The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
How do you know I've cherry-picked anything?

You pulled one quote out of context from Fr. Meyendorff. That is cherry-picking. It's okay, I am guilty of that often. grin

Pope Honorius was not condemned as a Monothelite but as someone who did not condemn the views of Sergius et al.

The council called him an outright heretic. There is no sugar coating it.[/quote]

S
S
Whoah! Recluse and I are on the same page with this one. The words of the Council are both harsh and unambiguous--deservedly so.

Originally Posted by StuartK
Whoah! Recluse and I are on the same page with this one.

Break out the Baklava! grin

Well, if I have brought Stuart and Recluse together on some thing -- I think I deserve some sort of online citation for this!

The point is still what kind of "heretic" Pope Honorius was condemned as.

The qualitative difference is still there. He didn't act as pope when he should have to counter Monothelitism. It was St Agatho, his successor, who did so and the Council praised Agatho for doing that.

Sometimes the issue of Honorius is brought forward as a jab at the papacy.

In fact, while Honorius failed and was condemned, it was he that was condemned and not the papacy.

That was the point I was responding to in Fr. Morris' post.

Long live the Pope! (There, I might have brought Stuart and Recluse together yet again . . . is there no online citation that I would be up for here?)

See, Recluse, I'm not so bad after all. And as for you, Stuart . . . grin

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 01/12/14 06:18 PM.
The point is still what kind of "heretic" Pope Honorius was condemned as.

There are not "degrees" of heretics. A heretic is a heretic. The council condemned him as a heretic.

In fact, while Honorius failed and was condemned, it was he that was condemned and not the papacy.

He was the Pope....and he was a heretic. I'm not sure why you are trying to twist it.

Dear Recluse,

There are certainly degrees of heresy, like sinfulness, and theologians/historians examine such subtleties.

If you see things in black and white, that's your call and I respect it.

Again, it was not my intention to "twist" anything. But if you would like to impute motive, that's your call.

Thanks for lighting the candle for Jeremy.

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 01/12/14 11:04 PM.
U
U
Originally Posted by StuartK
The words of the Council are both harsh and unambiguous--deservedly so.

No way, Stu, just conciliar over-kill, if you ask me.

Dear Utroque,

Thank you for your insight here!

Alex

There are certainly degrees of heresy

Sorry if it disturbs you Alex. But there is no way around it. Pope Honorius was a heretic and the council was very clear about it.

Unfortunately, the discussion which he was looking for that he had hoped would help his family isn't going to happen on this Forum.

You can most certainly continue your discussion on the other thread if you think it will help Jeremy and his family. But I will not be a part of the discourse. I can only pray for them.

Last edited by Recluse; 01/12/14 11:10 PM.
U
U
Dear Utroque,

Thank you for your insight here!

Alex

Insightful or not, this whole thing against poor Pope Honorius is a non-starter.

1. Pope Honorius was condemned by the Council as an heretic for an heresy he did not teach.

2. He was not, nor could he have been there, to defend himself.

3. His letters (the evidence) were burned. Poof!

That's enough for me. Was there treachery involved? Who knows? Like I sad, "Over-kill".

Originally Posted by Utroque
1. Pope Honorius was condemned by the Council as an heretic for an heresy he did not teach.

So you do not believe the council? You think he was not a heretic?

2. He was not, nor could he have been there, to defend himself.

The anathema was repeated many times after that council.

That's enough for me. Was there treachery involved? Who knows?

Wow! Treachery! So the Holy Spirit did not guide this council when they condemned him as a heretic?

In fact, the case of Honorius is often quoted by those who are against the authority of the Pope of Rome.

It was his successor, Pope St Agatho, who led the charge to condemn Honorius via his letter.

Agatho spoke with the Voice of Peter in that letter as he condemned Monothelitism and what his predecessor did. He did not present his letter to the Council for deliberation.

The Council accepted the papal letter with enthusiasm and proclaimed that Peter had indeed spoken through Agatho.

So the fact that this Bishop of Rome, Honorius, was condemned had no bearing on the usually habitual orthodox authority of the Bishops of Rome.

If we were to question the authority of the Pope based on Honorius' case, we would also have to question that of the Eastern Patriarchs, since a number were condemned along with Honorius.

And there have been many more heresiarchs who have occupied the Sees of the Christian East than at Rome.

Alex

U
U
It was his successor, Pope St Agatho, who led the charge to condemn Honorius via his letter.

Agatho spoke with the Voice of Peter in that letter as he condemned Monothelitism and what his predecessor did. He did not present his letter to the Council for deliberation.

In the letters of Pope St. Agatho to the Emperor and Council that I have read he mentions nothing of Honorius. He does write this very poignant passage:

Wherefore the predecessors of Apostolic memory of my littleness, learned in the doctrine of the Lord, ever since the prelates of the Church of Constantinople have been trying to introduce into the immaculate Church of Christ an heretical innovation, have never ceased to exhort and warn them with many prayers, that they should, at least by silence, desist from the heretical error of the depraved dogma, lest from this they make the beginning of a split in the unity of the Church, by asserting one will, and one operation of the two natures in the one Jesus Christ our Lord: a thing which the Arians and the Apollinarists, the Eutychians, the Timotheans, the Acephali, the Theodosians and the Gaianitae taught, and every heretical madness, whether of those who confound, or of those who divide the mystery of the Incarnation of Christ.

If we were to question the authority of the Pope based on Honorius' case, we would also have to question that of the Eastern Patriarchs, since a number were condemned along with Honorius.

There were many in the East who were also anathematized for the same heresy. That is the point. The East does not attribute supremacy or infallibility to Her Patriarchs.

In the letters of Pope St. Agatho to the Emperor and Council that I have read he mentions nothing of Honorius.

Let us look at the Council again. It is very clear.

SESSION XVI.

(Labbe and Cossart, Concilia, Tom. VI., col. 1010.)
[The Acclamations of the Fathers.]

Many years to the Emperor! Many years to Constantine, our great Emperor! Many years to the Orthodox King! Many years to our Emperor that maketh peace! Many years to Constantine, a second Martian! Many years to Constantine, a new Theodosius! Many years to Constantine, a new Justinian! Many years to the keeper of the orthodox faith! O Lord preserve the foundation of the Churches!O Lord preserve the keeper of the faith!
Many years to Agatho, Pope of Rome! Many years to George, Patriarch of Constantinople! Many years to Theophanus, Patriarch of Antioch! Many years to the orthodox council! Many years to the orthodox Senate!

To Theodore of Pharan, the heretic, anathema! To Sergius, the heretic, anathema! To Cyrus, the heretic, anathema! To Honorius, the heretic, anathema! To Pyrthus, the heretic, anathema!

To Paul the heretic, anathema!
To Peter the heretic, anathema!
To Macarius the heretic, anathema!
To Stephen the heretic, anathema!
To Polychronius the heretic, anathema!
To Apergius of Perga the heretic, anathema!
To all heretics, anathema! To all who side with heretics, anathema!

May the faith of the Christians increase, and long years to the orthodox and Ecumenical Council!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.