does anyone know where I can find him please?

I had located an email for somebody matching his description but it bounced. Has anyone been in contact with him recently?

If it helps, I believe I may have located some old posts by him in a topic called St. Therese of Lisieux and the Eastern Catholic Churches.

Thank you for your assistance and remember me please in your prayers.

Just google Dennis "Kyrill" Esposito and you can find all kinds of information on vagante groups, various titles, heraldry and other uncanonical, yet interesting sideshows on the person mentioned. He is not a canonical Orthodox nor Catholic anything as far as I'm aware.

Oh, yes, and a most recent search will find involvement in "bright dawn Buddhism", such is the trend of most costume holy men and fad religious.

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 08/02/13 10:08 AM.
OP Offline
Thank you for your assistance Michael smile

The search makes me wonder whether there could be more than one person with the same name, or at least whether this is the same Fr. Kyrill mentioned in the article linked to by Manual at the end of this old thread: SS. John and Teresa

That link is out of date but the site is available on the Internet Archive as: An Orthodox Monks Pilgrimage to Carmel [web.archive.org]

It is difficult to tell from the photos there whether or not this is in fact the same man whose picture appears on: Kyrill Esposito's Page - Bright Dawn Sangha [brightdawnsangha.ning.com]

The age difference could indicate that it is the same man yet the ears of the latter appear to sit wide whereas the former, even in the shots without a hat, seem not to do so. Then there is the the nose width and other potential issues yet this is probably better a puzzle resolved by asking the man from the Sangha whether he is the former rather than analysing small photos of insufficient resolution.

Your words remind me of the importance of one of the first things a Carmelite wrote to me - nothing in Carmel is ever rushed.

Kindly remember me please,

I'm fairly certain it's the same fellow, and it's best to avoid contact with him:
Monk Details Sex, Drugs, Weeping Icon at Texas ROCOR Monastery

Brownsville Herald, USA - Apr. 15, 2007 (Edited by OCH)

www.brownsvilleherald.com [brownsvilleherald.com]
www.ReligionNewsBlog.com [religionnewsblog.com]

Monday April 16, 2007

Note of Interest: You will find in this article the name of Archbishop Pangratios (Demetrios Vrionis), however, you will not read that he was at one time Archdeacon to His Eminence Archbishop Iakovos of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America.

One of five monks facing charges of sexually abusing children told authorities that an inner circle of monks at the monastery there had sex with one another, smoked marijuana and used an eyedropper to produce fake tears on a Virgin Mary icon. The allegations are the latest revelation into life at The Christ of the Hills Monastery, in Blanco Texas, which was allied with and under the omophor of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia from 1991 to 1999. The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia broke ties with the monastery when allegations surfaced of indecency by San Antonio-businessman-turned-monk Samuel Greene with an 11-year-old novice monk studying there. Greene pleaded guilty in 2000 to indecency and was sentenced to 10 years probation. Monk Jonathan Hitt received a 10-year prison sentence in the case. Greene, Hitt and three others were charged last year with sexual assault of a child and engaging in organized crime. All the monks except Hitt are free on bail and awaiting trial, authorities said.

In July, monk Hugh Brian Fallon detailed to investigators some of the activities going on at the monastery. That statement was released by court order last month. The monks claimed that a Virgin Mary icon wept tears of myrrh, but those tears came from an eyedropper Greene kept in his nightstand, Fallon said. Greene encouraged sex among the monks and would offer marijuana "when people were having problems," Fallon said in his statement. A man who answered Greene's phone Sunday said that the monk is not talking to the media and had no comment. Last year, the insurance company for the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia settled a claim by a man who says he was abused as a teenager at the monastery. "I don't know whether any of these individuals is a legitimate clergyman or not," said [Blanco County, TX] District Attorney Sam Oatman. "We'll find out, but I don't believe they are." He seems not to be the only one confused about the issue, as more questionable information comes in from our longtime detractor Derek "Fr. Aidan" Keller. He wrote: "The Blanco monastery has no Old Catholic history. They went from being Roman Catholic monks to the Pangratios group, and from there into ROCOR, then Kyiv [sic.], then back to Pangratios." The fact remains Blanco was not legitimate Orthodox, and thus could be classified as vagante, for the better part of its foul existence -- and remains so today.

The history of Blanco, as with most such groups, is difficult to track with certainty. The fact that Samuel A. Greene was known as "Bishop Benedict" when Christ of the Hills came (briefly) under its only canonical jurisdiction, ROCOR, should be sufficient to settle this contention. Apparently this group had a number of vagante experiences. It is reported to have had some germination as part of the Roman Catholic Church. Then in the 1970s, it went under its own banner, "Ecumenical Monks Inc.," a "non-denominational" outreach to anyone interested in monasticism, regardless of confession. This has all the marks of a vagante era, though it is not a well-documented time.

