The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Since I and my family are worshipping at a Latin Rite church, I would like to start implementing, to whatever extent possible, the liturgical feasts/fasts at home. Any good resources out there to help me do this, since I know next to nothing about it?

Are the feast/fast days the same in Serbian Orthodox as they are Byzantine of Former Yugoslavia? Starting this all from scratch is harrowing, but worth it I think.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

We have found the following to be a wonderful book in helping our family to live the liturgical year in our own domestic church/home, A Guide for the Domestic Church :
http://store.godwithusbooks.org/melkite-educational-services/a-guide-for-the-domestic-church/

Another wonderful resource has been the book, Byzantine Catholic Prayer for the Home (Common Prayers, Devotional Prayers, Evening & Morning Prayers, The Office of Hours, The Menaion), which we purchased from St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church in Seattle, WA some years ago.

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you! I have actually seen that website and boook (and spoke to the lady who runs it--she is very sweet). I will be purchasing it this week and looking forward to reading it.

Scott

E
E
The Publican's Prayer Book and The Book of Hours published by Sophia Press are also very worthwhile.

E
E
The Publican's Prayer Book and The Book of Hours published by Sophia Press are also very worthwhile.

I second the recommendation of the Publican's Prayer Book & also recommend the Byzantine Book of Prayer from Byzantine Seminary Press.

A good free resource which is still available in many parishes is a 2014 Church Calendar. Stop in any Eastern parish to pick one up on a Sunday morning. You may have to ask for one; they may be put away now.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Paul B
A good free resource which is still available in many parishes is a 2014 Church Calendar. Stop in any Eastern parish to pick one up on a Sunday morning. You may have to ask for one; they may be put away now.

Yes, as soon as I can get to one, I will be using the church as a resource. We are quite isolated from ANY eastern church, Byzantine or otherwise. The closest is about 2 1/2 hours away, hence my problem. Converting to something that I have literally never seen the real life face of is causing quite a bit of distress for me.

Are you Serbian descent?

Are you Serbian Orthodox?

If you have been baptized you can attend ANY canonical Orthodox church - just tell the pastor what you are doing.

I fully understand your problem in Diaspora - 2.5 hours in Texas is really just like a drive around the block though - right?

I would ask yourself why you want to be Serbian Orthodox if you are Roman Catholic and discern that for a while frankly.

Believe me - I fully understand the innate desire to bond with your genetic, ethnic, and cultural heritage.

In my case - my Father - was in the United States Airforce during the COLD WAR. It was politically incorrect in his job to claim allegiance to anything communist - 1950's 1960's.
So our culture was lost in our family and my Irish Catholic mother took over (despite the convention to raise the family in the faith of the Father) - we were raised Roman Catholic.

My love of Orthodoxy grew from my investigation into my LOST cultural heritage - songs of Serbia - visiting Yugoslavia before the war - and ultimately leading (through the music) to a love of Orthodoxy.

Amazingly I have seen Serbian Orthodox with a Serbian Orthodox church 10 minutes away attend an OCA church and others.

It is very very difficult to establish and maintain the faith from a distance - I do it - I drive 2 hours to church - one year I did it for EVERY SINGLE FEAST DAY which is a PUSH!

You can attend any Orthodox Church - you can also attend minimally the major feast days of Nativity and Pascha and fulfill your Orthodox duties - You may want to discuss your situation with both parties (Roman Catholic and Serbian Orthodox)

Back to my Grandparents and Father - they settled in Globe Arizona - back in the times when there was very little communications - telephones were rare - there was an enclave of Serbian Orthodox men who worked the copper mines - they may have seen the Bishop from Los Angeles ONCE OR TWICE in their lifetime.

My Grandmother prayed the prayers and kept the faith - my father was assimilated into American Culture and where we lived - it was NEVER convenient to attend Serbian Orthodox services.

Right now even though I can go to a Serbian Church in Las Vegas - I attend a Russian Orthodox Church instead. My heritage is Krajina Serb - and there are people within the church who see my last name as a Croatian name and they have problems with it - so even though I have grown to love the Serbian Orthodoxy - I only attend once or twice a year.

The internet has assisted me in learning about the faith and the chants and the liturgy with the wonderful resources of facebook, blogsites, youtube and others.

I converse with Serbians all the time in Serbia via the internet one - a choir director who has helped me immensely in understanding the liturgy and the faith.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ... DON'T GIVE UP!

M
M
Where is the Russian Orthodox Church in Nevada ?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by haydukovich
Are you Serbian descent?

Are you Serbian Orthodox?

Hi. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I am of Serbian descent. (Dad escaped from Yugoslavia in '58--I was born in California and chrismated Serbian Orthodox).

I was raised to be protestant, but have since married a latin catholic. I am on a spiritual journey right now, which is A LONG story. But technically speaking, I am a Serbian Orthodox who was not really raised in the tradition, converting to Greek Catholic of the Former Yugoslavia. This is because the Byzantine/Eastern right was given to me at birth.

You need to return to the Faith of your Fathers.

I understand your choices - Ease of worship = less headaches.

Get yourself on a Rule Prayer and attend liturgy when you can - you can go the the RC church and not take communion just to be with your wife for certain. Is she going to convert for you.

Take that drive - get yourself an email spiritual Father and good luck.

Originally Posted by haydukovich
Take that drive - get yourself an email spiritual Father and good luck.

In all seriousness, how does one do that? Do you know of any that are worthy of the appellation "spiritual father"? Because, if you do, I'd like to know! smile

Last edited by J Michael; 02/19/14 03:32 PM.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.