The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399000 09/09/13 06:33 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I'd like to share with you some great news!

St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic church in Sacramento, California will offer a Divine Liturgy in Church Slavonic on the occasion of the feast of the Protection of the Theotokos. The Divine Liturgy will be held on October 1 at 5:30 pm.

All are invited to attend! (We would especially appreciate the presence of those who can actually sing the liturgy, since most of us cannot.)

D
DMD Offline
D
If I were there, I'd help,even as a "pravoslavnyj"! wink

Now if only these could be held on a regular basis like they were 20 - 30 years ago. Oh times, why hath thou forsakest us? I remember I had to learn the Slavonic Divine Liturgy as part of my ECF and Altar Boy training way, way back when.

G
G
As a youngster we went to the Ukrainian Church here way back in the 40's and the Liturgy was in Slavonic and everything was learned from memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When the language was changed to modern Ukrainian...boy the trouble...the melody was the same but the syllables in Ukrainian were hard to force into the melody at times BUT!!!eventually it worked.
After years of just Ukrainian we forgot the Slavonic completely frown Then in the 70's my brother and I went to the Ukrainian SSR at that time and attended Divine Liturgy in the Church of the Nativity(?) in Ternopil. The Liturgy was in Slavonic and for a few seconds we were at a loss..........but then instantly the Slavonic words flowed from our lips as if we had never forgotten them smile as if it was just yesterday and not decades ago. The old timers there looked at us in amazement and asked us how we were able to sing everything. What a happy memory!!!!! But here in Canada we have not heard the Old Slavonic since that time frown
Congratulation on your Liturgy МНОГАЯ ЛІТА

Unworthy but smile
Kolya

D
DMD Offline
D
Good news! This year, the seminarians at Christ the Savior Seminary in Johnstown(ACROD) are taking a class in the use of Church Slavonic!

S
S
My wife and daughter have both taken OCS twice--the former at GU and Harvard, the latter at Penn and Chicago. I think this means they are more proficient in Slavonic than about 90% of all the priests in most ostensibly Slavic jurisdictions in this country.

I kindly asked if my priest has a copy of the old Ruthenian recension book, because he's one of the few who can read some slavonic, and actually uses it, in his vesting prayers.

S
S
You can get a complete set from Eastern Christian Publications, in twelve volumes.

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by StuartK
My wife and daughter have both taken OCS twice--the former at GU and Harvard, the latter at Penn and Chicago. I think this means they are more proficient in Slavonic than about 90% of all the priests in most ostensibly Slavic jurisdictions in this country.

Try the world...

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
You would have been quite welcome by me! It was well attended esecially for a Tuesday evening at 5:30 pm (rush hour commute) About 20 or so attended, with two priests concelebrating.

The only glitches were technology related. The battery on my digital recorder went just before the start of the liturgy, no time to run out and buy a new one and I didn't have the spare battery I thought i had. The other glitch was the pictures I took are stuck on my SD card which now locks up my computer when I try to copy the images to the computer.

Originally Posted by StuartK
You can get a complete set from Eastern Christian Publications, in twelve volumes.

looking around, and looking at at that monthly payment package which does seem more manageable :p.

M
M
I am sure ROCOR priests where there is no exclusive use of English know Slavonic best. I wonder, however, how well their Russian parishoners understand.

D
DMD Offline
D
Try pronouncing Slavonic in a Ruthenian or Ukranian parish using the ROCOR standard pronunciation of CS and one can understand the wisdom of using English or Ukrainian vernacular. smile

Let's not forget that the Serbian Orthodox use the ROCOR version of Church Slavonic, too. However, I honestly believe that the Ruthenian/Ukrainian standard is probably a bit easier to pronounce.

C
C
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Let's not forget that the Serbian Orthodox use the ROCOR version of Church Slavonic, too. However, I honestly believe that the Ruthenian/Ukrainian standard is probably a bit easier to pronounce.

If by "version" you mean "pronunciation" then that's not quite correct. Serbs have their own way of pronouncing Church Slavonic distinct from Russians, Ruthenians, Ukrainians, etc. These days, in Serbian Orthodox parishes, the choir will sing in Church Slavonic while the priest frequently does his portions in modern Serbian.

Fr. David

Last edited by Chtec; 11/14/13 12:31 PM.

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.