Blanco gained its only period of legitimacy as part of ROCOR, 1991-99. After ROCOR expelled it in early 1999, it then joined an alleged "Ukrainian Orthodox" church -- not the Kievan Patriarchate, but what seems to be another claimant of dubious canonicity. * For the vast majority of its career -- before ROCOR and after this Kiev group -- COTH has been under an episcopoi vagante named "Pangratios" (Demetrios G. Vrionis) -- not to be confused with a priest of the same name arrested last Monday. This "Pangratios" was "bishop" for the "Archdiocese of Vasiloupolis" (Queens), which he founded personally after being deposed by the Greek Orthodox Church. He was later convicted of child molestation. Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver told the press: "None of our bishops consecrated him as a bishop...It's like a doctor operating without a license." Vrionis's own website refers to his group as "an independent Orthodox church," the definition of vagante. Whether his group was technically under an offshoot of the Union of Utrecht or not is semantics, of which Keller is a past master. Vrionis is not a legitimate Orthodox bishop but part of the broader vagante movement, which appropriates the Orthodox name for its own purposes (in Blanco's case, pederasty and fraud).

One can see why Keller may wish to obscure Pangratios' legitimacy. According to Al Green, an Orthodox authority on Pseudodox groups, "A cohort of Pangratios is 'Vicar Bishop' Kyrill (Esposito), reputedly consecrated by Pangratios in 1999."** This would be the same man listed as "H. Ex., Rt. Rev. Bishop Kyrill (Esposito), Vicar Bishop of the Archdiocese" on the archdiocesan directory of the Milan Synod, Keller's longtime ecclesiastical home. Blanco has dishonored the term "Orthodox" too long; good men would not aid them. * - The Milan Synod claimed it had ordained him as a bishop and that he denied (or obscured) that ordination when applying to the OCA. ** - Incidentally, Dennis "Kyrill" Esposito is also listed as a professed lay member of the Roman Catholic "Third Order of Carmelites" (an "Isolate Member" of the "Most Pure Heart of Mary Province"), as well as Chaplain General for the Most Honorable Order of Christian Knights of the Rose.

He's also listed here, where somehow he adds Anglicanism, Yoga, Hinduism and monastic Buddhism into the religious/theological soup:
Originally Posted by http://www.lotusblossom.us/faculty.htm
Dom Kyrill Esposito, OSB, DD/Yin Che Seishin, OLB

Yin Che is a solemnly professed hermit monk of the Benedictine Order. He is also an ordained Bhikku (monk) of the Order of the Lotus Blossom.

Yin Che's education and background is in the Liberal Arts, Philosophy and Theology. He worked in the administration of parishes, dioceses and theological institutions. Yin Che studied and practiced Zen under Jundo Cohen (Soto Zen Treeleaf Sangha) and Fa Jian Shakya. He is now the spiritual director for clergy in the Anglican Church.

Yin Che studied Eastern religion and philosophies of Yoga, Hinduism and Buddhism for over 45 years. He is certified in several Reiki practices (Usui Teate Reiki).

OP Offline
Thanks for your information Michael.

It's sad to hear of such wanderer's fates. Nonetheless, if he's ended up among some branch of Anglicans then perhaps that is where he belongs. Have you heard of the Sikh who is an Anglican priest? They allow everything these days and it seems very good that the Roman Pope opened a door for faithful Anglicans to enter into communion with Rome and leave their ailing corpse. Reminds us of when St Athanasius spoke of the Arians having the churches (i.e. buildings) but "we have the Faith".

In regards to the monk Kyrill, while I can see that he certainly has had connections with disreputable company, was he ever part of the ex-ROCOR monastery you mentioned himself? Having now read a number of articles on it, I've found the names (both civil and assumed) of several of the people there who were criminally charged yet did not find him amongst them.

Agreed that he has clearly had connections with quite a variety of religious groups, which shows that he is unsettled and lacks loyalty to a guide but not necessarily that he is immoral himself. I have found the names of at least two other people from that community (i.e. the ex/pseudo-monastery) who appear to have been personally ignorant (perhaps naive) of events which took place there until after the scandal broke. It's sad to see well intentioned people caught up in situations like this.

Having looked a little around the Lotus Blossom site you linked to, it didn't take long for me to spot something which was plainly blasphemous. (I distinguish between teachings which Christianity simply does not hold but may still possess some value, those which are incorrect due to doctrinal differences or misunderstandings, and those which are outrightly against Christianity. The item I refer to was of the final sort.)

The photo from that site looks like the same man and he fairly resembles the earlier mentioned photos too.

If he does reply to my efforts of making contact I may be able to have some interesting academic discussions with him; yet for spiritual purposes, I agree that it is best to avoid contact with him seeing he would appear to be a wandering star.

Thank you very much for your assistance and please remember me in your prayers.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.