The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
http://groong.usc.edu/news/msg494560.html

McCain also just got done meeting with the leaders of the fascist protestors in the Ukraine.

http://www.channel4.com/news/ukraine-mccain-far-right-svoboda-anti-semitic-protests

McCain has become an embarrassment and a danger to Christians everywhere.

Disgusting and shameful.

Glory be to Jesus Christ!!

After all the news about the Central African Republic and the violence against the Muslim minority, I've been wondering why there is not equal interest in the plight of Christians in the Middle East, Pakistan, the Balkans, and other places around the world.

I guess we're the ones that are targeted because we are seen as being against the agenda of so many politically correct societies today. I'm not surprised to learn about Senator McCain. It seems that there is not a dimes worth of difference between the two political parties when it comes to the attitude toward Christians, whether foreign or domestic.

Bob

What disturbs me even more is hearing that there are three "Abrahamic religions" and we must include Islam as equal to the first two. I'm long past the time when I will accept that Islam is equal to Christ.

Bob

An interesting article from Forbes about a suicide bombing instructor accidentally blowing up his class (of beheading happy murderers). Read the author's insight about these extremists (called 'secular moderates' by McCain and the Administration) and their quest to reestablish the Islamic caliphate across the region.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpeck/2014/02/11/suicide-bomb-instructor-blows-up-his-own-class/

Originally Posted by theophan

After all the news about the Central African Republic and the violence against the Muslim minority, I've been wondering why there is not equal interest in the plight of Christians in the Middle East, Pakistan, the Balkans, and other places around the world.

I guess we're the ones that are targeted because we are seen as being against the agenda of so many politically correct societies today. I'm not surprised to learn about Senator McCain. It seems that there is not a dimes worth of difference between the two political parties when it comes to the attitude toward Christians, whether foreign or domestic.

Bob

What I don't understand is our foreign policy. Even the liberal NY Times has labeled the Syrian rebels as extremists belonging to Al-Nusra and Al-Qaeda.

What is wrong with our country???? I am so ashamed and perplexed and angry.

On the one hand, we are fighting Islamist terrorists that waged war on us, and on the other hand we are arming them and helping them kill. Our hands are bloody. Is that the honour we give our own innocent citizens of 9/11 that died for no reason other than being American (and in the eyes of Al-Qaeda, Christian)?

D
D
I'm not surprised about McCain. It is shameful. What grieves me even more is how so many Christians turn to the Republicans to solve our problems, as if they are more Godly. Politics will not bring healing to our world.

S
S
Amen! Politics are not the answer. The world's problems will not be solved by worldly efforts. The Kingdom of God is not built following worldly methods.

Further, can anyone wonder why the world sees the US as a very arrogant nation? Don't we in the US understand why that's a problem?

μιχαηλ της συστρατιωτης

Originally Posted by David-MD
What grieves me even more is how so many Christians turn to the Republicans to solve our problems, as if they are more Godly. Politics will not bring healing to our world.

One thing is for sure...politics will not bring healing, and Republicans cannot solve our problems. But Christian voters in this country have the obligation to vote for politicians whom they feel will govern in a way that may align more with their Christian morals and values. Most Republicans say they are pro-life and pro-heterosexual marriage among other things. Most democrats are pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage. They wanted to take God out of their platform in 2012. We must vote according to our conscience.

Having said that, I just read that the group who kidnapped the nuns from St Thekla Monastery (who originally claimed they were protecting the nuns from harm) have been identified as Al-Nusra militants. They are now asking for 500 terrorists to be released from prison in exchange for the nuns. Also, the extremists who kidnapped the bishops may also be prepared to offer some type of exchange because of pressure from the Turks. Somebody needs to shake some sense into Mr. McCain....he is a real disappointment.

Last edited by Recluse; 02/14/14 11:46 AM.
As for the issue raised regarding the "fascists," I quote from an Open Address to the Jews of the World by the Kyivan historian Vitaliy Nakhmanovich:

"Two months ago, the citizens of Ukraine, who have snatched a few breaths of the air of freedom over the last twenty years, went out to a square with one demand: to stop the country from becoming a dictatorship and to return hope for a brighter future to its people. Since then they have been standing at Kyiv's Maidan and many other squares all over the country. It is not just Ukrainians who are making the stand, but also Russians, Armenians, Belarusians, Crimean Tatars. And the Jews are standing as well. The government threw special police forces and the internal military at them, hired thugs and frightened government employees - all those who still carry within them the Soviet-bred indifference to their own future and a fear to lose the piece of stale bread that they are fed with by the almighty bureaucrat.

"...today it is time to remember that our (Jewish) people received their right to immortality three and a half thousand years ago not just by promising to fulfill God's commandments, but to bring knowledge of Him to all peoples. Today, 45 million people from a country that had been watered with our blood, too, ask only for Justice and Mercy. Do we truly have the right to deny them that?"

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 02/14/14 03:36 PM.
OP Offline

J
jjp Offline
J
The US supports al Qaeda in Syria for reasons of realpolitik. Democracy or morality are of no consequence. They're only conjured for the domestic audience.

Ask yourself which middle eastern countries benefit from a chaotic Syria.

Dear Slavipodvizhnyk,

Don't believe everything you read as Gospel.

Just the Gospel itself.

As for fascism, it can apply to many systems including the Bolshevik system which is still alive and well. The sites you have given above, including the first one, paints only a partial picture of what is going on - and a tendentious one at best. They are written by people who would support Bolshevism at the drop of a hat, for the most part.

Everyone has the right to fight for their own freedom against oppression.

The people in Kyiv and elsewhere have gone to Confession, have received Communion and are now ready to die for their freedom.

I pray for them, those Ukrainians, Russians, Armenians, Tatars and Jews, daily with sorrow and with tears.

They have already won their victory over an ancient fascism by means of Divine Grace.

Everything else will occur according to God's Will.

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 02/14/14 11:35 PM.
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Don't believe everything you read as Gospel.

Indeed! And that cuts both ways. wink

G
G

Дуже Дякую Alex =Very much thank you Alex

Garaj

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.